New to DE's Looking for Razor Suggestions+Noob Guide

There are always differing opinions on what advice to give to new Wet Shavers. Personally, I do not suggest a blade sampler pack, cream sampler pack, or any sampler packs, at all. I suggest that a new Wet Shaver read the threads here and elsewhere to get an idea of good suggestions for products and then buy the best quality they can afford of: 1 razor, 1 blade type, and 1 cream/soap, and use them for at least a month, ideally even longer.

The reason I give this advice is because the most important thing for a new Wet Shaver is practicing and mastering technique and building new muscle memory in their hands. A new Wet Shaver needs to "unlearn" years--or sometimes decades--of cartridge-shaving habits. In order to properly do that, he has to isolate and eliminate the products as a factor and just focus on technique. If he changes creams, razors, and blades in a billion different combinations every few days... then how is he going to know what's causing his irritation or poor results? Could it be his technique? Could it be the pressure or angle? Could it be the cream? Could it be the razor? Could it be the blade? Maybe combination number 1,204,520,530,270,520,580 will do the trick... And that's what a lot of new Wet Shavers end up doing, and it just causes them a great deal of frustration and confusion in their dangerous and pointless search for the "right" product that will fix the problem, when the real problem is their poor technique due to insufficient Wet Shaving experience and knowledge.

That's why I disagree with sampler packs. New Wet Shavers, in my humble opinion, should get the best quality they can (based on real reviews here and on other websites) and buy just 1 razor, 1 blade type, and 1 cream and stick to them and focus on their technique for a while... in my opinion two months or more. Then, when they are absolutely sure that they've got the technique down, they might consider branching out to other razors, blades, and creams/soaps to see if they like something else better. Then they will know if it truly is the cream/blade/razor or their technique that is causing irritation or poor results.

Just my two pesos.

Last edited:
I appreciate the advice. I have just ordered a Edwin Jagger DE89BA11 Barley Chrome razor, a sample pack of the top 5 blades from my research, and some razorock soap along with a cheap (yet very well reviewed and liked) Omega Boar/Badger brush.

Mag: I do understand what you are saying. My plan is to use all of each pack of blades starting with Feather or Astra or ? (use all X amount before moving on). I will only use 1 razor, and 1 scent of Razorock soap before switching anything up. I would also agree about it being extremely based around one's skill. I plan on making my first 20-30 or more shaves exactly the same as far as prep, soap, blades, razor, aftershave, and even brush. I think what you said hit the nail on the head.

Also, I came to the conclusion of the DE89 Chrome Barley from many, many reviews and recommendations. Seems to be very noob friendly, yet good enough to be THE one razor for a long time if that's what it comes too. I, however, like many knife guys on this forum suffer from habitual buying of toys and gadgets, so I may not be immune to razors but I will try to hold off for as long as I can.

Thank you to everyone who chimed in. This is a discussion that will continue as my stuff comes in.

I think you will be quite pleased with the EJ barley. The chrome on that thing is gorgeous and it is a very mild, forgiving shaver.

I use Shave Secret as a pre oil too and VDH luxury soap. I can get the luxury puck at only one local Target. It is available on line as well.

About the only thing that I would add is Thayer's witch hazel to your current method. I have lemon and cucumber and just love the stuff. Once I have finished with my cold water splash, I splash on Thayer's and it soothes and heals. I used to have these little red dots (not really razor bump...just unsightly red dots) on my neck and the WH has about cured them completely.

You can find Thayers locally at health food/nutrition type stores. Or you can use generic WH found pretty much anywhere but it won't have the scents that Thayers has.

Good luck with the razor.

I don't know what blades are in the sample pack you bought, but I wouldn't start with Feathers. They are the sharpest blade out there yet can be very unforgiving if your technique is off, I used Astras in my fist or second week of shaving and they were much more forgiving to the odd time I would add pressure to my shave without realizing what I did till it was too late. Dorco 301s were the easiest on my face, and I made the mistake of buy 100 of them early on. About 6 months into traditional wet shaving I tried my first IP Red and was hooked right away, I bought 100 of them too. I still have most of the Dorco 301s, I look at them as my back up blade if I ever run out of my primary blades for some reason, but I also buy more IP Reds before I run out so I don't have to use the Dorcos:eek:

You should be very pleased withe the DE89A11, it is a much nicer looking razor than the 89L and that says a lot about how nice it looks. I would still have my DE89L, but I gave it to a friend that helped me out with a few things and was wanting to try wet shaving. I keep looking at the DE89A11 as a replacement for that 89L, but vintage razors keep grabbing my razor money some how:confused:

I appreciate the advice. I have just ordered a Edwin Jagger DE89BA11 Barley Chrome razor, a sample pack of the top 5 blades from my research, and some razorock soap along with a cheap (yet very well reviewed and liked) Omega Boar/Badger brush.

Mag: I do understand what you are saying. My plan is to use all of each pack of blades starting with Feather or Astra or ? (use all X amount before moving on). I will only use 1 razor, and 1 scent of Razorock soap before switching anything up. I would also agree about it being extremely based around one's skill. I plan on making my first 20-30 or more shaves exactly the same as far as prep, soap, blades, razor, aftershave, and even brush. I think what you said hit the nail on the head.

Also, I came to the conclusion of the DE89 Chrome Barley from many, many reviews and recommendations. Seems to be very noob friendly, yet good enough to be THE one razor for a long time if that's what it comes too. I, however, like many knife guys on this forum suffer from habitual buying of toys and gadgets, so I may not be immune to razors but I will try to hold off for as long as I can.

Thank you to everyone who chimed in. This is a discussion that will continue as my stuff comes in.

Sage advice about not starting with the Feathers. I started with Derby's and you might get a pack with the Jagger, depending on where you bought it from.

Both of my EJs came with a pack of them.

If you didn't get Astras with your sample pack and you would like some, drop me a PM and I will send you a pack to try out.

One other thing I would get is a squeeze bottle of rubbing alcohol. I always disinfect my razors after rinsing them before putting them in their razor stands. I get my RA at Publix for cheap.

I should have ten Derby blades coming, Ten Astras, Ten Personna Reds, Twenty Israeli somethings, and Twenty Feathers. Ill probably start with the Derby's, or the Crystal Israeli's or something like that then.

Good advice about the rubbing alcohol. I have a small spray bottle that I put some in just for that purpose. I use that on my disposable razors, and will use it on my new EJ when it comes in. The bottle was previously filled with some type of disinfectant, so I just refilled it with rubbing alcohol.

Starting Wet Shaving with Feathers is just fine. I started with Feathers. Lots of people do. The sharpness of the Feathers forces you to learn proper technique. If a new Wet Shaver is careful and has done his homework, he'll know about proper beard prep, lathering, keeping the right blade angle, and starting with a WTG pass. The Feather is a fantastic blade to start with to learn good technique. I used a Feather exclusively for my first six months of Wet Shaving.

But there is another, even better reason to start with Feathers: going from Feathers to a less-sharp blade is easy. The people who cut themselves with Feathers are the ones who did it the opposite way: starting with the less-sharp blade and moving up to Feathers.

I would go with the Astras first, Derby blades can be very inconsistent, ranging from reasonable to darn right horribly dull. If the Persona Reds are the Israeli ones, I find they are one smooth blade, not the sharpest, but amazing gentle on the face all while giving a good close shave. I have never tried the Crystals so I can't say anything about them good or bad. I feel it is better to learn to enjoy the shave first, and work on technique with the milder blades, then move to the Feather. Everyone should try using Feather blades if nothing more than to learn if they like them or not.

When it comes to finding a blade, what works for me, or what works for Joe Blow, could be way off base for you, so take every blade suggestion with a grain of salt till you try it yourself.

I should have ten Derby blades coming, Ten Astras, Ten Personna Reds, Twenty Israeli somethings, and Twenty Feathers. Ill probably start with the Derby's, or the Crystal Israeli's or something like that then.

Good advice about the rubbing alcohol. I have a small spray bottle that I put some in just for that purpose. I use that on my disposable razors, and will use it on my new EJ when it comes in. The bottle was previously filled with some type of disinfectant, so I just refilled it with rubbing alcohol.

Shaving? I haven't shaved in at least five years. Don't understand what all the fuss is about.:D

Um, you might want to change your avatar pic before you say that. Just between us friends.:D

Clean-shaven is just my look. I just don't like the way I look in a beard or mustache. On the other hand, I haven't had a haircut in a year-and-a-half and that one was for an important court appearance. But I do think I look best with a clean shave.

I am not a "hobby shaver." To those here who are, I mean no disrespect. It just isn't a hobby for me personally. Some people never cook. Others know how to make a few simple dishes and they own a few pots and pans and they get by. Others build elaborate kitchens and attend classes all over the world and spend many hours developing cooking skills all just as a hobby. Some people own a few knives and maybe take them for sharpening once a year. Some have a good set of knives and some sharpening skills. Others -- such as myself -- own hundreds of knives and travel the world going to knife shows. Many things can be done at many levels from utility to obsession.

For me, shaving is a lot closer to utility. I have one razor which I like and which I hope to use until my last day. I feel no need or desire for more. I have one brush which I like. I know that it will wear out and need replacement eventually. But, until then, I feel no need or desire for more (maybe a travel brush, but that is a utilitarian need since my brush is large and takes up a lot of space in a suitcase). I want to get to one soap. I was was there and it got yanked out from under me. I will get there again. Even now, as I search for a new soap, my process is to use the same soap every day for months to evaluate a full cake of each candidate. And my plan is not to search the world and try every shaving soap known to man, but just to evaluate the major, most-commonly-available options. I did a similar thing with blades and have settled on just a couple of brands I like. I feel no need to scour the world and try every kind of blade available.

And my real goal is to save money. Cartridge and Can is very expensive. I am sure that DE shaving saves my upwards of $300 a year. That is significant smack. And that's why I like to tell other guys about this. It is a significant and real savings.

Clean-shaven is just my look. I just don't like the way I look in a beard or mustache. On the other hand, I haven't had a haircut in a year-and-a-half and that one was for an important court appearance. But I do think I look best with a clean shave.

I am not a "hobby shaver." To those here who are, I mean no disrespect. It just isn't a hobby for me personally. Some people never cook. Others know how to make a few simple dishes and they own a few pots and pans and they get by. Others build elaborate kitchens and attend classes all over the world and spend many hours developing cooking skills all just as a hobby. Some people own a few knives and maybe take them for sharpening once a year. Some have a good set of knives and some sharpening skills. Others -- such as myself -- own hundreds of knives and travel the world going to knife shows. Many things can be done at many levels from utility to obsession.

For me, shaving is a lot closer to utility. I have one razor which I like and which I hope to use until my last day. I feel no need or desire for more. I have one brush which I like. I know that it will wear out and need replacement eventually. But, until then, I feel no need or desire for more (maybe a travel brush, but that is a utilitarian need since my brush is large and takes up a lot of space in a suitcase). I want to get to one soap. I was was there and it got yanked out from under me. I will get there again. Even now, as I search for a new soap, my process is to use the same soap every day for months to evaluate a full cake of each candidate. And my plan is not to search the world and try every shaving soap known to man, but just to evaluate the major, most-commonly-available options. I did a similar thing with blades and have settled on just a couple of brands I like. I feel no need to scour the world and try every kind of blade available.

And my real goal is to save money. Cartridge and Can is very expensive. I am sure that DE shaving saves my upwards of $300 a year. That is significant smack. And that's why I like to tell other guys about this. It is a significant and real savings.

I think one would save even more money if they layed off the smack.:D

Interesting direction this talk has turned.

For me, I have to shave to keep my job. The only thing we are allowed is a mustache and it must be within certain guidelines. So utility comes first, luxury second, and economy trails at third.

The EJs were less than 100.00 shipped for both razors. Most of my blades are 100 packs or 50 packs. Soaps I get locally.....VDH luxury, Col Conk almond and CE Bigelow (proraso) at Bath and Body works. Matter of fact, I just picked up three tubes of shaving cream from them on their familiar buy 2 get one promotion.

My brush is a VDH badger that cost me about 10 dollars at Target, my other brush is a Tweezerman ten dollar model, and the various after shaves and witch hazels are all found locally.

I get amazingly close shaves. Takes me three or four passes but it's worth it. Even my barber (traditional barber shop that has been there since the fifties) commented on how close my shaves are. And the big bonus is my razor bumps/marks/acne is all but gone now.

I can't find a downside. I start at five am every morning and devote that hour to me and preparing for my day. Very relaxing and therapeutic way to start.

For me, shaving is also a utility thing. I don't want it to turn into an expensive hobby/collector thing. But, on the other hand, I like to have well made things. I figure the RazoRock soap I got is plenty luxurious at $6 for one and a $9 Artisan soap from the same brand.

The reason I am replacing my VDH Boar brush that came with the kit, is I simply don't really like it. After reading about attributes of high end brushes, I realized my brush has none of those. It clumps up very badly, and after 15 or so shaves with it, is shedding like a mother. It looses about 6-7 hairs per pass. I'm not sure if something is wrong with it, but I would say it has shed about 15% of what it started with. Very odd. So, that's why I picked up a $13 Omega Badger/Boar mixed brush. It has gotten fantastic reviews, with the only real downside being it is a touch on the small side. I'm okay with that as my VDH seems to be only a slightly bigger from the dimensions I read.

I am extremely happy with my sub $4 preshave Shave Secret. Actually, maybe a bit more blown away than just satisfied. It works like a dream, makes my face very smooth, rubs in nicely, has a very light but pleasant natural herbal smell, and works great for touching up the back of my neck between haircuts. On top of that, it makes the razor just gently glide over my face. It's just a superb pre shave and I would and have already highly recommended it to quite a few people.

The VDH Bowl and Soap will also be staying. I like the green and blue bowl, and it's just about the right size. I suppose it could have some sort of grippy stuff on the bottom, but that was solved with just a few pieces of foam tape that are nicely hidden. The VDH Soap (not sure if the VDH Luxury Soap is different that what came in the kit I got at WalMart) is very good also. It is lasting a very long time, and creates a lather that is just about right as far as thickness and foam. In fact, if I had facial hair I wanted to keep I would probably use this exclusively. It allows for a good lather but isn't wildly thick and foamy. It also smells pretty nice, but it's not gonna wow anybody. If you don't like the scent, don't worry, it doesn't last very long and isn't particularly strong.

I am pretty excited about my new razor. Of those previously mentioned 15 shaves, I have already thrown out 3 disposable Schick Quattro's at $2 and some change a piece. That's not cheap. In fact, I really would prefer to use them for only 4 shaves each instead of five due to how quickly they dull. I wish Schick and Gillette new what CPM S90V or M390 was haha. Plus, even though I hate the environment (only kidding, mostly, drive a V8 Camaro), I really don't like to have to throw out that much plastic. Sure, I could pony up and get one that has a handle you keep and buy only cartridges, but it's still something that can't be recycled.

I think this DE89BA11 Chrome Barley or whatever number it is should be a great razor. I wasn't really expecting to find such a heavily loved razor for $44. But, people seem to be able to agree on this one. Seems to me like it's the Spyderco Delica of the shaving world. Didn't realize how heavy it was at 77 grams but people say to let the weight of the razor do the work, so it should be a breeze with this one. I'll see if I can't post some pictures of my new goodies when it all comes in.

Hopefully, we can get more people to switch over (or back in some cases) to DE razors. It really seems like a lot of the guys on a knife forum would really be into it. Can't wait to try it out, as I have been growing a few days of stubble to test her out on. Thank you guys for all the advice. I had no idea this thread would get this big, honestly.

Last edited:
The VDH luxury is this soap

http://www.amazon.com/Van-Hagen-Lux...AMIG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1338333027&sr=8-2

What came with your kit was the deluxe. That soap is easily found at most stores. Luxury is a bit harder to find in brick and mortar stores. But it is worth the hunt.

The Bigelow cream at Bath and Body is great. I can get amazing lather with it and it is a very nice hot weather cream with the menthol.

Sounds like you are well on your way.

Here are a couple of shots of the lather Bigelow makes in less than two minutes.

Using my VDH boar and a pewter Revere bowl I found at an antique store for cheap.

SDC12172.jpg

SDC12169.jpg

SDC12167.jpg

Back