New to DE's Looking for Razor Suggestions+Noob Guide

omg - Georgetown Pottery the G5 scuttle. gettin' it! :D this just keeps getting better and better. you would think cold lather wouldn't be such a problem here but we usually have the fan going so it cools down rapidly in the single wall bowl. that said, wish I found this earlier after already buying other bowls but I guess can use those as storage dishes for the growing array of product. found some cool insulated cereal bowls even lol!

what do you guys do when you travel? coffee mug in the hotel sink right? razor blades in checked baggage only?

I have a travel bowl with a screw-on lid. Here you can see it on a recent trip:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/706417-Shave-of-the-day?p=10151597&#post10151597

I have a tall pharmacy bottle that perfectly fits my brush and a leather case for my razor.

shaving on a MOVING TRAIN! :eek: dayum!

that's a great thread I didn't know you could buy your own knots. just finding natural material handles is hard enough - happy that badger hair is even available what with all the peta and all that. saw a straight for sale with mammoth ivory handles now that's rare and priced way out there just like 1911 grips.

Sorry for the absence guys! It was over a week since I had shaved until last night. This one was my same EJ Chrome Barley razor and cheap Omega brush. I used a Personna Red blade and switched up my cream just a hair. Instead of my usual RazoRock Cocoa I used RazoRock Artisan line in Chianti Lavender. My shave wen't extremely well. I have finally worked up to doing my complete shave minus about a quarter sized section on top of my adams apple. I did my upper lip with my DE, and almost all of my neck with the small exception I mentioned earlier. The neck area has been the biggest struggle for me to learn. I am fairly thin and my neck skin is very well fitted to my neck making it difficult to move around to get it on some relatively flat ground to shave it.

This was also the shave with my best results to date. I am Schick Quattro smooth in one pass with the grain. I did have one small patch that had razor burn and it was purely skill based. It was just left of my adams apple in about a nickel sized area. I just got a bit too close with the blade. Nothing severe. My skin was absolutely feeling great after the shave. My Aqua Velva had no bite to it this time, just that good cooling sensation.

I can't believe how quickly I am picking this up. Granted, last nights shave was about 50mins, but I'll take what I can get. I prefer to do it while I am in no hurry and I really think it's paying off. Thanks to everyone who has given some insight into this very relaxing, very cool, and very masculine activity. My face is more often clean shaven than not these days.

Shave away!

Mantic59 on Youtube has some great shaving tips and there is one about shaving the Adams apple, I just can't remember the exact tip so you will have to looking it up:eek:

For traveling, I bring a stainless shaving bowl I bought on Amazon. It's light, small, and indestructible. The DB 1.5 just wouldn't work for traveling as it's heavy, huge, and breakable . :p

one pass? dang. I turned it up another notch on the vision and had great results today while the wife watched and heard the hairs being shaved off too :p but it took many passes and finishing with an overall wtg pass with an Astra blade that has 4 shaves on it. finally truly bbs. evidently I was going the wrong way across the grain on my chin! hope to duplicate this shave.

found longs / CVS with lilac vegetal. pretty old timey stuff, haven't used it yet staying with Lucky Tiger / Nivea balm combo. oh yeah, the 5" bowl rocks making lather quick like vs. those tiny ones! only thing is super slippery needs grip tape or something.

I did not have much luck checking antique shops looking for a Double Edge razor and did not have much cash to spend when switched back to a DE. I got a nice stainless one at a local beauty supply place for about $20. Would like to find one with a slightly longer handle, but I can't complain considering that blades are dirt cheap. I am currently using some Wilkinson Sword blades picked up at Wally's, $2 for ten blades.

google is your friend you can find all kinds of deals :)

shave #6 not as good, a lot of noise and pulling but not cutting action so I think this blade is done. the bulk pack Astras did not come with a blade bank so I'm saving them up for now.

I just use a empty drink can. I enlarged the opening enough to drop the blades into, and when I fill it I will just flip the tab over the opening so they can't fall out. the worst thing is that I actually have an old Gillette Bakelite blade bank, but I only use it to hold new blades

This is what it looked like before I cleaned it up a bit

DSC02315.jpg

But this is the way it would have been originally sold, with a two piece handle tech
bb0828c4.jpg

google is your friend you can find all kinds of deals :)

shave #6 not as good, a lot of noise and pulling but not cutting action so I think this blade is done. the bulk pack Astras did not come with a blade bank so I'm saving them up for now.

oh man, that's an awesome find I never seen that before! :thumbup:

new blade, new shave today. getting good at this now. trying to relather on my face, not so good. plenty in the bowl though now it's slipperery than a I better not say that.

my wife is wondering why all these burma shave items keep turning up. :p

latest score though I don't know if liquid inside authentic but smells damn good
Burma Shave.jpg

the bulk pack Astras did not come with a blade bank so I'm saving them up for now.

I splurged a whole dollar on one of these
http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Double-Edge-Blade-Bank_p_45.html

It's made of steel and so when it's full, you just put the whole thing into the recycle bin. At the recycle center, this chunk of highly-recyclable, high-grade steel will be pulled out by the magnets and sent off to new uses. I like that.

The first one took three years to fill.

Back