New TV Survival Show - Alone

you also have to think about who the show is for. History has an interesting demographic curve. considering the other shows they produce, I think they are looking to cash in on one aspect of the prepper craze, they want their viewing core to feel like they would do better, be tougher. Most of their shows are about the "truth" and making their viewership feel superior to the sheeple. I'm not saying anyone here falls into that, I sure don't. But its who they are selling to that counts.

Although watching some of those preppers lock down and live off their stockpiles would be really interesting too, but might kill a bunch of them.... kinda scared that doesn't worry me as much as I think it should..

All the last 4 did good.
Allen seams to have it figure out at least until it gets really cold.
However Sam will win, he is Nebraska tough. :thumbup:

Man, they are editing the footage to make it a toss up between Alan and Sam. Lol.

Agreed, I noticed that as well at the end of last week's episode. It was the first time that it felt forced and like all the other super-edited "reality" shows. These guys have been talking about how terrible this has been mentally for them, how much they miss their families, and in Sam's case, he's bawled his eyes out, and suddenly they both flip to "There's no quit in me! I'll never back down!"? What?

It was jarring, to say the least.

I thought it was interesting to see how hard the contestants worked to talk themselves out of staying. Quitting is easy. Anybody can quit. On a subconscious level, they were trying to justify their decisions, both to themselves and the viewers.

And building a cheap tarped A-frame right on the shoreline where the wind is always going to be strong???? Real lack of foresight.

It's easy for all of us to play arm chair quarterback. I thought the last four guys showed what it takes. And it's all upstairs. The physical side is tough no doubt. But it was the mental toughness that got those last four as far as they got. Alan wasn't going to quit. Sam was wise to tap. Alan had the mindset of "I'm not quiting period"! And what a great guy too. I hope they gave the last few guys some cash? Can't imagine them not giving them something?

I agree with the cash statement on the last four. Each of them won and proved they could do it if they had to. When things get tough, especially psychologically, knowing all you have to do is "quit" is very appealing, but in a real life situation, there is no quitting other than death. I do know one thing, I wouldn't choose Vancouver Island as my chosen survival location.

I'm looking forward to seeing them at shows now. :D I saw some naked & afraid folks at Blade, but honestly, I really didn't even want to meet them. That show format does little for me.

Just seeing Sam's shelter on the shoreline looked like a bad idea. he didn't rethink it......not once. Lucas moved 3 times and ended up with a Yurt. if I'm going to try something this serious with a $500K purse on the line. You bet your ass this arm chair quarter back is going to learn and build Several dozen shelters before even submitting a tape to the producers. 52 days is a long time to not have a decent shelter. But he has a big set on him for lasting that long, Props to Sam!

I would not be surprised that they were asked to stay within a certain radius of their drop off point. I also would have moved inland a bit to a more protected location had I been Sam.

My guess is that Sam wanted to be close to his most likely food source, the water.

I'm a Fly Fisherman...and staying near water sounds like a great idea. but when those winds start kicking up and being exposed poses a high risk of safety. My butt is going in a little bit more and re-thinking.

They were supposed to be separated by water or other impassable landscape. So they could choose any location. That wind would be taking a lot of heat out of you as well.

Good for them though. The last four did well, and Alan especially was keyed in to the place. He was ready to try for spring. Don't know if he was getting enough food for that but it shows what it really takes for something like this. You have to be ready to try and make the year.

Sam is just becoming an adult now so he did very well. He justified it a bit, yeah, but he was struggling. Not sleeping at night and not getting food are both bad signs. He couldn't have gone very long like that, probably starting to damage his body.

I have to say, I almost shed a tear when they told Alan he won and his wife showed up and whatnot.
I cant imagine how heavy his heart was when all that was happening... Truly an amazing thing to witness, let alone experience!

Yep good ending and hats off to Sam and Alan. 2 months living off the land took its toll. Alan looked weak and frail. Sam looked like a different person from the one that was dropped off

I have to say, I almost shed a tear when they told Alan he won and his wife showed up and whatnot.
I cant imagine how heavy his heart was when all that was happening... Truly an amazing thing to witness, let alone experience!

Hmmm, me too. Shows we can relate to the strong family feelings I guess. He handled the victory with grace, which I highly admire. No fist pumping. It also appears his spirituality played an important part in his dealing with adversity.

Guys I'm not saying I didn't see some serious mistakes made. I agree Sams shelter was crap. And you never set up a survival shelter right on the water. At least 25 yards give or take is what most experts recommend. I'm just giving all them props for that level of toughness. Kudos men.

The last guys were all beasts and it's just amazing that they were all able to last that long.

My wife picked Alan as the winner from the first episode; something about his way of thinking made her think he would last the best.
She was right. :)

Makes you really think how realistic the head-for-the-hills BOB/ INCH plan really is. After watching that show I would put the average lifespan of such a plan at 30 days. Yep some of those guys lasted a long time, but the average gets skewed by the opening moves. The first few days will really thin the herd, but even then they had a motivator, and an exit plan. If you really thought you were the last man standing, why keep going? Maybe its just me, but it proves that INCH planning is pointless. Its just not feasible to go that long alone. Yes the old frontiersmen and trappers would do long stretches solo, gold-panners and the like as well. But there was always the chance of human contact, and there was a task to be completed, and a place to come home to. Many didn't survive, either through illness, starvation, or simply giving up. I think you take the hope away, and its all over for most. Joe copped some bad luck, and he might have held out with the final 4, no telling really. They all did a fantastic job, but having seen what they had to do to get by, and just survive, not thrive, I think any solo long term wilderness plan is doomed from the start.
As far as cash for the last few guys, if they are able to leverage this experience and exposure, they should do alright. Speaking tours might not seem fun (probably less fun than starving in the cold on the BC coast) but can be profitable. besides that, books and endorsements are other ways. I think Lucas has the best chance at that, he seems pretty eloquent. Mitch will likely be able to use this for his training, and Sam seems like he would make a good interview. I've had to sit through plenty of BS motivational speeches with my old job, and I'd listen to these guys talk about what got them through the tough parts. Lots of companies pay to have little appearances by all kinds of folks, its the main income for most Olympians.

http://www.history.com/shows/alone/articles/full-gear-list-and-prohibited-items
the gear list is up, there is some insane things on it! Who wouldn't want to use a survival item slot for a travel sized toothpaste?

Last edited:
Back