Next GEC "surprise"?

IMO I don't think GEC would be able to keep the doors open if they were making knives exclusively for people that just want to cut something..... The fanboys are collectors and speculators who keep the interest high...... There are many knife makers that crap out decent cutters for 1/2 the price that GEC can make a knife for.........

I think GEC's bread and butter is making short runs of varied patterns and handles that keep the collector's libido humming and wallets open...... To wit, I have a few hundred knives incl a couple hundred GEC...... I don't use a GEC to cut anything...... Cutting chores are reserved for a Case, Maserin, Civvi, etc...... YMMV......
Screenshot_20210906-114256_Gallery.jpg
GEC's make great users if ya give'm a chance
😜👍

IMO I don't think GEC would be able to keep the doors open if they were making knives exclusively for people that just want to cut something..... The fanboys are collectors and speculators who keep the interest high...... There are many knife makers that crap out decent cutters for 1/2 the price that GEC can make a knife for.........

I think GEC's bread and butter is making short runs of varied patterns and handles that keep the collector's libido humming and wallets open...... To wit, I have a few hundred knives incl a couple hundred GEC...... I don't use a GEC to cut anything...... Cutting chores are reserved for a Case, Maserin, Civvi, etc...... YMMV......
I actually agree with this, with the exception that I do use my GECs to cut things. The model that has kept GEC in business the past 15 years is doing short runs. I think it keeps people interested. Take the recent 73 bullets, they have been sitting and I’ve heard a number of complaints about this. I’m actually glad to see a run that has been available for a while, and picked up a couple. but it has made me think how the brand might be different if this was the norm.

Additionally, from what I understand of what GEC’s factory set up is like, dedicating part of their manufacturing to nothing more than a couple of patterns may mean that the production for the normal runs would be reduced. I could then see complaints about them not producing enough of the limited runs.

I‘ll be the first to admit that my observations are probably wrong, and I know nothing about manufacturing.

I would not bet on that, seing pictures here... Of course most knives are as new, but who needs more than one knife as edc?

.. To wit, I have a few hundred knives incl a couple hundred GEC...... I don't use a GEC to cut anything...... Cutting chores are reserved for a Case, Maserin, Civvi, etc...... YMMV......

So strange to me to have hundreds of knives and not use them.

Why have thousands and thousands of dollars tied up in knives made to be used, and then not at least carry and use some.
I have about 9 or so (though I have owned more).

All users.

I don't shy away from using them

I will say, if I am going to do work that will damage them, I will use an Opinel.....

Last edited:
I think (for a while, at least) that’s what GEC was trying to do with the Bull Nose. They ran them in 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, and then this year. Those runs usually included some new/different/unique cover materials (some of them SFO’s) which were more likely to get snapped up quick, but they’ve also consistently reproduced them in covers like Orange Delrin, OD Linen Micarta, etc. year after year.

I could be wrong, of course, but I’d bet if they did 1,000 or 1,500 #71’s in the same cover every year — let’s say OD Linen Micarta, simply because I’ve never understood the appeal of the Orange Delrin, despite the fact that they’ve made more of those than any other cover (at least through 2018) and have obviously sold them all 😁 — that would satisfy demand and keep knives on dealers’ shelves.
I love Orange Delrin! Which can also be appreviated "OD." :) Orange makes it very easy to spot/find my knife if I accidentally drop it. Many of my carry/use knives are Orange for that reason.

However, I have mostly been carrying a 71 in Red Micarta as my EDC for a while now because someone here hooked me up with a used one, and I've never managed to get one in Orange Delrin. IMO, Red is easier to spot than OD. But someday I'd like to get a Bull Nose in Orange Delrin.

So, see, DSFDF!

A sowbelly would be nice but I'd much rather see GEC do a rail splitter pattern. Mr Howard made some beautiful ones in the past at Queen and it would be great to see them again.
Honestly what I'd love to see return is Brimstone bone scales, GEC's version of Amber Carved Stag Bone on any pattern.

So strange to me to have hundreds of knives and not use them.

Why have thousands and thousands of dollars tied up in knives made to be used, and then not at least carry and use some.
I have about 9 or so (though I have owned more).

All users.

I don't shy away from using them

I will say, if I am going to do work that will damage them, I will use an Opinel.....

There are folks that buy a new Corvette and whip it down the gravel roads and over the railroad tracks like they were driving the Wife's mini-van..... Then there are people that buy a Corvette and tuck it away in the garage and admire it.....

I happen to be akin to the latter person with my knife collection.... GEC, Schatt, etc get admired..... Cutting chores are relegated to others......

I'd no more walk into GEC to buy a knife to throw in my toolbox than I'd gut a deer in my Sunday suit.....

There are folks that buy a new Corvette and whip it down the gravel roads and over the railroad tracks like they were driving the Wife's mini-van..... Then there are people that buy a Corvette and tuck it away in the garage and admire it.....

I happen to be akin to the latter person with my knife collection.... GEC, Schatt, etc get admired..... Cutting chores are relegated to others......

I'd no more walk into GEC to buy a knife to throw in my toolbox than I'd gut a deer in my Sunday suit.....

I view GEC like an off road truck.

At their price point, they are more than a Case or a Buck.

Better finish, fit, but certainly not a pricy sports car..

More like a decent 4x4. I'm willing to get it dirty, play in the dirt. I'm not going to jump it, or chuck it into a deep bog, etc.

Opinel/Mora, Buck/ Old Timer are like the beater off road vehicle you put a big lift on and really off road hard where you might break it.

I've used GEC fishing, Camping (including winter snow camping), doing chores....castrating cows during cattle roundups.

I've used knives to castrate cows from disposable scalpel all the way up to full one off custom knives.

My main users for more than a decade were Busse knives all used for knife purposes.
DeNufA2.jpeg

RT9FJWh.jpeg

eEtqBZL.jpeg

u0zh6zu.jpeg

Last edited:
It's nice to have a few users and it's nice to have a few to admire, just a question of taste or balance.

For instance, I have two user 38 Farmer's Jacks and two that are objects of admiration, I like the balance :cool:

This is what's great about our hobby though, we each can enjoy them in our own way. My non-users are antiques. Although not as readily available as some brands if you want to pay the price most GEC's are obtainable. My over 100 year old Ulster half congress with still visible etch and full blades isn't that common anymore. So it doesn't get used, I enjoy it's old school craftsmanship and beauty. I view GEC as kind of a time machine, I get to use a knife built like those from 100 years ago 👍

I view GEC like an off road truck.

At their price point, they are more than a Case or a Buck.

Better finish, fit, but certainly not a pricy sports car..

More like a midrange 4x4. I'm willing to get it dirty, play in the dirt. I'm not going to jump it, or chuck it into a deep bog, etc.

Opinel/Mora, Buck/ Old Timer are like the beater off road vehicle you put a big lift on and really off road hard where you might break it.

I've used GEC fishing, Camping (including winter snow camping), doing chores....castrating cows during cattle roundups.

I've used knives to castrate cows from disposable scalpel all the way up to full one off custom knives.

Back