Next two on the bench...Twins!

I like it! I would make the end of the guard (where it almost meets in the middle of the handle) slimmer, so that its getting thinner and thinner until it flows from the top to bottom, so there is no flare right at the end. Also the pommel definitely remids me of a rattlesnake, I would just make it more of rectangle ish like a rattlesnakes tail. Here is a a link to a pic. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Rattlesnake_rattles.jpg It is more a rectangle ish thing. Hard to explain but just my 2 cents. Looks excellent either way:thumbup:

Thanks guys. Here is what I came up with after a couple hours of work on the guard. I think we have a winner. Still lots of finish work to be done but the basic shape/texture works now.
I also made a stainless nut. Still have to see where I go with that shape wise.

hunter_fighter20.jpg

hunter_fighter21.jpg

Thanks for your looking and for your help.

This one is clearly a challenging project. There's a lot going on with that handle, to be sure.

Regarding the nut that holds it all together, I think the angle of the tail end of the pommel is part of what makes this difficult. That angle would work well on a glue up pommel, but because you need to put a nut there it becomes really hard to get something in the hole that restores the flowing line you have outside the hole. So maybe the answer is not to try to restore the flowing line, but acknowledge it is intentionally different. On the Inquisitor you put a lanyard ring at the end. Maybe something like that would work again... or some other protrusion in the rear that looks intentional. Just thinking out loud here... I don't really have what feels like a good idea.

One other thing, you now have several textures in the metal work behind the blade, and there is a certain lack of cohesion manifesting itself. Maybe you can do something with the nut that ties in with the dimpled texture of the finger guard. Or maybe you could apply that texture to part or all of the pommel.

Again, no solid ideas here, just random thoughts.

Thanks Greg, I like random thoughts. Mines are random most of the time. ;)

I understand about the nut. I could make it so that it aligns and I could then try to blend it with the pommel. I also thought about a ring but since this is suppose to look like a rattler's tail, it might look like he is pooping. :eek: I know that this is not where his poop hole is but you get the idea. As far as textures, the final finish on the fittings will probably blend things together a bit better.

My other big dilemma is to sell it or keep it for my personal carry knife. When I carry a knife, it is one of the first ones I made and even though it works great, it ain't the prettiest. So when I tell people I make knives, it's not very good advertisement. :( But I do need more tools and supplies and I also like to know that someone is enjoying my knives so I might still sell it. Anyway...

Thanks again for your help.

I'm really new to this knifemaking thing, so much so that I can't even really say "knifemaking". But, here goes: First, beautiful work. Regarding the nut, I can't tell how deep it needs to go, but might you try a deep socketed allen head approach? That way, you could adjust the angle of the nut to match the pommel, but have a hole deep enough for good purchase for a wrench.

Thanks and believe me I appreciate all the input I get, no matter what your experience level is.
I don't really have that much depth to work with and I would not even know how to start cutting a slot for an Allen key. I did make a nut that fills the hole a bit better and is angled like you said. I still have to clean it up a little but I think visually it works much better.

hunter_fighter22.jpg

This is not meant as an insult, Patrice(you know i love ya, bro), but that looks like a rattlesnake's vagina.

Patrice, looks great! Just thinking a bit, I know it may be too late for this now, but maybe on a future project drill your pocket for the pommel bolt as you did, then remove the nut and pommel and cut the pommel end off just below the depth of the pocket so you have a blind pocket and a through hole for the bolt. Weld the bolt into the cutoff piece at the correct orientation and torque. Now the entire end of the pommel becomes the bolt. Drill a couple 1/16" or 3/32" holes for a wrench to remove the pommel.

-Xander

Thanks Xander. I did think about making the whole pommel the nut but I was afraid that I cold not pull off the alignment thing since the pommel is not symmetrical. I know that I still have to get the alignment right with the nut but if I mess up, it's much easier to make another nut then another pommel. If that makes sense.

Joking aside... I see a few possible options. Some may not be feasible for this particular project.

1. Like Xander said make the pommel the nut. To address your fear of misalignment, you can use spacers as your variable(need a quarter turn more, remove material from the spacer and vice-versa).
2. You could also countersink the nut into the pommel and plug it with an LPF(loose press fit) decoration. Like corking a bottle of wine.
3. Wrap it with electrical tape. Make sure you bite the last bit off for that authentic look and then slip a sock over it.... done.

Patrice,
If you kept that same nut in the end that you already have there, my idea would be to match the indentation that you already have coming down the front and going to the end of the tail. The semi circular trough that you already have gives you a line, if the slot on the nut matched up and the shape of the nut matched the slope of the tail, it would all kind of blend together. The only problem would be making a key for it, but if you made a turnkey that fit the trough and then maybe put a pin in one side or the other or both that could turn it to take down. I dont know if this made any sense at all, so sorry if this is confusing.

Jake

PS. I do really like the design of both of these, I think when you get them all finished they will look great! The wood that you used for the handle really brings your snake theme together, the color and design in the wood just reminds me of a desert rattler.

Thanks a lot for the spacer tip Rick. :thumbup: I never thought about that. It will be very useful even for symmetrical pommels where I had a hard time making sure that the thread of the pommel nut was aligned with the it needed to be like the spine for example.

The tape and sock idea I'll keep as a last resort if you don't mind. ;)

Jake, I was thinking something along the same lines. Thanks for the suggestions and the good words.

What's good about the spacers, is that if you are using handle material that is prone to shrinking (as it ages or changes climates), you can easily adjust it for a tight fit.

See Pat? I can be productive in threads, too.

See Pat? I can be productive in threads, too.

I am sorry if I ever said you were not productive Rick, I don't remember doing it but I am old and sometimes even have a hard time remembering if I have pants on. ;)
And I find even your shenanigans to be productive on some level. :thumbup:

This is not meant as an insult, Patrice(you know i love ya, bro), but that looks like a rattlesnake's vagina.

Maybe try it the other way and add another ring??? Instead of having the flathead part facing perpendicular to the rings, maybe make it paralell and just add another ring???

Thanks J but I think I'll leave it like that. Running out of steam a little on this one.
Plus it doesn't matter what I do, Rick will find it looks like something else entirely. ;)

I hear you about running out of steam, Patrice. Sometimes the best thing is to put something down for a while until you build up another head of steam.

Back