• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

No feedback good or bad wth ?

I’ve had 5 transactions on the exchange as a buyer only, no sales or trades. So far I’ve had only one feedback as positive and none negative. I’ve always left positive feedback for the seller and they tell me they will leave me a positive. So I’m wondering if I’m not doing something or if they forget. It’s really not a big deal but it’s kinda helps for future buying to have a good reputation. At least I don’t have any negatives to cause problems. Is this common?
I think a piece of it is that people think of feedback very differently. Heck, I treat it very differently depending on the venue. Here on BFC I try to remember to leave positive feedback on any deal that goes as expected because this is very much a community and it's a good manners thing.

On eBay, however, I'll likely only bother to leave good feedback if I feel the seller went above and beyond the expected service because I view it as a storefront. Getting the item I paid for in a relatively solid time frame is not just expected, it's their legal requirement, and I sometimes try to remember to give them good feedback, but I don't feel particularly obligated to or impolite if I don't. The money I gave them for the item is thanks enough for a pure business transaction.

I think many here that don't bother with feedback are, essentially, using my standards for eBay rather than for BFC and looking at it as a pure business transaction rather than something that happens in a larger community. I can't really hold it against them because I certainly don't offer feedback on every website or vendor that I shop with, but (if they happen to read this wall of text) I strongly encourage them to embrace the idea of a community here and step up their game a bit.

I thought you can only leave feedback for a person that actually posted in the sales/trade thread, not if they just did PMs
I thought you can only leave feedback for a person that actually posted in the sales/trade thread, not if they just did PMs
That is correct and the thread url is required which is probably what most people have problems with.

I have had about 2 or 3 transactions on BF and all good but my feedback does not represent that it sucks when your feedback is low but after it grows I don't think it would bother me as much.

This is correct, but I have never understood some peoples aversion to posting in the thread:confused:
I usually get buyers that PM only and lots of "nice knife" or trade offer type comments in the thread even though I request that those be done by PM.

I have had about 2 or 3 transactions on BF and all good but my feedback does not represent that it sucks when your feedback is low but after it grows I don't think it would bother me as much.
This is one area that I also think the community aspect of BFC is valuable. I see you contributing to discussions around the forum so regularly that I wouldn't hesitate to deal with you regardless of no/low feedback.

If someone fails to leave me feedback, even after a polite request to do so, I will not do a transaction with them again. When I am the seller it is very troubling that people refuse to leave feedback, especially after I have left feedback for them.

I wish this forum, eBay, and others had a system where one party can leave feedback but it doesn’t post unless the other party leaves feedback. Not posting feedback is incredibly rude and inconsiderate.

I can appreciate that for me some might recognize my name and proceed, with probably some understandable level of caution, and I would likely do the same for others plus I tend to CYA whenever possible not because I expect to be cheated but because it is just a smart thing to do and do regularly.

I wish this forum, eBay, and others had a system where one party can leave feedback but it doesn’t post unless the other party leaves feedback.
The issue would be that it wouldn't work when negative feedback is posted. Would we apply the rule to both positive and negative feedback? That could suppress negative feedback which wouldn't be good and if it wasn't applied to both would it be fair?

That piece is good but I would fear any scammer would happily ignore feedback and keep scamming with a neutral feedback score still. I like the general idea but I just don't want to see something that holds us back either.

That piece is good but I would fear any scammer would happily ignore feedback and keep scamming with a neutral feedback score still.
I'm not a scammer; but I happily ignore the feedback system due to its post requirement. I won't post in an ad just to be able to leave feedback; and I close my ads ASAP after getting a commitment to prevent the buyer from going back to post. If those things result in people not selling to me, that's okay... and I'm just as okay with people not buying from me. (Heck, my ads tell a good chunk of people not to even bother contacting me because I won't sell to them. I don't like selling; so I'm not driven by that anything to make a sale mentality.)

My aversion to posts in ads predates my involvement on this site by about a decade; but my early days here (when I tried the "community standard") did nothing to change my mind. If posting in ads was to become mandatory here, I would simply avoid using the exchange. (Yeah, I've participated in the CPK sales occasionally... so there's a small hole in my resolve; but rest assured there's an internal struggle every time)

I feel for the new guys that want to "build a reputation"; but, as has been mentioned, how hard it is to send a payment for something you want? Building a feedback score by purchasing a bunch of knives doesn't mean much more than one is willing to spend money.

Last edited:
I was going to edit this into my earlier post; but it was already long enough.

Since it's been a few years, my estimate could be way off; but I feel like it was between 30-40% of transactions for which I'd receive a rating... and, in retrospect, most of that was from the "community". The here to sell crowd didn't bother.
As a seller, I've stopped following up with buyers - seems like the ones that didn't bother to acknowledge receipt and satisfaction didn't respond to my inquiries, either. As a buyer, I try to at least acknowledge receipt; though I don't doubt that I've dropped the ball occasionally.

I was looking forward to getting my first feedback rating after purchasing my first knife off the exchange but nope. Hell, it only takes a few seconds.

WValtakis WValtakis (and whoever else wants to know)
In anticipation of this being a fairly long post, I'll start off with this:
tl;dr - old habit and personal preference.

I'll be honest - some of the issues that drove me away from posting in ads, or having people post in mine, date back 15-20 yrs. Since I've left that hobby/business behind, I've not had reason to focus on some of the things that affected my choice...and, frankly, I've pretty much forgotten the details. Some of the factors included people contacting me trying to get me to sell them what I had just purchased (often before I had even received it), and people berating me for buying from - and eventually selling to - somebody they had issues with (not he scammed me kind of issues). I began purchasing exclusively by PM or email, and was much happier. When I got to the point where I was selling, things flared up again. Sometimes it was griping because of who'd purchased; but I also got messages offering to purchase for more money because they didn't want the buyer to get my stock, which I didn't want to deal with. One day I got smart, and started locking my ads; and the aggravations associated with selling were significantly reduced.
When I came to this site, I didn't participate on the Exchange right away - I watched how things were done. I was fairly set in my ways; but noticed that most buying and selling was done via posts. My first purchase was hassle free; but my next few brought back old memories - another member posted a claim a few minutes after me, and started emailing me wanting to give up my claim and have the buyer sell to him. When I didn't, he started offering to buy the knife from me (oddly, he started below what I had just paid). The next purchase seemed okay at first, then I got an email from somebody that saw that I'd gotten it & was interested in purchasing. I eventually blocked his email address because he didn't give up. Now, maybe those were isolated incidents; but, given my prior experiences, it was enough to send me back to PMs and emails for purchases. I'm to the point now where if I have to post - say, to let a seller know his inbox is full - I won't purchase.
As far as selling, I would love to go back to just locking my ads from the start...but that's pretty much a death sentence for the ad, on this site. I don't remember if I started out requesting that people PM or email me; but, if I didn't, that came pretty quickly. The thing is, everybody ignored those requests, and just posted in the ad...so, eventually I got to the point of choosing not to sell to people if they posted. I put that right in my ad, and most people are pretty good about contacting me; but every once in a while, somebody posts in the ad to claim. I'll be honest - where it goes from there depends on their reaction. If the person becomes indignant, or otherwise gives me attitude, I'm happy to stand firm by my posted "rule". I've chosen to sell to some people, though, because they handled the matter maturely.
Another reason that I don't like posts in my ads is that, occasionally, I'll decide that I want to sell to somebody that isn't the first respondent - maybe it's choosing to sell to a paid member over a registered member, maybe it's a repeat customer, maybe it's just somebody that has been trying to find a particular knife for a while - my item, my choice...but then the other person gets pissed off (or better, has a tantrum) because they said they'd take it. Those things don't happen all that often; but it doesn't turn into an issue when things are kept out of the ad.
I've had very few sellers stand firm on their stated requirement that a buyer post in the ad; but I have no issue respecting the choice of those that do. My question is, why is THAT okay with people; but it's not okay for me to stand firm on my stated requirement about not posting in my ad?
It's a rhetorical question, I don't really care about the answers, lol.
As long as I'm here, and typing, I don't particularly like not selling to somebody because they posted in my ad; but I accept it. If I disregard my own statement on the matter, why should anybody else do otherwise? On the other hand, I admit that I rather enjoy the last item in my Terms: If you are one of those sellers that insists on Friends/Family for payment, or lists separate prices for F/F vs Goods, please don't bother to contact me. I don't buy from you, I'm not going to sell to you, either

Last edited:
hhmoore hhmoore I actually read your post and I have no problem with your method other than personally as a low feedback person I would want to post in a sale thread for the purpose of being able to generate feedback. You sound from your post reasonable that were I to do such it wouldn't likely be a problem in the end. My question more so is while you mostly neglect feedback in the scenario where I were to try and purchase and you said sure its your would you leave me the feedback, presumably after I sent a message politely asking for feedback, or would you ignore/refuse to leave a buyer feedback irregardless? I don't want this to come off as some attempt to make you seem like a bad person to deal with just want to fully understand your stance.

Back