'No Frills' $75.00 home studio tent/lightbox

I went back in and deleted that layer and created a new one.

What did I learn? To delete it and start over while I'm there :thumbup:

Now I've got to figure out how to put a border around it so I can put the knife description and my name on it.

To add a border try this.
Open the image, click the F key on your keyboard, that will give you a gray frame around your image.
Click on the Crop tool, and drag corner to corner in your image.
Grab the little side handles on the crop frame and move them out passed the edge of the picture.
Hit Return on your keyboard and now you have a white border around your picture.
Open a new Type layer above and add your name and other info.

The main lesson to learn is, "There's never time to do things right, but always time to do things over" ;)

The main lesson to learn is, "There's never time to do things right, but always time to do things over" ;)

LOL !

I tried what you said PhilL but I can't get it to work. I tried the drop shadow frame but there is no black border around the outside edge so it gets lost on a white page. I like the look of the drop shadow, but it has to have a black line border

TB.jpg

We need a dedicated Photoshop thread for this and more.

There are many ways to accomplish the above. I go to Image/Canvas size... and enter in the numbers. Done.

Coop

We need a dedicated Photoshop thread for this and more.

There are many ways to accomplish the above. I go to Image/Canvas size... and enter in the numbers. Done.

Coop

I agree we do need a Photoshop thread. I had always planned to do one after the Image Editing tutorial I did, I just never got to it. If you start the thread I'll add my 2¢.

Coop, there's lots of ways to do everything in PS, that's what confuses so many people about PS. You always use a border on your pics I'm surprised you haven't just made it into an Action.

You're welcome 4ever3.

The hardest thing you'll ever do in PS is click something or drag something, there's no heavy lifting. You just have to learn what to click and what to drag.

I think if Coop does start that PS thread we'll all learn a thing or two. ;)

I agree we do need a Photoshop thread. I had always planned to do one after the Image Editing tutorial I did, I just never got to it. If you start the thread I'll add my 2¢.

Coop, there's lots of ways to do everything in PS, that's what confuses so many people about PS. You always use a border on your pics I'm surprised you haven't just made it into an Action.
I simplified the method above. Of course I use an Action. :thumbup:

I have created some of the most complex actions that automate my photos throughout; from editing, to borders, to filing.

Sigh. Let's leave this thread back to No Frills lighting setups and start The Photoshop Learning Thread. :D

Coop

Sigh. Let's leave this thread back to No Frills lighting setups and start The Photoshop Learning Thread. :D

Coop

Sorry for the side track. In light of the above quote, I will quote my original post. Sigh.

Thank you for all of the lessons Coop!

I still have lots of work to do to learn Photoshop but heres the second one I have done.

saddlehornmaster.jpg

Thanks again !

Last edited:
Its been a while since I posted my own setup. I took the advice from someone on this thread (or from my similar threads on other forums) and changed the support sytem for my PVC frame. Look at the string holding it up:

orig.jpg

I used simple J-hooks and screwed two plastic cleats to loop and tie into. I was going to use pulleys, etc, but the light weight of this frame and it's only-occasional adjustment didn't require that. K.I.S.S.

This helps in two ways:

Some larger projects require the tent to be elevated, and others allow it to be closer. Now I have an easy system to change this.

My work area is completely uncluttered from supporting frames and is easier for me to work in.

You can see a few corks I use to elevate the knives for my insets. I have built my own mirrors all over the place to fill in. That one in the front hinges and I change the angle with that little supporting clamp.

There is a hard-to-see clamp attached to a piece of weighted PVC tubing on the table. I hold the knives upright with this, when I need that view.

I have been using two strobes for a long time. I have been utilizing a softbox for blade lighting on one of them lately and it allows me to diffuse this area of my frame moreso than the other. 'Selective lighting'. Especially valuable on longer blades.

Not exactly long, but a current statement of my photographic work:

orig.jpg

Coop

Jim,
Thanks for the update on your setup. A couple of questions:
How does the PVC clamp work? Is it weighted with sand or something in the pipe? Is that a squeeze clamp? How is it attached? Screwed, glued, taped, or just jammed into the pipe?
How well does the Softbox work by itself without shooting through the diffuser? Not diffuse or large enough?

And the knife photo is Awesome as ususal. And, that is one cool knife as well.

Hi Docta (Name?),

When I worked as a Bike/Ducati/Kawasaki mechanic, my fellow techs always made fun of me because I would consistently make up these home-grown tools to help a job along.

orig.jpg

I use this tool all the time, and in a few ways. The clamp is jammed inside the PVC and the PVC is jammed inside the elbow. I have the long tube filled with weight (stones). The PVC clamp tube is slipped inside the elbow and it has just enough stiction to rotate and stay put in any orientation.

Those are pieces of chamois taped around the flattened ends of the clamp.

No, I have not used the softbox without the tent. Yet. Hmmmm.....

Coop

Coop, Doc's thought about the softbox was exactly what I was wondering.
Way back when I was a working photographer, over 90% of what I photographed, from full length fashion to still lifes, were lit by a homemade 3' X 3' softbox.

Here's the softbox being used for a Fashion shot.

321327919.jpg

and here it's being used for a still life.

12988118.jpg

You can see the shape of the softbox in the rounded cap of the rear perfume bottle.

Coop,
I love creative solutions like your pvc clamp. I was wondering how you held the knives for upright shots. Thanks for sharing.
I think the SoftBox would probably do a good job lighting if brought closer to the knives to soften the light, and to enlarge the reflective surface. Your current method is obviously doing a great job, I was just wondering how it would work for others that haven't created your setup, or to simplify for location shots. I would think a Larger softbox such as a Larson or Pflume would work. I've seen some great soft portraiture done with 4x6 Larson softboxes. They are known for having fabrics that produce true whites and resistance to yellowing (but are expensive).
Dean

when I do the type of shot Coop is doing with his clamp, I simply stab into a chunk of styrofoam that came as packing for some product I purchased. I then use an old boxed W/A lens I have kicking around as weight but anything would do to counterbalance the weight of the handle. I can use any angle I need also.

When using a softbox for portraiture, the photographer does not aim the softbox at the subject but rather feathers the light so that the edge of the light is being used to illuminate the face.

I use daylight flourescent lighting and also use a diffuser over the front of the light and then use the box as a second diffusion.

Coop has a great system which he has adapted for the use with large knives/swords but most collectors and makers likely won't need the same amount of flexibility.

This has been a great thread over the past few years and we all are learning more things with each post.

Back