'No Frills' $75.00 home studio tent/lightbox

Hi Coop,
Just wanted to thank you for this thread. I built a setup like you showed in post #363, and I like it a lot. Mine has the support for the lights integral with the rest of the frame, but I think I'll switch to separate frames sometime.

Here's mine:

lb2.jpg

lb3.jpg

Please excuse all the clutter. :eek:

I was asking about the materials used to lay the knives on for the various photos.

Milt

Just built a studio based off the latest design here.

With zero experience taking pictures I went from this:
276.jpg

To building this:
IMG_0867.jpg

IMG_0868.jpg

To this:
Knife1-2.jpg

Still have a lot of practice to do, but MAN that light panel makes a difference.

Thanks!

Just found this thread....here is my first attempt at this......

cqc7resized.jpg

clipskullresized.jpg

Last edited:
Hi guys,

Wow, I haven't seen a few of these later threads, and the setups are really great.

Phillip, noshtero, and cevtv: I would bring the lights down on all three setups about a foot. The light source is coming in too high to show the grinds as well as you can.

And then again, you may like it just like it is. It's yours to tune. :)

Coop

Nicely done. Great detail. Notice how tilting the knife has the same effect as lowering the lights. You can see how much more effective showing the blade grind is on the Emerson, in comparison to your first shot.

Now: get some color in there.....! :thumbup: :eek:

Coop

Hi guys,

Wow, I haven't seen a few of these later threads, and the setups are really great.

Phillip, noshtero, and cevtv: I would bring the lights down on all three setups about a foot. The light source is coming in too high to show the grinds as well as you can.

And then again, you may like it just like it is. It's yours to tune. :)

Coop

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try that. This system is so nice and easily altered. :thumbup:
BTW, I just saw one of the pictures you took for me in BLADE magazine. It looked pretty good. :thumbup::cool:

Nicely done. Great detail. Notice how tilting the knife has the same effect as lowering the lights. You can see how much more effective showing the blade grind is on the Emerson, in comparison to your first shot.

Now: get some color in there.....! :thumbup: :eek:

Coop

Thanks for the encouragement! Gotta find some better backgrounds next.... ;)

Great thread Coop, I just stumbled on it what great info!

I made a cheap little poor-mans' foil-lined box with 4 clip-on 100w Daylight CFL's
(23w consumption each) The foil sides make weird patterns on the blades.
I am mostly interested in capturing the beauty of the handle woods and sheaths.
White terrycloth comes out a little cool (blue) but knife/sheath colors are right.

Top 2 pics no flash, bottom 2 with flash. Elbows are my tripod, reduced .jpg's

-Ron

dfd0.jpg

bl0.jpg

mw3.jpg

ddh0.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you for all of the lessons Coop!

I still have lots of work to do to learn Photoshop but heres the second one I have done.

saddlehornmaster.jpg

Thanks again !

Last edited:
You guys are having fun. I'm pleased to see the good results! :thumbup:

440hard: You like a low angle of perspective. That's cool. Modify your back wall to a white surface and see if you can reflect the blades off of that.

(It's like playing pool. You are banking off the blade's reflective surface to something clean.)

Coop

4ever3, overall I think you did a nice job on your montage, but I do have one question?

368158888.jpg

Thanks PhilL !

Well, to answer your question, I'm not real sure. It is only the second one I have done, so I'm sure it's something I did wrong. Almost has to be something I did while on inverse seeing as how the other two images don't have it.

It looks like the corner of the bottom right image.
Can I ask how you did your montage?
What was the Layer order?
How did you remove the unwanted background areas?

Yes Sir, I believe it is the corner of the drop shadow of the single blade.
I'm not sure how to answer other than cut and paste and alot, I mean alot of "undo" :D
Layer order? I started in the bottom right and worked my way to the top left.
Lasso tool.

Ahhhh, it's the drop shadow that we're seeing. The bottom right corner image must be on top of the middle image in the layer order. You left some of the edge of the photo on the single blade pic, and then when you did the drop shadow that remnant left that shadow line.

Like I said nice job overall, but that line would drive me crazy. I'd have to get rid of it.

Back