'No Frills' $75.00 home studio tent/lightbox

Hey guys, I've been playing around again in photoshop & with my camera. This is a knife I made for my wife & she has been carrying it in her purse for probably six years. I've been trying to take everyone's advise and trying to remember everything. The forums are great, being able to go back & re-read things. Since my monitor is dark and I usually have stuff too bright, I darked this image up before putting it in photobucket. We'll see how it works, Dwayne

105group.jpg

you are getting too slick too fast. looks like you are having fun. image looks good. only layer I find a bit strange is the partially open one.

Exactly put Murray. Nicely done. Dwayne, you are going to be dangerous!

Coop

Thanks guys, Yall are teaching me what I know. Murray I did what you said as far as saving it to 800x600 after flatening it & then uploaded to photobucket. I guess they won't let it get as big as what yall are doing. I would like them to be large like yalls so you can see the detail. One thought, with the email server I have we have 250 megs of space, 7 different email account possibilities. A friend told me that I could use this as website space, is it possible to put my photos in there and them upload them without them being shrunk? Be like my own photobucket ? I do appreciate you two for the advice! Hope to meet the both of you one day! Later, Dwayne

Coop & Murray, P.S. I emailed the photo to a few friends to show them what I was doing and in the email the photo takes up the whole screen, so I know I saved it right, it's just something with photobucket, I hate to pay another $23. a year for fototime if I can do the same thing with the wasted space in my email. The friend that is building me the new computer is a police officer and he does all of the Police Dept's computer work and several other city & county businesses as well, that being said, he's pretty sharp on most stuff and if you can explain to me what I need to do, if you can, I'll tell him and he can get me hooked up. Talk to yall later, Dwayne

Pay for the priviledge and ease of uploading and linking to a photo site. The ease of posting is well worth the extra $24 per year. I have a website and can host from there, but it isn't as easy and isn't set up to do this. I use Fototime, but you can find others. PhotoBucket may have a paid member benefit that allows original-size images.

Or pay for Knifemaker membership and use Bladeforums image uploading and support the site.

Coop

Coop, I was just playing to see if I could post out of my email like I was asking, and it worked. I know! I'm cheap :eek:

Well, it did work for a minute or so :confused: Anyway I'm going to get a subscription to fototime or photobucket, can't make up my mind which is the best, photo bucket offers 5GB of space for about the same money as fototime offers 1GB for, any advice? Yall know I trust you :rolleyes: Here's another pic I've been playing with. Later, Dwayne

standard.jpg

one thing I see not mentioned is, what and where do you plan to use your pictures in?
these information busy works are great for books and printing
and for the web if your perspective customer has DSL or something fast..but for dial-up the slow loaders will cause some lookers to move on.. just food for thought.. good looking stuff here though..:)

I think when I started my web site (I think in 1998) that was one of my big concerns and it was and got engrained in to me, it had to load fast or you'd lose your possible web customer.. I had that, you can't teach an old dog new tricks thing going on, maybe still do to a point :eek: .
of course we have less dial accounts up now but some of us are still out here :) not that I wouldn't jump on it but it's not offered here:( food for thought

Good point, Dan. Two of Dwaynes images are 1/2 a megabyte. (500,000kb). These size images do not need to exceed 150kb, if you use 'Save for Web' at 60% compression. You CANNOT tell the visual difference saving at higher, but it sure adds weight (filesize) to the image. And, 60% is max. You can get good quality at 50% if you have an image of those proportions.

Matt,

That is good and clear. You are off and running.

The lighting is almost directly overhead, though. There is no sense of the curve of the handle and subsequently the blade is too bright. Lowering the lights down in the back of the tent would solve both problems. Great start. Try again?

Coop

Well, I took the first couple steps. I put together the PVC frame. It's 3' wide, and the overhang is based on 2' straight up and then 1' at 45 degrees. I think I'm going to reverse those to put the light further behind.

Now I need to carve the posterboard...

What do you recommend the proportions of the box to be? The sides seem to be equilateral triangles with a few inches more at the base and at the front, correct?

Coop & Dan, Thanks for the advice and thought on the size, I'll cut them down in size. I've been doing a lot of playing. I understand about the loading time, I guess I don't think about it as much since everyone around here is on DSL and everything loads really quick. This thread is a great deal of help. Later, Dwayne

Joss said:
What do you recommend the proportions of the box to be? The sides seem to be equilateral triangles with a few inches more at the base and at the front, correct?

Do not make box. Have rather 4 separate screens.

Actually one big white foam screen is enough - as a top (put it 45 degree to the table) which will be reflected in the blade and also reflect soft filling light from the lamp to the knifeis (point one powerfull light on it). And it will allow flexibility to put other spot lights around knife as you wish to highlight side of the handle etc.

Box just limit you ability.

Thanks, Vassili.

LongRifle said:
How does this one look to you guys?

attachment.php

Perfect! From the technical point of view it is as good as possible. I suggest you to play with gradients - make ight not so even not so soft.

Thanks, Vassili.

Back