Not a flame, but Why is a Sebi better than my Mil?

TO me the sebenza is the best folder I have ever handled. I have a most of the spyderco lineup, some benchmades, rekats, cold steel, kershaw, crkt, edi, and buck. I was a spydie nut for a long time. They seemed to be more thought out better designs, and I never had a problem with one(except my endura, which they promptly replaced). Anyway, I finally bought a sebenza, it was a used classic 2000. I loved it, it has so many little touches that no other production knife does. The finish and fit were absolutely flawless, and if I should ever beat it up severly, I can send it back and they will make it new again. I immediately decided I needed a small wood inlay, when I got it I was even more impressed. It is by far the most beautiful folder I own, it impresses the hell out of people who look at it, but more than that, it impresses the people who use it. Everyone I ever loaned a spyderco too was impressed, but always seemed to think of the knife as scary. If I hand my wood inlay Sebenza to somebody, they want one, and are not at all threatend that I have it on me. IT is more than a tool it is art. First and formost it is a very well thought out and designed precision instrument, but it is also very beautiful. I have handled many custom folders, and would not trust many makers to make one any better then a seb. My need to buy more knives has seemingly stopped since I got my small woody. No other knife has every been able to do that to me. It is the best I have handled in my life, so to me it is worth every penny.
p.s. it will also outcut any folding knife I have. The lock up is so tight it feels like a fixed blade, which is more than I can say for any linerlock,lockback,rollinglock, or axislock model I own.
Kyle

I just hope no one saw any of my comments as insulting or hateful towards CRK or the Sebenza. I am a potential customer, but so many praise the knife, it can be hard to believe it is 'that' good
rolleyes.gif
! Still one voice against sooooo many! I will think on this with great care and deliberation. I think I have made my points well enough.

Thanks all of you for listening and making me think and ponder what I will do next.

W.A.

------------------
"To strive to seek to find and not to yield"
Tenneson
Ranger motto

General

It's all in the strength of the lock up. The open Sebenza is like the feel and strength of a fixed blade.
Stoutest folders in my hoard.
biggrin.gif

General, why do people buy Mercedes, BMW and Jaguar?

Same thing.

------------------
RICK - Left Handers Unite

Hello,

I own a Military plain edge, a BM710HS and a big and small plain Sebenza.

I love my Military for its brilliant design and confortable handle and I love my small Sebenza for its brilliant design and it's usefull size...

These days I am using and discoverinf a compromise: the Gunting ! Smooth like my Sebenzas, excellent lock and confortable handle like the Military. ;-)

Now I think between the Military, the 710 and the Sebenza you got a bunch of excellent knives and again the main difference between them will be the way the will be used.

Again, the excellence of the user is more important than the excellence of the tool.

You will be surprised to see how some people are efficient with ab Opinel when so many of us are clumsy with a Sebenza.
Or another example are the Montagnard in Viet Nam who are using small self made blades in low carbon steel and are able to work like no one of us with their tools...

Between a BM a Spyderco and a Sebenza it's really a matter of personnal taste as each of these knives are no swindle at all.

I remember Sal Glesser saying that if Spyderco was making a knife designed like a Sebenza their price will be almost the same as CRK's...

Don't forget we are "confronted" to three companies who want to give us the best for our money. So just pick the good/best knife for you, enjoy it, change for another one... open your mind to other designs and be creative !
Don't be so childish
"If I could explain it to you, you won't understand" means that one is to stupid to form sentences and to exprim ideas... or to lazy to communicate them...

General, if you want, contact me on my email and I will send one of my Sebenza for you to try it. And you will have your own opinion made.
Because different opinions are precious for everybody in these forums.

cheers,

JM

General, the Sebenza rules. As the other Sebenza users stated, if you have to ask why, you might as well stick to your Spydercos. Long live CR Knives

Many thanks Nemo. Check your inbox!

I have been constantly amazed by the generosity of formites on this group. Nemo I have long admired and enjoyed your work and Fred`s. I am stunned, speachless,...
eek.gif
!!! You don`t even know me. If you don`t mind me saying this, I would probably never loan my Sebenza to anyone, unless he was a close friend who I know would not abuse or steal my knife. Why would you do this for me? I am very grateful but you must be a better man than me. I mean that.

W.A.

------------------
Tenneson
Ranger motto

If you are ever in Golden, CO go to the Spyderco Factory Outlet. One of the only places that you can find almost any Spydie you want. Next to this is a showcase with, guess what?
Yup, Sebenzas galore. My first oppotunity to handle a Sebenza was at Spyderco. I think that speaks volumes.
I'm just glad I got out of there with my credit rating intact.
biggrin.gif

My dearest General; I am not quite sure of your question. A Sebenza is a type of knife, while a MIL is a series of soviet helicopters, most of which were known mostly for their penchant for falling from the sky, usually without the aid of a shoulder mounted SAM.

That you should think of us Seb owners as a better class of people is laudable. Further, we seldom resort to insults, as they rarely have a salubrious effect on the sort of people who favor, ahem, a lesser quality of trade goods. I am perplexed at your reference to slander, however, as it would be impossible for any of us to slander you unless we should pick up the 'telly' as I believe you Brits term it and call you up to upbrade you.

Slander, you see, is the spoken word, libel is the written word. English law and all that, you know.

As for why you should (if allowed to; one must set SOME limits, after all) purchase a Seb, let me give you five reasons:
View

The pocket watch is my grandfather's 1881 Elgin; would that have been made in the reign of the good Queen Vicky? You probably recognize the small gold coin; it is from the Isle of Mann; the larger one is a Krugerrand.

With tongue firmly planted in cheek, I remain, yr. obt. svt.

Walter Welch MD, Sebenzanista

My dear General; two things occur to me; I forgot to ask your regiment. I understand that that is a factor of considerable importance for those in the UK Military. Please forgive me. Consider yourself asked.

Secondly, the above picture really doesn't do justice to the more subtle (than previous years) decoration of the 2000 Gold Coin Sebenza; please allow me to rectify this error:
View

Awaiting your reply with interest, I remain
yr. obt. svt. Walter Welch MD, Sebenzanista

Actually, considering you Brits' penchant for including titles, I suppose I should more properly and fully sign myself, tongue in cheek as before,

Walter L. Welch, B.S., M.D., Diplomate, American Board of Emergency Medicine (ret)

General,

you got email !

Also I noticed Walt Welch doesn't know John Boorman's movie...

cheers,

JM

John Boorman's 'General' was Irish. Do you think an Irishman would say he was from the UK? Besides, the General doesn't have an Irish accent. Further, he hasn't mentioned Guinness once. I rest my case.
wink.gif
Do you not think someone from the Emerald Isle would mention the 'Emerald Forest?'

Besides, the important thing is what did you think of MY pictures, not John Boorman's?

Walt

General:

Does Sydie make anything like this?

View

[This message has been edited by Scott Dog (edited 11-11-2000).]

First things first.

I am not in the Military, I am into the Military. Nemo is spot on as to where the 'handle' comes from. There are a few other reasons why I took that 'handle' as well. But that is personal. As to titles, I will soon be Wayne Adamson BA MA PHD. Well BA soon anyhow. The others depending on employment and other possibilities. So lets not get into letter games. Having a qualification in Law I am well aware of the difference between slander and liable. I was being relaxed and not precise. For that I apologise. Yes the Mil is a Russian helo that has problems. It is also accepted as a short form for the Spyderco Military knife. I think a Sebenza would be for nicer than a Mil helo (short for helicopter) And Walt, you may rise when you wish my good sir!
tongue.gif

As to questions about nationality I am Welsh not English. So my English gentility Scott Dog is not an issue! In fact that is an insult!
rolleyes.gif
But I will let that go. As to your knife yes it is beautiful! I love its appearance, just like Jenny Connelly but would I cut a box open with her? Nooooo!
biggrin.gif

Oh yes no one calls T.V. the 'telly' around here, neither do we have butlers or say that things are a 'jolly good show', London is not the only interesting place in the UK and England is only part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain. Oh and the area of Wales I come from does not consist of stupid farmers, lots of sheep or hedges and cottages. Well not too many!
wink.gif
. On the issue of firearms and knife laws, yes I disagree with them over here, but how many teen shootings or gun related deaths do we have? Still I am sure that is a perception of America that tells only half the story! Yes?

Nemo`s point about the lack of ability to explain why something is better is spot on. If you cannot explain it, then you ought to at least try. It does make some look stupid
tongue.gif

Thanks again Nemo, you are the true gentleman.

As ever light hearted and with respect

W.A.

------------------
Tenneson
Ranger motto

Oh, yes... I do drink guinness extra cold as my tiple of choice. I have Irish relatives and Wales has the coolest flag in the world. Who else can claim a red dragon as its national icon? Hmmmm was it not Smaug who was red is aspect? He can be our mascot!

W.A.

A blood red dragon on a field of green it is at that! I happen to be Welsh as well. So I can forgive your 'relaxation' and confusing slander and libel, but you are 'liable' to mispell the latter!!

One thing I find hard to understand your admission of is Irish relatives.
wink.gif
(see: Mel Brooks' 'Blazing Saddles.')

Try and not take your 'American Cousins' so seriously.
wink.gif
tongue.gif

Walt

Well yes, it is 04:17 here, yawn!

Well met, my Welsh friend! Cool Cymru!

tongue.gif

W.A.

[This message has been edited by The General (edited 11-11-2000).]

Being poor is no disgrace. Most of us have been. It is mighty unhandy.

The GEN. is not worth mentioning. Subject people seldom are. Who cares about slaves that choose their fate?

I decided to get a Sebenza because Walt, Jackal and others speak so highly of them.

I had to find out what is going on here.
$250. for a large is not beyond the realm of research.

Quality is forever. You can`t pay too much for it.

Wilson, and others, will build you a .45 that will shoot a 1" group at 25 yds. A 1" group at 50 costs extra.

Can I shoot well enough for this to matter? No, but I wanted it.

I can get a Mil. sales BM auto for $100. AF or Army.

I like the MT`s L-UDT and their SOCOM D/A.

I have some MT OTF`s for fun.

That is what I still plan to pack on my rt. vest strap, because I may be wounded and unable to do more than push a button. A TPH is on the left strap.

None the less, the Sebenza intrigues me. I must have two.

[This message has been edited by FNG (edited 02-16-2001).]

You should own both and decide for yourself after using. Keep in mind, if you read below, that there is about a factor of 3 price difference...so you SHOULD expect more from Reeve... no free lunch:

The Military has a couple of (debatable) design improvement opportunities in my eyes:
=============================================
1. Handle is very long compared to blade length ... the blade/handle ratio is smaller than it needs to be, and that makes it inefficient. Part of this is because of wasted space in where the pivot hole is drilled in blade and it's position rearward in handle, and part is from wasted space where index finger choke-up rest is located.
2. The handle length is just past that length that is comfortable for me to carry in my front/right jeans pocket, that is, when I sit down, and I'm 5'-11".
3. The distal taper and flat grind are fine... except that the Military's tip is ground too thin for my personal tastes in a "hard use" knife, which is what the design goal was.
4. CPM440V is a very good steel, but must be kept at Rc56-57 to avoid brittleness. It is an excellent slicer. You shouldn't chop with this (or any other folder, just foolish unless survival situation).

Military good points:
=====================
1. very light and thin for it's size.
2. fine point good for delicate tasks (although it is long for same tasks)
3. great slicer
4. good lockup, radiused tang is a true innovation

Sebenza strengths:
==================
1. fit, finish, radiused edges (spine!)
2. LOCKUP is outstanding, super strong for a folder, perhaps none stronger in practical terms.
3. BG-42 at Rc60 is an extremely well balanced steel...hard, holds edge, not brittle, stainless, has enough vanadium to be a very good edge holder.
4. Blade grind is exceptionally useful, utilitarian.
5. convex edge on hollow grind is a nifty combo.

Sebenza has no real weaknesses. My only comment is that it is fairly industrial in design, kind of cold in that the handle is slabs of titanium. But I understand what Reeve's goals for this knife were, it fits his niche (hard use, solid knives at reasonable price) brilliantly, and you can remedy the 'coldness' a bit with the wood inlays (great wood, kinda expensive!).

Also, I wish Chris used Norris stainless damascus or Damasteel instead of Devin's stainless stuff, as they both hold an edge better.

[This message has been edited by rdangerer (edited 02-16-2001).]

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ENGINE3C:
Point #2 - I compared a Benchmade Pinnacle mono lock to MY large plain Sebenza-the result-there is No comparison.
</font>

Actually, the comparison is a good one. I think Benchmade offers a LOT of knife at 1/3 the price. You MUST take price into consideration when you observe that the Pinnacle mono-lock is a lower fit/finish, lower performance piece. $90-100 vs. $345. This does not make the Pinnacle a poor product, quite the contrary, you get 2/3 the performance for 1/3 the price. That is a good tradeoff for many people.

Back