Not enough love for the Gayle Bradley 2

I had one, but quickly returned it. I could easily shake the blade from the handle. The detent was very weak. I’m used to a stronger detent like that of my PM2’s and Para 3s.

Has anyone else had a similar experience with their GB2?
Didn't know I could shake it open until I just tried it. It's never accidentally opened on me.
It's actually fairly easy to just fling open if I want to. Don't ever see a need to open it that way.

I didn't store it with the silica pack. Personally, I don't like it when high carbon steel looks new. My antique chisels and misc. cutting tools have heavy patinas.
This CPM M4 is more rust prone than my chisels and such. I'd guess it has a higher carbon content.
Don't know why, but my GB2 just seems to rust easier than my GB1. Can't think of how I've treated them differently for the life of me.

I can't explain it either, but my GB1 is my oldest but cleanest piece of M4. I too have treated them all the same, but every other piece of M4 has spots or starting a patina.

Photos?! Who on earth still has a -1 in stock for order?

Sure I will post some photos. It happened on the auction site with clear pictures of a GB2, dozens sold, 2 left. So I ordered both. Got refunded for one knife. The one that showed up is a GB1 (seven years old). Perfect condition.

I modded my old GB1 to have flush liners.

bg1.jpg

gb1-2.jpg

gb1-3.jpg

Last edited:
Sure I will post some photos. It happened on the auction site with clear pictures of a GB2, dozens sold, 2 left. So I ordered both. Got refunded for one knife. The one that showed up is a GB1 (seven years old). Perfect condition.

I modded my old GB1 to have flush liners.

bg1.jpg

gb1-2.jpg

gb1-3.jpg

Wow. That's cool. What a dumb luck coincidence!

Cool mod on the original liners. I have done the lockbar access mod before. I like that look you have on that one.

Wow. That's cool. What a dumb luck coincidence!

Cool mod on the original liners. I have done the lockbar access mod before. I like that look you have on that one.

Thanks. I really like what it did to the feel of the knife. I want to try it on a GB2 because the GB2 doesn't have a choil so I wouldn't be grinding in a choil on the blade and therefore having to make a custom stop pin.

Edit: On the GB2 it looks like the tip of the blade is too close to protruding from the knife when closed for my mod to work safely.

Last edited:
Although I do like the proud liners on the GB1 & 2 because to me they kind of take away some of that blocky feel. But I've got to say it looks like you did an excellent job. I'd love feel the difference, again awesome work!

I can't explain it either, but my GB1 is my oldest but cleanest piece of M4. I too have treated them all the same, but every other piece of M4 has spots or starting a patina.
Well, I guess I have to take back my previous statement. Just went to my storage and my GB1 has a lot of rust on it.
I dunno. I really do love this cpmM4.
None of my D2 has rusted. My A2 has a mist of rust. My M4 is permanently changed now.
I blame M4 for my negligence.
Couldn't possibly be my fault.

Just received the GB1 and GB2 today.

This is the 1st time I've ever handled either of them. I like the GB1 better because I like the feel of its larger size and heavier weight in my hand and I also like the more robust liners and the thicker liner lock, which are indicators to me that the GB1 is stronger and would hold up better to heavy use than the GB2. The additional thickness/weight of the GB1 also does not bother me as far as pocket carry is concerned.

So, I would prefer to carry and use the GB1.

BTW, the GB2 came w/a special insert from Spyderco stating that the M4 steel requires regular attention, should be oiled regularly to avoid discoloration and/or oxidation and that Spyderco denies liability for any such event.

Last edited:
Just received the GB1 and GB2 today.

This is the 1st time I've ever handled either of them. I like the GB1 better because I like the feel of its larger size and heavier weight in my hand and I also like the more robust liners and the thicker liner lock, which are indicators to me that the GB1 is stronger and would hold up better to heavy use than the GB2. The additional thickness/weight of the GB1 also does not bother me as far as pocket carry is concerned.

So, I would prefer to carry and use the GB1.

BTW, the GB2 came w/a special insert from Spyderco stating that the M4 steel requires regular attention, should be oiled regularly to avoid discoloration and/or oxidation and that Spyderco denies liability for any such event.
Yeah, it's a tool steel. I like the look of wear on a good tool steel. All of my woodworking tools have a heavy patina.
And yeah, the GB1 is a bit thicker which, IMHO, makes it much better for a work knife. I can use it pretty hard without discomforting bit into the hand.

Well, I guess I have to take back my previous statement. Just went to my storage and my GB1 has a lot of rust on it.
I dunno. I really do love this cpmM4.
None of my D2 has rusted. My A2 has a mist of rust. My M4 is permanently changed now.
I blame M4 for my negligence.
Couldn't possibly be my fault.

It's interesting that you have so many corrosion issues because you live in a dry climate. I have carried my GB1 quite a bit and also had it sitting unused for lengths of time and have yet to see a single speck of corrosion.

It's interesting that you have so many corrosion issues because you live in a dry climate. I have carried my GB1 quite a bit and also had it sitting unused for lengths of time and have yet to see a single speck of corrosion.
I worked on the waterfront for many years and got a good patina on my GB1 but that's about it. It was used continuously so any rust that tried to take hold was quickly worked off. My coworker had a GB1 as well and he used his about as much as I used mine and his was a rust monster. He attributed it to being a sweaty guy... couldn't think of anything else to explain it.
I maintained both knives on a regular basis and his most definitely was a rust monster. Probably some simple thing that I just can't figure out for the life of me.
And again, all of my woodworking tools do not have stainless blades and they all are prone to rust and/or patina.
IMHO, it's totally normal for high carbon steels that are frequently used.

Me and my 2 cents.

This is my 4th G.B.2. I've had them come in and out of my possession, and this last one I decided would be a permanent keeper.

Today I modded the scale for a little better lock bar access. Less than 10 minutes, start to finish.

To me this simple mod makes the knife simply perfect!

Following this, the knife got a full sharpening on the W.E. up through 1200 ceramic stones, and she is simply singing sharp!

This knife shares space with a Shiro in the top drawer of my knife chest as my two favorite folders (of all time).

20190302_120802~01.jpg 20190302_120819~01.jpg

what is the actual hrc on the gb2? cpm-m4 should be an easy 62 but I've read somewhere else that they might temper it lower

spyderco's website does not list it either : (

ySCUX3Ql.jpg

This thing keeps getting better and better. I've had knives costing many multiples as much not as smooth or cut as well as this. All time favorite (in the running, anyway)

Here's a few pics with my lock access mod. Made a great knife absolutely spectacular.

nub89ry.jpg

Wf0Ogx5.jpg

fj9iZE5.jpg

C5uwzWm.jpg

Also did my Positron.

OvEGdB0.jpg

Back