Not your every day mirror edge

BluntCut MetalWorks

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Here is a good way to waste :thumbdn: your otherwise perfect weekend :p

Below is not a puzzle but just a curiosity, How did I put a rough mirror finish on my experimental 52100 knife. Please take a very careful look before take a stab at it.

Nice even slightly convex bevel. The blade has 100grit AlO sandpaper scratches
ki2s.jpg

Aaaah some reflection
71ps.jpg

something is off
geq7.jpg

hmm something odd about the: bevel shoulder, vertical lines, horizontal lines:suspicion:
4lkl.jpg

Heheh before all the regular knifenuts giving up on this thread. How's about, you can achieve a full mirror down to 0.1um for any steels, almost at any angles, V & Convex bevel... AND go through the entire grit progression (160um to 0.1um) using one hand & blind folded!. OK ok, new & intermediate sharpeners may want to keep their eyes open.

edit:

btw - the edge above was quickly produced with sparsely incomplete grit progression 45um -> 12um -> 1um -> 0.5um -> 0.1um.

Last edited:
A little background. About 15 months ago, my goal was to produce a good working edge (whittle wood, slice cardboard etc..) and a mirror edge as a bonus. After many tries, I failed.

3 days ago - a subconscious 'doh, easy beerer edge :)'. Took me about 2 minutes to showed my kids - both without a doubt, told me they can produce this edge using 1 hand & blind folded too. ymvw on the result sharpness. Oh haha, my kids thought I was trolling when I first showed them this thread.

Material cost: any where between $10 to $100, depend on steel & abrasive type+quality
* enough for at least 100 mirror edges or into thousands if you are using bulk abrasive.

Estimated work time to achieve mirror from 1k finished edge
1095 @60rc: 10-15 minutes
s30v @60rc: 15-30 minutes

Interested? If there are enough 'yes' ...

Last edited:
Are you using some variation of your sandbox and dragging the edge through loose abrasive media in different grades?

Brian.

Sorry for segued from a curiosity to a possibly a how-to to put mirror finish on an existing edge. Also good for quick touch up on existing mirror edge too.

So my last question was: who's interested in able to put a mirror finish on an edge, so easy that a one handed blind person can do it too.

I'm lost.....

No. I would cost a small fortune to buy all that abrasives in full grit progression. Beside in this scenario, the bevel shoulder and the blade will get a braded too. We don't want that for Damascus, blasted, coated, etc.. blades.
Are you using some variation of your sandbox and dragging the edge through loose abrasive media in different grades?

Brian.

Many good guesses :thumbup: but ...

One more clue - You can mirror just upper or lower (yes, partial) part of the bevel. e.g. mirror the top 1/3 and haze the lower 2/3 or vice versa.

I will take a picture of my 10cents sophisticated device and share later...

edit: most of the time you can get the device for free ;)

Last edited:
Out in the field, you can use this same technique to restore your edge. The sophisticated device best use in upside down position while using natural abrasive (um.. mud/sand/clay).

Come on knifeknuts, pitch in your best shot :cool:

Back