Not your every day mirror edge

Its the whole partial bevel that's getting me. I remember seeing something like this recently.

Here is another experimental knife with no work done after belt grinded - 120grit ceramic belt zero sabre/scandi grind. What it looks like after 2 minutes with 250grit abrasive and I decided 3mm tall.

IMG_0861.jpg

has to be something hard if it will not round the edge. One handed blind man has me interested. :) I'm guessing bike tire

Last edited:
Look for more clue at the image I just posted... see that the apex area abraded less than the upper half of the bevel. Notice this knife doesn't has a sharpening bevel, so how did I only abraded ~3mm instead of the whole scandi/sabre faces? to be clear, hence this action will create a new sharpening bevel with the angle stay about the same as the primary grind (scandi/sabre).

Congrats best guess - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.

edit: Andy/Awestib

Last edited:
Congrats best guess - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.
The two guessed a wooden board.
Could it be a fence board then? Its solid, vertical and if there is a proper space between two boards you could pass your knife through it blindfolded and at an angle because it would be guided between the two boards.
Like this
|/|

The two guessed a wooden board.
Could it be a fence board then? Its solid, vertical and if there is a proper space between two boards you could pass your knife through it blindfolded and at an angle because it would be guided between the two boards.
Like this
|/|

Good but difficult to keep a steady angle and not create burr/wire in the process.

Good but difficult to keep a steady angle and not create burr/wire in the process.
The angle could be steady if the blade touches both boards at the same time |/| (board blade board)
Add the abrasive only to the left board and the right board stays clean and acts as a guide.
You twist the blade so the edge touches the left board and the spine the right board.
Then move it back and forth taking care that spine and edge stay in contact with both boards.

A microscopic image of a used mirror edge. You do it with a belt grinder in about 5 minutes.

I don't get this thread.

Kevin

Nice edge Kevin. Indeed this can easily be done with a belt grinder in minutes however it requires very high level of skills. Even more for a blade with re-curve. And almost impossible if there isn't a sharpening bevel or decided only polish part of a bevel.

I guess my fun with this thread is about end eh ;)

A microscopic image of a used mirror edge. You do it with a belt grinder in about 5 minutes.

I don't get this thread.

Kevin

Back