Of Guns and knives!

wildmanh

Part time Leather Bender/Sheath maker
So we don't derail Jakes 12" AK thread to much I thought I'd start a new one here about guns and knives.

When I go to the range, I like to carry a Fixed blade which is normally my Western L36 5" bowie/hunter or a customised Kumar Karda. Along with the Fixed blade I'll normally have 1 pistol on my hip at all times. Sometimes it's my 1911-A1 or one of my two Ruger Revolvers.

Picked up a H&R 20G Single shot shotgun a few weeks ago. Have not had a chance to use it yet do to frequent storms. But I think it will go great with my other weapons.

I'm planning a few hikes and backpacking trips for the summer and fall while the weather is nice. 2 trips up Mount Nebo, 1 trip from the Spring City Campground to the Hay Stack (well the valley next to that cliff formation) and hopefully one up Cannal Creek Canyon (It's just south of Spring City). Some of those trails aren't used or cleared much so they will probably need work. Got my Trail clearing blades mostly picked out. A 21" Bow saw, 2.5lbs 3/4 Michigan Axe and a Machete or Lisa my 20" Sirupati. Between those three I should be able to handle trees, brush and what ever else is in my way.

Honestly Picking the trail clearing blades/tools was rather easy. Figuring out if I want to carry a pistol and/or Rifle/shotgun on trips and if so which ones is proving dificult. Will probably boil down to which backpack I have on for the trip, which gun and holster doesn't get in the way of said backpack and which one I can afford to shoot. Not to mention carry enough ammo for a good plinking session. Almost sounds as though my .22's and Blackhawk with the 9mm cylinder are the way to go. But the 20g is so cool and the 1911-A1 is such a tack driver. See my problem?

For regulare camping out of a car, I'm liable to bring tons of guns and knives. Or 1 each, just depends on my mood.

Made an IWB holster for my 1911 and had one for my SIG P6 when I owned it (sold it to pay for schooling last semester). But am thinking about getting a Ruger SR9 because it's lighter then my 1911, slimmer then my SIG was and fits my hand nicely. Of course, If I just get used to carrying my 1911, I'll have more money to save towards the land I've been wanting to get. LOL!!

Now that I've rambled a bit, lets here from you guys. Doesn't have to be about what I mentioned just has to be about guns and knives.

Guns and knives, two of my favorite topics. I thought HIKV was bad, but guns are worse because they are much more expensive. I have a very long wish list of guns I want to eventually pick up, but it'll have to wait until later as finances and space allow. Luckily I already have enough guns and knives for my needs, the stuff on my list is really a bunch of wants. Still, I want a blued barbecue gun of the 1911 variety, fully engraved by our own gravertom.

Here's a pic of the khukuri and pistol that I keep near my bedside.

ciilccandm43.jpg

Thanks for the picture! You have problems with guns too eh? A few years ago a Archery, Gun and outdoors shop opened up in Ephraim next to the supermarket on the south side of town. Since I only live a few blocks away I'm there almost once a week. Got my shotgon there a few weeks ago and have a S&W I-bolt in 25-06 on lay-away, Am almost afraid to go in sometimes cause I might find another good deal. LOL!!

What make and model 1911-1A is that? Aside from the front serrations and different grips, that gun is Identical to my SpringField Standard model from 1994 (the loaded model is bassed off the standard) I think you mentioned it before, but I can't remember for sure.

In a month or two I should be moving into my own 1 bedroom apartment. Currently I'm sharing a house with 6 other guys. This will allow me to do some or all of my leather working from my own place and let me have more knives and some guns at hand. :)

Awesome thread:)

Well, if I think about it rationally long enough, I really don't NEED anything more than a Sodbuster and my LCR stuffed in my pocket.

But we all know that rational thinking for the weak-willed that lack the imaginative faculties to think outside the box:D:cool:

When the summer season hits, I'm in a tee shirt or polo and shorts. I generally wear cargo shorts so that means that I'm packing the LCR in my large left pocket and either a simple Buck 110 in a back pocket sheath or maybe a small HI fixed blade. If I'm not tucking in my shirt, I might go ahead and strap on my IWB and wear my Glock 36.

That said, the winter/spring/fall seasons are when I get to play with what I carry. As I stated in another thread, I have taken to packing my Tirtha bowie on a shoulder rig. It rides just fine there:) However, if I really want to balance it out I strap my stainless 6.5" .357 blackhawk (non convertible). The whole thing probably weighs 5lbs if its a pound, but it's just too fun to wear to worry about that.

Happiness is hanging out in the backyard and grilling out on a saturday afternoon wearing a tee shirt with a 10" blade strapped to one side of your chest and a hog leg hanging off the other side as you bewildered nosy neighbors pick through the windows at your attire:D:thumbup:

As for picking out a load out for camping and hiking...man, I would love to bring them all. Between my HI knives and my super sweet Fiddleback, I never know what I should be carrying. I might actually make special shoulder sheath for the Woodsman. I almost always have a pistol on me, but that can be as simple as a Ruger P89, or my fore mentioned Blackhawk, or even a cap and ball if I want to feel like a real old timey cowboy:D
Long arm wise, well does one bring? The versatile 12 gauge Remington 870, the cheap to feed plinking .22 rifle, the Russian bushwacker .410 Saiga, or the fire breathing Mosin Nagant?

Variety is the frustrating spice of life, ain't it:D?

Heber,

That gun is a Les Baer Concept II.

I love 1911s. No better pistol IMO. This is my only other 1911.

springfieldcustomcarry.jpg

Heber,

That gun is a Les Baer Concept II.

I love 1911s. No better pistol IMO. This is my only other 1911.

springfieldcustomcarry.jpg

I've seen that custom before. Nice gun! For those that don't know, would you mind retelling the story of how it came to be?

Jake, I normally have a slipjoint in my right front pocket. Most often it's a Yellow handled CV steel Case Stockman, though sometimes my Red handled Case Sod Buster or Camillus Premium stockman is there. Then I have a modern 1 handed folder in the right leg pocket when I'm wearing Carpenter or Cargo jeans. Then when I'm out in the yard or woods, I have at least 1 fixed blade on me. Guess I have the same problem and bad!! LOL

Those Stainless blackhawks are sweet looking!! Which grips are one yours?

I had a Springfield Armory XDM 9mm until my house burned down last year. The gun is toast; but several boxes of ammo survived with nothing worse than soot damaged boxes. I'm thinking of getting a new replacement for the XDM and have been thinking about a Ruger SR9. Any thoughts on the SR9 or other choices.

Heber I really like your sheaths.

Well, my gun problem is mostly solved. When I got burnt to the ground over the last 3 years, I had to sell most of them. I only kept my most useful killing guns. All the target and sporting guns went to the auction block.

So, I'm down to a Ruger Single Six, Glock 21, Rem 870, AK, M91/30 Mosin Nagant (couldn't get rid of it, since I have 12 880 round cases of ammo for it), and the AR I managed to build myself (emotional attachment).

For camping and even hiking, I usually take the M91/30
Mosin003s.jpg

Nice thing about it, other than being very accurate, is that it's powerful enough to hunt anything here, and like all of the full-stocked military rifles, it can be used as a walking staff. So, although it's long and anything but light, it actual;ly helps the walk, rather than hinders.

Heber,

The second 1911 is a Springfield Custom Carry. I value this gun above all others because it was an engagement present from my wife. That she bought it meant the world to me as she came from an anti-gun background. Getting this gun meant that she understood my beliefs regarding the 2nd Amendment and that she accepted me for who I am and wouldn't try to change me. It may have been a small gesture on her part, but it confirmed that I had chosen the right woman to spend my life with. This is the one gun that I will never part with.

- Christian

Those Stainless blackhawks are sweet looking!! Which grips are one yours?

It has the standard rosewood grips:) Looks gorgeous. I trade the grips out based on the application. For walkin' around, the slab grips are just fine and comfy. When I'm going camping, I slip on a monogrip just keep the slabs from getting dinged up. Besides, a stainless revolver with a rubber grip is super weather resistant:) I actually fell into this gun by trading some broken milsurp pistols to a guy that could get them up and running. He got something of value to him, I got my favorite pistol of all time. End of the world, time to scrounge for shells and get by on what you can, I'm grabbing the ol' .357 Blackhawk first.

Cpl, I love the M/N for the very same reason you stated. In addition to being affordable to buy and feed, the 7.62x54r is a nasty blaster of a round. Plenty of punch and range that can take pretty much everything on the continent. Personally, I find the 91/30 just too dang heavy and cumbersome to use for anything short of bench shooting. It's not really the weight, but for a southpaw, balancing that hunk of steel and wood and reaching over to work the bolt...fuhgidaboudit:D When I do throw it in the truck, it's loaded with 4 rounds and the bolt closed on the empty chamber. That Russian safety is laughable at best. What's the old saying, "Safety is for when not killing enemy of mother Russia....should ALWAYS be killing enemy of mother Russia!!:p

I'm currently in the works of purchasing an M38 from a forum friend which should solve my issues with the 91/30. Got a love a gun that can not only kill your dinner, but can start the fire on which to cook it:p

I started collecting knives years ago because gun collecting was getting to be too expensive, and I just knew that knives were cheaper. :rolleyes:

Then I ran into HI, and guess I could have financed a whole new armory had I wished. :D Still, can't have one without the other.

I like the 20 gauge a lot. Most people don't know that the 20 has 75% of the clout of the 2 3/4" 12 gauge, but just half the recoil, making it a good walking around shotgun as well as the perfect shotgun for your wife or daughter for home defense.

You're lucky to get an M38 Jake. I have an M44 which is the same rifle with a 15" folding bayonet, and learned a lot about them from Kismet who has taken several deer with his. I took off the bayonet and was considering grinding off the lug, but haven't gone that far as yet. So far I've added a new stock and sling and scope mount and cheap scope. I didn't have to buy an aftermarket trigger as I got very lucky as the factory trigger pull on mine is a perfect 4.5 lbs. no creep, when normally they are as much as 8 lb.s or more. Mine was made in 1945 but has a perfect bore as well. Can't beat it for $75 base price!

Norm

Last edited:
Bedside table gun is a Les Baer Concept VI stainless with VZ grips. Usual carry guns are a Les Baer Thunder Ranch Comanche, or a Springfield Micro Compact 1911. I own other pistols, but favor the 1911 strongly.

My current woods-bumming pair is this -
IMG_7556.jpg

This is a Judge Public Defender and a Laconico linerlock. The Defender is a good choice for my needs here on the property as it offers loads of versatility. We are moving into snake season down here, and the rattlers and the copperheads are beginning to move. I don't usually make trouble for our legless neighbors, but we have dogs, and the dogs tend to stick their noses in where they don't belong. If the snake is anywhere around the house or outbuildings, it is disposed of.

The knife is a custom made for me. It has a 4" O1 blade and titanium liners. It's pretty, but a very solid worker too.

Andy

Whoa, Kis uses Russian hardware?:D I had no idea.
I picked up a cheap 91/30 at Gander Mountain a couple years ago and was hooked. I actually prefer the look of the M44 with the folding bayonet, but I am taking a couple of trips next fall to areas where a long arm could come in handy but anything "military" might be frowned upon.

Whoa, Kis uses Russian hardware?:D I had no idea.
I picked up a cheap 91/30 at Gander Mountain a couple years ago and was hooked. I actually prefer the look of the M44 with the folding bayonet, but I am taking a couple of trips next fall to areas where a long arm could come in handy but anything "military" might be frowned upon.

3-4centeredmosincobblerleupold-1.jpg

doeonly08MosinwithscoutRagnarblade1.jpg

well doggone it, Kis. Now I'm going to have scope one of those up:D

Shown is 2.3 LER Leupold. Less expensive, but often used by forum folks in mil-surp sites, is the NC Star, LER, 2-7x. Rear sight taps out, replaced by ebay mount, no damage to rifle. Seems to get good reports.

Here's a couple pics of the Blackhawk shoulder rig I'm wearing today. The pics suck, but I was having a hard time taking them in the mirror. Sorry, I'm not enough of a narcissist to have perfected the art:D

IMG00273-20110401-1130.jpg

Here's my BH holster. Cross draw and adjustable enough to ride high or low. I also went ahead an gave it enough clearance to accept an 8" barrel should I lose my mind and pick up a 44 mag. Yes, that is a skull and cross bones concho:p

IMG00272-20110401-1129.jpg

Here's a pic of the "other side" where I keep two sliders of 3 rounds each for a reload. Not very practical, but it's a single action. Nothin is fast about these....plus they look kinda cool:p

Now the funny part was that I felt compelled to tell my assistant what I was doing in the bathroom. I'm sure she wondered why I was in there for 3 or 4 minutes and she could probably hear the "Ker-chick" of a cellphone camera going off:D

Shown is 2.3 LER Leupold. Less expensive, but often used by forum folks in mil-surp sites, is the NC Star, LER, 2-7x. Rear sight taps out, replaced by ebay mount, no damage to rifle. Seems to get good reports.

I have the NC Star scope, and could have got it for just over $40 online WITH the rings. Instead, I made the huge mistake of buying it from the supplier of (an excellent) after market scope mount. The mount sells for about $50 IIRC, and is worth every penny. Unfortunately, I made the clueless mistake of buying the scope from him as well, and he charged me $90 for the scope, took the rings out of the box, and charged me $10 for those as well! :eek:

Once I figured it out I told him OK fair enough on screwing me on the pricing, caveat emptor and all that, but he owed me $10 for the rings as they should be included, and if he didn't pay up I would tell NC Star that he was parting out their product.

Anyway, the lesson is, shop around online for the NC Star scopes. This sweet Leupold as it is in a whole 'nother class, but the NC Star work's surprisngly well, and if they break NC Star will fix them no questions asked for a flat ten bucks. I have Leupold's on a couple of other rifles, but for a knock-around milsurp I didn't want to get too pricy...

Norm

Back