Of Guns and knives!

Here's one

j0w468.jpg

on more, full of interesting goodness; Russian AKS-74 [made in Izhevsk Izmash plant], with Collimeter sight, with Sound suppressor [silencer]. Knife is a Voyager X2 full serrated.

I've sent a picture of this set to Lt Gen. M. Kalashnikov himself, and he approved - he sent me back a signed photo.

24ez1is.jpg

Here's one for Karda;

1hfqlk.jpg

This is the one we discussed earlier. Crappy picture, but it was the one I ahd handy. At any rate, it's quite the beast!

Thats the 12ga, huh? one scary beastie!
Lordy, i'd hate to be on the wrong end of that!

I have WAY more guns than knives. I can't help myself and I've had 3.5 decades of not really trying to stop! As far as knives, I mostly have HI and Spyderco. If I'm wearing something with pockets, I always have two Spydercos on me. One clipped to each front pocket. The left side is always the same, G10 Harpy. The right side changes now and then. Usually a Native but it's a Lightweight Calypso Jr. right now. (I'm a righty.)

My normal carry gun is a S&W M296 Centennial Airweight .44 Special. For walking in the woods.... well, there are so many choices. One of the various S&W Mountain Guns is always a good choice. I probably carry the .44 Magnum (629) version the most but the 625 in .45 Colt is versatile since I had it modified to use full moon clips. So it sees a lot of .45 ACP. .22's are always useful so then I have to pick between a 1960's Ruger Bearcat or one of the semi's. Like a MK1 Ruger Auto or a Browning Nomad. When it feels like a .22 is too light and a .44 is too much, I can always pick up one of the many .32 Magnums. Big fan of that cartridge if you reload.

For rifles.... it is darn hard to do better than an AR. Especially if you are ex-Army like myself. I just keeping getting more. .22 LR uppers, .223/5.56 uppers, 6.8 SPC for hunting, .357 SIG for all kinds of fun things. I still don't have an AR upper in 5.7 with P90 50 shot mags or one in 5.45x39 but it is just a matter of time! Get one or two of your lowers registered as SBR's and then you can enjoy them with stocks but short barrels. Especially nice for something like that .357 SIG. It's a sweetheart with a 9" barrel.

Gregg

Saturday the 2nd I went to the shooting range with my two .22 pistols and my new shotgun. That 20 gauge makes mince meat out of Pop cans at 30 paces. After 12 to 15 shots a shell got stuck in the chamber like the extractor didn't work. Opened and closed the action a few times and the shell popped out. Now every other shell is sticking. Am not sure if it's the shells I'm using or if it's the gun. If the weather is nice this weekend I'll take it back out to the range with different shells to see what happens. Shoots nice!

After giving up on the shotgun for the day I pulled out my Single Six Convertible, switched to the .22WRM cylinder and proceded to put 48 rounds down range at 7 yards. It was lots of fun. Learned that I need to practice with it more. Thank goodness 50 round boxes are only $10 at the local hunting shop thats in walking distance of my place. And 500 round boxes of .22LR are only $20. :) There is a good chance that I'll be carrying my Single Six a lot in the hills and mountains loaded with .22 WRM this summer. Lots cheeper to shoot then my Blackhawk Convertible.

Gotta love the .22 revolver. I have a cheapy Plinkerton that is a lot of fun. A six shot .22 revolver with the weight and fee of a Single Action Army...lots of fun for popping a box at the range:)

Now, the single six...that's an awesome gun:)

Gotta love the .22 revolver. I have a cheapy Plinkerton that is a lot of fun. A six shot .22 revolver with the weight and fee of a Single Action Army...lots of fun for popping a box at the range:)

Now, the single six...that's an awesome gun:)

Yes, it surely is! You should get a stainless to match your Black hawk. ;) imo the 5.5" Barrel or longer is the way to go.

Here's one I posted not long ago. My much loved M-43, much cherished Dave Clements custom Redhawk (with 320 HC loads, for pesky Texas bruins:D), and ever handy ESEE-4.

M-43ESEERedhawk001.jpg

BTW, Jake, how much did you pay that muscular young man to model your gear:)? Take care everyone and God bless.

Here's one I posted not long ago. My much loved M-43, much cherished Dave Clements custom Redhawk (with 320 HC loads, for pesky Texas bruins:D), and ever handy ESEE-4.

BTW, Jake, how much did you pay that muscular young man to model your gear:)? Take care everyone and God bless.

That's a nice looking combo that you have there, thanks for sharing it with us. Do you have any pictures of your Redhawks Holster?

20 inch CAK and 18 1/2 inch sawed off 12 gauge

DSC01892.jpg

One of the few firearms I have of my grandfathers - WW 2 P-38 direct from German soldier (Dead) P-38 is in fine working condition and Cherokee Rose

DSC01890.jpg

thanks for the thread it reminds me i need to get all my firearms out and clean them and take them to the range

i started cleaning my room and piling all the important stuff on the couch thought it made a good pic

DSC01473.jpg

problem is there is another similar pile on the bed - where does it all come from ?

BFH44, thanks for the pics!! Nice pile of guns and knives you have there. Is there a story behind your model 12's? My mom still has my dad's old Model 12 from probably the 40's. It's a fun gun to shoot!! Is your sawed off shotgun a H&R? I love mine, but don't think I'll cut it shorter. Feels good the way it is. ;) That Cherokee Rose is lovely!!

Thanks - the savage is a model 28 and the sawed off H and R topper - i got from a friend because his new wife doesn't like guns in the house -- so he gave it to me

Thanks - the savage is a model 28 and the sawed off H and R topper - i got from a friend because his new wife doesn't like guns in the house -- so he gave it to me

I was certain that you had a model 12. :eek: I looked up the Savage Model 28 and found out that it was patterned after the Model 12. Love them H&R shotguns!! :)

I have a few:
Sig 245
Sig 228
LB LW Commander (probably 15+ years old)
Glock 27
Browning HP, breathed on by Novak
Benelli Super 90, M1, 18.5", 7 rnd tube, rifle sights
SA M1a (Match)

but the nightstand and carry gun has been the same for a long time, HK P7M8

Attachments

• hk1.jpg
    hk1.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 6
i know quite a few of you are knowledgeable about firearms. I have never been very good with numbers and so i often get confused when i try to remember different guns and the models and types of ammo.

So i want to ask a question.

i have been thinking about getting a couple of handguns and i am stuck - but i guess a lot of it is personal preference

I am thinking of getting two hand guns. I am disabled and money is tight so i have to save up to get stuff and i would hat e to spend a few hundred and then be disappointed or change my mind.

I like the S & W - M and P but not sure which caliber (9mm; 40 cal or 45) and i like the Springfield XDM (again not sure of which 9mm 40 or 45) and of course then there is the Glock - i have read good things abut all 3 and Glock is supposed to be well known for dependability and that's why so many police departments use them (so i have been told)

these will be for personal protection and of course in event of zombie apocalypse (or end if days situations)

so just asking you guys your thoughts on caliber and model and companies what you like or dont like -- thank you

sincerely -- Eric

I like the S & W - M and P but not sure which caliber (9mm; 40 cal or 45) and i like the Springfield XDM (again not sure of which 9mm 40 or 45) and of course then there is the Glock - i have read good things abut all 3 and Glock is supposed to be well known for dependability and that's why so many police departments use them (so i have been told)

these will be for personal protection and of course in event of zombie apocalypse (or end if days situations)

so just asking you guys your thoughts on caliber and model and companies what you like or dont like -- thank you

sincerely -- Eric

Eric - I'd go with the GLOCK.

When/if you're ready to purchase, contact me and I'll help you out.

sincerely -- Eric

OK, here's my toe0-stepping opinion:

Glocks are nice, I have a couple. They work, they are dependable, and weren't expensive when I bought them.
The M&P and XD, especially the XDm are also nice. Of the three, if I was stareting out, I'd go with the XDm.

However, if I was starting over and didn't have that list to limit myself to, I'd buy a Sig. IMO Sigs are nicer than any of those three, and work for me better than even an H&K. I don't know how prices are in your area, but I can get a blue finish SigPro (polymer frame) 229 (9mm) for $450, although other Sig Models are $850-$900 with the Nitrolon finish.

In reality, all of the above: Glock, M&W, XD, Sig, H&K are fine pistols and the deciding factor should be which one feels best in your hand, although if you go with the 9mm, the full size XDm does have a 19 round magazine, which is a consideration.

As for caliber, I'd pick between the 9mm and .45 ACP, and here's why.
Good 9mm hollowpoints will expand from .355" to around .6"-.65", and penetrate 14-16 inches.
Good .45 hollowpoints will expand from .452" to .8"-.9", although I recently tested a batch of Winchester Rangers I ordered, and they all pushed 1" ikn expansion, with 15-17" of penetration.

Why I don't like the .40 S&W is:
1.) Its a higher pressure cartridge than the 9mm or .45 ACP, making recoil noticeably "snappier".
2.) Its expansion and penetration numbers are no better than the 9mm, but with reduced magazine capacity.
3.) The .45 ACP has better expansion and penetration numbers and guns are available with magazine capacities that rival the .40, with less punishing recoil.
4.) With no better performance, the .40 S&W's ammo also costs more than the 9mm, close to .45 ACP costs.

Personally, when I moved to Glocks I went with the .45 ACP, but my decision was an economic one, not a performance one. See, I had been a .45 shooter for quite some time, and I had 3000 rounds of FMJ ammo, 600 Hydra-Shoks, and 260 Gold Dots. To replace the gun AND stock up on a new caliber would be cost prohibitive. Also at the time, Glock was coming out with their SF models which would not use the standard G21 magazines, but the standard G21 would accept the new magazines, so I caught Natchez while they were getting rid of the old mags for the new, and scored a dozen G21 mags for $10 each, when they had been running $35 at the time.

Starting off now, I'd not feel undergunned with a 9mm. The guns usually run a bit less, the ammo is definitely less, and it performs well enough.

If it's going to be carried, I think the compact models like the G19 hit the sweet spot of being easy to conceal, but big enough to control easily.

Last edited:
Back