Of Guns and knives!

Eric in my opinion, you can't go wrong with either of those 3 pistol lines. Find the one that fits your hand comfortably, and points well for you in the caliber that you want, then get it and practice! The more you practice with a given pistol, the better you are. 9mm is the lowest cost of the 3 rounds you mentioned, it's also easier to shoot compared to the .40 S&W. If you can afford to buy more ammo to practice and you can handle the recoil of the gun and ammo, you will have better shot placement. With modern ammo shot placement counts for more then bullet size.

I'm thinking of getting a Ruger SR9 (9mm) for CCW/defence. It's one of the few full sized 9mm pistols I've handled that are actually slimmer then my .45 ACP 1911-A1. Am good with my 1911-A1, but can't afford to shoot it much so I figure why not get a 9mm semi auto that I can shoot and get really good with. Would love to have a 9mm 1911-A1 but they tend to cost more then the Ruger SR9, Glock, XD(m) and other polymer pistols.

Cpl Punishment beat me to it and I think he may have said it better. :)

thanks guys - i never carried guns when i was younger (even though i ran with bad people) because i had a really really bad temper back then -and i was sure i would get in trouble as well as probably hurt someone who didn't really deserve it. - i used to get so angry i would have back-out like some drinkers have except no booze - someone would be hurt and i would be going to jail and not really remember it all

- haven't had a fight or been to jail in 19 plus years and have Nuclear power plant security clearance (retina ID scan and the whole bit state troopers cant walk in that gate )

i have been a whole different person for years now so i know i wouldn't go off the handle otherwise i would not bother (doing a life sentence over a traffic light argument would've been a bit much)

so all the info above is great and truly appreciated guys thank you

I was playing - but at first i thought "is that some part of a gun i had not heard of":)

- haven't had a fight or been to jail in 19 plus years and have Nuclear power plant security clearance (retina ID scan and the whole bit state troopers cant walk in that gate )

If you want to have fun, ask if you can be one of the "bad guys" for the NEST team's training. Those guys are really, really good at what they do.

That's a nice looking combo that you have there, thanks for sharing it with us. Do you have any pictures of your Redhawks Holster?

Heber, I don't have a holster for this gun. I have some that would "work", but it doesn't have it's own. I have made holsters for the last two .44 field revolvers I've owned, but haven't for this this one yet. I actually thought about getting a Simply Rugged holster. They have a really good reputation. Thanks for the compliment. I'm pretty well set with this set up. There's some nice pieces in this thread. Take care.

Of those three.... I have several Glocks and use them a lot. They are utilitarian tools. They do what they are meant to do and do it well. I'm just not emotionally attached to any of them. The new XDm models are very nice. I don't really care for the M&P line. As several said, you should really go to a gun store that does rentals and fire one of each. I've handed Glocks to people who loved them right away. I've handed Glocks to people who hated them right away. Everybody is different.

I wouldn't be me if I didn't say this. I have many, many guns and I could carry just about whatever I wanted. But after all these years my basic attitude towards CCW by civilians hasn't changed much. I see autos as guns for the range and for shooting games. And for the military and for the police. For civilian concealed use, I always recommend a revolver. Every now and then I decide to start carrying one of my HK P7's or a 1911. I usually make it 1-3 months before I go back to a revolver. S&W M296 Airweight Centennial .44 Special in my case.

Gregg

Thank you - all you guys i really appreciate the input - it will be a month or so before i buy something but it is good to read all the ideas here - i know it wasn't the purpose of the thread didn't mean to get things sidetracked - thanks

Well summer is upon us (although you won't know it from the weather. 40-something outside and blowing rain). I had a little scratch burning a hole in my pocket, and I decided that even my compact LCR won't do it in the concealed department. Generally, I don't pocket carry unless it's a pair of cargo shorts with big ol' pockets. So that leaves me with IWB (which I really don't like) or OWB which is fine as long as I am wearing something to cover the gun.

I tried and tried and tried to "dress the part" and make my wardrobe fit my carrying lifestyle. That said, I just felt silly. I'm not going to change up my clothing style simply to hide the piece that I could carry openly (if I didn't want to scare my customers) that in all statistically won't need.

While poking around the gun shop, I spied one of the oft talked about but never handled (by me) LCPs. I never really thought I would care for these guns because .380 costs more to shoot than 9mm, .380 was nearly impossible to find a year and a half ago, everyone under the sun has an LCP (from guys carrying a 3rd back up to some knucklehead giving one to his wife who never shot a day in her life).

I have to say, after handling and shooting one, I was impressed:) With the warmer weather upon us (eventually), I'm going to have to start adjusting what I wear to work. Oh, I'll still be packing my LCR, or a full sized pistol when I'm out and about. But at work it's just a pain. Better to get something small and cost effective to ALWAYS have on me rather than not pack at all;)

I made a little form fitting pocket holster out of some scrap leather and some snap rivets. I always build a proof of concept to tweak the design before going to the trouble of drilling holes and stitching.

So today I'm traveling REALLY light. I'm merely packing my little 6 shot .380 and a Case Sodbuster Jr.

Why I don't like the .40 S&W is:
1.) Its a higher pressure cartridge than the 9mm or .45 ACP, making recoil noticeably "snappier".
2.) Its expansion and penetration numbers are no better than the 9mm, but with reduced magazine capacity.
3.) The .45 ACP has better expansion and penetration numbers and guns are available with magazine capacities that rival the .40, with less punishing recoil.
4.) With no better performance, the .40 S&W's ammo also costs more than the 9mm, close to .45 ACP costs.

None of those are entirely 100% true, though. Maybe back when the .40 was new, and still having teething problems.

1. .40 S&W and 9mm are both spec'd at 35,000 PSI. If anything, .40 is lower pressure on average, since 9mm has a +P spec (38,500 PSI, I think), while .40 S&W does not. Most manufacturers really try to avoid hot-rodding the .40, these days. I agree with you about the recoil, though. That's the main downside of the .40. Though it's mostly a product of most .40s being built on 9mm frame guns, especially since the 9mms and .40s have slides that travel a shorter distance than the .45s. Something like a Colt Officer's model vs. a G27 isn't really a fair comparison; it's a little like comparing a .357 SP-101 to a .357 alloy J-frame. The S&W 4006 (I think?), on the other hand, was designed almost from the ground up for the .40, and is a real pussycat.
2. Numbers for good modern .40 cal ammo are closer to .68" to .75" expansion if you measure the widest part, with 14"-ish penetration. They're basically right in the middle between 9mm and .45, for the same brand. Especially when measured the same way. Bullets with "petals" that fold out, should be an average of across the petals as well as between them. A lot of gun rag writers like to measure different rounds in the same test differently, based on how much money they're being paid by the ammo companies. A common trick is to measure across two bits of jacketing that are sticking out. A "true average" is usually more like .56 to .62 for the 9mm, .62 to .68 for the .40, and .68-.74 for the .45.
3. Every double stack .45 ACP I've handled has required you to have hands like Andre the Giant. Except the goofy .45 GAP things, which have really terrible mag capacities (it ends up being more like a 1.5 stack mag than double stack).
4. This one is true, though. Not uncommon for .40 S&W ammo to cost the exact same as .45, really. But handloads give you bullets and powder charges that are halfway between the 9 and the .45, and brass that's practically free (or at least used to be, before the metal hysteria). .45 brass tends to cost around double (though it does usually last longer). 9mm brass is about the same price as .40, but is a tapered case, so it's harder to resize.

Just my two cents.

Anyway, back to original thread topic, here's my EDC. :D

serbuuu.jpg

Okay, not really. Maybe I should buy a trenchcoat. And a back brace.

in pictures back in first two pages i noticed a couple of the (i think they were) AK's had bayonets - most seem the same size with an oval slot cut out in the spine of the blade.

Are these the ones that were originally meant for the AK's?

I think i just bought a couple on ebay - they are Vietnam era and look very similar

Eric

Back