Off to the courthouse

Hopefully you live in a state where community property laws keep your property you owned before marriage seperate. Or 1/2 of all your knives become hers.......................

In my state, you have to keep that seperate property seperate. No co-mingling or it all becomes community properry. Keep your knives and guns in a seperate safe!
I'm sensing a not so happy story somewhere in there?

About time I add the honeymoon trip pix(no X rated stuff). Basically we took off directly after Diesel D's cookout. He and his wife were kind enough to put us up for the night, the next morning we were Smokey Mountain bound. We spent all of our time in the T.N./N.C. area. Our first night was spent in Hot Springs, N.C. We hiked up a trail about a mile or so on the Silver Mine trail. We got to the trail head late and it was raining, so we needed a quick camp. Early the next morning we broke camp and headed down the hill for a quick wash up in the creek and brew up of tea. After our tea, we set out for Clingman's Dome, the only touristy type thing we did really the whole trip. At Clingman's Dome I bought a paperback copy of Horace Kephart's "Camping & Bushcraft" ( which my new wife promptly commandeered). On pure coincidence we set up camp the three nights at Bryson City, N.C. ( Deep Creek). An excellent area we hope to visit again very soon. Apparently Mr. Kephart spent a lot of time at Deep Creek a long time ago and I can understand why, it's beautiful.

The M-18 saw a bit of action the first night hacking up a half dead tree near our tent. The storm probably wasn't strong enough to blow it down, but I just had to chop something. Christina(my wife) carried her BK14, her Hornet and a little river knife that Todd gave her. I rotated blades daily of course, but my M-18 was a constant carry. For my smaller blades I always had at least one or two of the following; Hornet, Magua, Tradewater, BK14 and the BK10.

Our trip started the morning of June 9 and went until the afternoon of 6/13. Now for pix and captions. I'll add these as I go along.

Conditions weren't favorable as we rolled towards the trailhead in the early evening.

The area we were to set up in.

Don't remember if this was on the way up or down, but this was my loadout.

I'm not a huge fan of expansive views, so the closed in rainforest type surroundings were just right.

We found a nice spot on a ridge overlooking a flooded French Broad. It was getting pretty dark quickly so we set up camp. I was a little concerned that the coming storm could potentially bring a 12-13 foot tree remains down upon us so I set about with the M-18 to make us a bit safer.

Campsite after tear down the next morning.

Christina set out with her small fire kit to get us a good enough fire for a couple cups of tea before bed. We had just about finished our tea before the rain set in.

The hike down was pretty uneventful , but upon reaching the trail head our mission was clear, clean up and get some quick breakfast.

We actually washed up in a nearby mountain creek. Damned cold , but invigorating! Sorry, no pix of that.

On the way in we spotted a pretty cool little coffee shop that reminded us of something here back home. We vowed to stop in and I'm glad we did. Plenty of local art and lots of great knowledge of the history and folklore of the area. The young couple that owned the place monitor river levels, offer refuge for AT hikers and just are great people. They're trying to revitalize the local economy and I really hope they fair well. If you're ever in the Laurel , N.C. area stop in!

After some great sausage biscuits and excellent gourmet coffee we set out for Clingman's dome.

Last edited:
Not long after entering Smokey Mtn. Nat'l Park, I realized our quiet trail time was over. I'd heard Clingman's Dome was a very touristy area, a vast understatement. It's a beautiful , winding road up the mountain. Not a short drive, but worth it. After the drive up there's still about a mile walk up to the overlook. A paved path leads the way.

A bit of history.

Great views.

Gotta represent the company.

The overlook.

View from the overlook.

The hike back down, somebody spotted a bear. People ran from behind me to gawk at the distant bruin. I turned to laugh at Christina about the curcus happening and realized she had ran ahed to join them.

I didn't care to see the bear, at least not in the madness surrounding it. I did, however manage to take a pic of the crowd.

No idea who the kid is, but he followed me up the rocks for a little bit. He must've thought I knew where I was going, he doesn't know me.

We headed off the Dome in search of a little more serenity. We stopped at the bottom of the mountain at a visitor center to scope out the camping arrangements. We were pointed to Deep Creek State Park, damn we were about to luck out. I had always heard about Kephart's Camping and Woodcraft book and had picked up a copy at Clingman's Dome. Christina picked through it as I drove. Little did I know that I wouldn't get this book back till we returned to Indiana.

A blurry pic of Christina reading "my" book the first night.

Deep Creek turned out to be the perfect base camp for all of our day hikes. Beautiful surroundings and the local town of Bryson City is very friendly and has great local beer.

My lovely wife.

I snuck a beer for our quick area scout.

You can't tell, but she's actually wearing her Hornet around her neck.

Plenty of firewood was left for us from the last group.

Awesome Italian joint in Bryson City.

The Nantahala Brewing Co was great brewery that didn't serve food, but had take out menus for all the local places and you could bring your meal in to eat there.

We think alike.

About time you posted some pics. You guys are coming up on your one year anniversary aren't you? Lol. Looks like a great trip!

No idea what these are, but she thought they were cool.

Christina Rocks!

Looks like an awesome time Murph. Beautiful area man, wow.

About time! The trip looked like a lot of fun and please tell me you brought one of those Nantahala pint glasses back!

Very nice Murph. You guys look very happy and its good to see pictures where you're not holding the middle finger up to tell us all how you feel about the rest of us!

Where were you guys at again? I'd much rather look at the pictures than read your blah blah blah captions...according to the pictures it looks like local micro beer, a pretty lady, and a beautiful countryside,,........YOU THE MAN MURPH!

Looks like an awesome time Murph. Beautiful area man, wow.

It was man, thank you!

About time! The trip looked like a lot of fun and please tell me you brought one of those Nantahala pint glasses back!

No, the woman was mad I ordered the beer while she was in the restroom so that we'd hafta drink before she found out they didn't serve food. We left after the first beer. I plan to order one or swing down there after or before the next gathering.

Very nice Murph. You guys look very happy and its good to see pictures where you're not holding the middle finger up to tell us all how you feel about the rest of us!

Believe it or not I do keep the middle finger sheathed from time to time.

Where were you guys at again? I'd much rather look at the pictures than read your blah blah blah captions...according to the pictures it looks like local micro beer, a pretty lady, and a beautiful countryside,,........YOU THE MAN MURPH!

North Carolina mainly, Deep Creek/Smokey Mtns. Thanks, it helps to hear that occasionally.

Back