off topic.. shtf question..

being that those on here obviously choose a good knife.. I'm just curious, when shtf..what is your "go to" long gun?? if you could grab just one.. what do you trust for the variety of survival duties? and what circumstances an needs led you zero in on that particular design?

I'd choose an accurate .22LR as my go to in a SHTF scenario.
I can carry lots of ammo to include subsonic ammo for stealth activities.
Might not be the best choice for a firefight but a great choice for bagging small game to eat and not giving away your position.
just my 2 cents YMMV

I would go for an SBR in 5.56. Small enough to stick in a backpack and in a VERY popular caliber that means ammo will be easy to find. Or a Sig MCX with the collapsable pistol brace with a 5.56 and 300 blackout barrel. With a can you can be stealthy with the blackout and know you can find ammo for the 5.56. Win win. Small compact and light weight. Easy to conceal and both are good out to at least 200m, though in SHTF, I wouldn't want to engage unless they were much closer than that and I had to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mossberg 500 shells might be heavier the 22 or 5.56 but gives you alot of options for game geting and people defence plus super reliable

AR-15 carbine with silencer and .22 conversion kit, mags and ammo in the pack.

being that those on here obviously choose a good knife.. I'm just curious, when shtf..what is your "go to" long gun?? if you could grab just one.. what do you trust for the variety of survival duties? and what circumstances an needs led you zero in on that particular design?

Without a doubt, the 22LR is my top choice for "survival" duties.
S&W makes a nice little AR style package called the M&P 15-22 which utilizes a 25 round magazine; also the venerable Ruger 10-22 is available. Sure, my Colt AR-15 and others will work, but without ammo they are useless other than clubs. And that is where the 22LR rules, I can carry 1,500 rounds if needed with relative ease, and combined with an optic they are deadly on all types of game, including headshots on deer and pigs, sitting birds, etc. Nothing else comes close to that kind of accuracy and firepower easily carried in a pack. Oh, and as a bonus the M&P 15-22 comes with a threaded barrel for suppressor.

The other great survival choice is my AK-47; nearly unstoppable survival weapon, slugs off dirt, sand, mud, extremely reliable and uses the powerful 762 x 39 round which I have in hollow points, soft points, etc. Only drawback is the weight. But it's a great SHTF rifle, mainly because of the standard 30 round magazines and knock-down power of the round.

A really good exercise in SHTF prepping:

1 Figure out how much ammo you think you will need
2 load up that much in mags and throw it in a backpack/chest rig.
3 carry it along with all your other gear on a weekend campout.

You soon find out how heavy ammo is and how much space and energy it takes up. You'll either have to cache it somewhere, find more of it somewhere, or make do with what you can carry the first time. my guess is that you won't be able to carry more than 200 rnds of anything but .22lr. That's not much for a lifetime supply.

an ar 15 or 10 is always great. but if i had to choose one gun i feel like i would have to grab my Benelli M4.

My Silenced SBR AR-15 in Noveske Mod-0 chambering with a .22 conversion kit. Small and light enough to carry with enough reach and punch for hunting or firefight. Conversion kit is light and allows use of other ammo when found or if .22 is more called for in a certain situation.

Would likely be using .22 for most shooting since its light and should be easier to find while out scavenging. The 5.56 would be harder to carry alot of but would be very useful in some scenarios.

Aside from that, always have a backup, so i would also have a .22 pistol of some sort.

Probably my lever action .22. Highest mag capcity I own and ammo is light enough to carry a lot in a small space. Sub-sonics for stealth game hunting, will take down most game, and should it come to it, would be a sufficient deterrent to anyone who had ill intentions towards me and mine.

Bolt action 223/308.
Peep sights.
Proven design - Ruger Hawkeye, Winchester 70, Browning A-Bolt etc.

22lr would be the wise choice. But I would probably roll with a 308.

VEPR ak-47. Ammo everywhere, cheap and plentiful. Easier to find than .22 ammo around here, that's for sure!

Back