off topic.. shtf question..

My go-to long gun would be an accurate and reliable 22LR. Probably a lever gun.

Last edited:
Tough question. We bugging in or bugging out?

Bugging in I'd say my DSA FAL.in 7.62x51

Bugging out Id say my Arsenal SLR 106 FR in 5.56. AK reliability with AR accuracy.

If I had to pick one and the destination was unknown whether that be buggin in or out or survival hunting needs and defense? I'd pick my converted VEPR AK in 7.62x39. Enough for deer and big game and plenty for two legged creatures.

Tough question. I'd be dead before I decided what knives and guns to bring

I'm actually starting a lightweight ar15 build right now for our primary home and get-out-of-town rifle. We will be keeping the 22lr and other heavier caliber rifles at our house in the country

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

slingshot1.jpg

When in doubt...the old standby ;)

I agree with FB here. However Australia is a completely different proposition then you lucky buggers in the States where Carbines are so prevalent. The most common ammo you would be able to scavenge (and I'm guessing here) would be .22 or 9mm from Police issue Glocks...

Love AK's... Fantasy shooter... Integrally Suppressed one.

Lawrie

Without a doubt, the 22LR is my top choice for "survival" duties.
S&W makes a nice little AR style package called the M&P 15-22 which utilizes a 25 round magazine; also the venerable Ruger 10-22 is available. Sure, my Colt AR-15 and others will work, but without ammo they are useless other than clubs. And that is where the 22LR rules, I can carry 1,500 rounds if needed with relative ease, and combined with an optic they are deadly on all types of game, including headshots on deer and pigs, sitting birds, etc. Nothing else comes close to that kind of accuracy and firepower easily carried in a pack. Oh, and as a bonus the M&P 15-22 comes with a threaded barrel for suppressor.

The other great survival choice is my AK-47; nearly unstoppable survival weapon, slugs off dirt, sand, mud, extremely reliable and uses the powerful 762 x 39 round which I have in hollow points, soft points, etc. Only drawback is the weight. But it's a great SHTF rifle, mainly because of the standard 30 round magazines and knock-down power of the round.

I agree with FB here. However Australia is a completely different proposition then you lucky buggers in the States where Carbines are so prevalent. The most common ammo you would be able to scavenge (and I'm guessing here) would be .22 or 9mm from Police issue Glocks...

I think scavenging any ammo after a SHTF event would be a struggle in Australia. It's not like you can just duck into a deserted Walmart and grab a few boxes of your favourite calibre. Everything is behind bars or in a safe, whether it be in a firearms store, or private residence. Thus the .22 makes even more sense, as you can purchase it in bulk for minimal outlay and have a decent stockpile to hand should things go belly up.

Winchester Model 52B .22 caliber....I know it's old by todays standards however it is the most accurate rifle I have ever fired. This particular rifle has won me my share of competitions. Being .22 cal the ammo is not bulky so you can carry or horde plenty reasonably.

Where are you guys finding all this double deuce ammo?! Around here, it's the hardest chit to find. You'll find really oddball, wildcat stuff around here before you'll see any .22 ammo.

It's a damned crying shame too. I can't even take my son plinking because there's no ammo. :(

It started to get better before I left to PR. They had it just about every time I went to Cabelas. I even saw buckets of 2500 for sell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know what to tell you guys. It's dry here everywhere I look. I'm sitting on about 200 rounds for the next time we go shooting and that's all she wrote.

A couple of years ago I lined up at the counter at a Walmart at 7:00am to try to get some.

A couple of guys in front of me were wearing shirts branded with a local gun shop's logo. They bought all they could, and later that same day, I went to that same gun shop (to shoot) and saw the same A-holes taking the same ammo they had bought at Walmart out of the bricks, putting 50 rounds into a ziplock, and pricing the bags at $5 a pop, WHILE STANDING AT THE DAMN COUNTER. The bricks were 550 rounds for about 12 bucks. Y'all can do the math.

I didn't even say anything. But, then I knew what they were up to. Slimy bastards.

I'll never do business there again. I was a loyal customer for years. That was just over the top. I'll never use their range again either. I found another range in my area that doesn't charge "per gun, or per shooter, whichever is greater". **** those assclowns.

Last edited:
Try looking on gunbot to find deals on online ammo. And that is pretty slimy of them, you were right to find another range

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

Its only "dry" because when some people see it, they buy it all.

In SHTF. Youll be scavenging more than just stores. .22 is the most prevalent ammo manufactured.

That one weapon question has always killed me. I like 5 . A .22 ruger 10/22 takedown, a scar16 and 17, my benelli m4
And my glock 19. But i guess if i had to choose one, to move with my pack on it would be my scar16with aac m4 2000 suppressor w/ acog. Lightweight, carry a lotof widely available ammo accurate, easy takedown for cleaning and reliable with all ammo types

For SHTF your guns should be limited to engaging human threats. For hunting you should learn primitive techniques like sling shot, bow and arrow, spear, ect. Stuff that's more quite, doesn't draw attention, and can be replicated and sustained. That is, if there is anything to hunt that's healthy enough. my belief is within the first 6 mo most of the game animals will be depleted and then people will start fighting each other for food. That's when you'll need to be able to protect what you've got.

For SHTF your guns should be limited to engaging human threats. For hunting you should learn primitive techniques like sling shot, bow and arrow, spear, ect. Stuff that's more quite, doesn't draw attention, and can be replicated and sustained. That is, if there is anything to hunt that's healthy enough. my belief is within the first 6 mo most of the game animals will be depleted and then people will start fighting each other for food. That's when you'll need to be able to protect what you've got.

Why do you think that?

I should probably ask "what scenario are you following to come to this conclusion"?

The Big question is: For those with Massive Busse collections, how would you decide what to take with you, and what to leave behind for the zombies to chew on? I have a Henry lever action .22lr I would take with me and I spent many hours learning bushcraft, so would fashion bows and arrows and slingshots. Also my CZ 85 as a sidearm.

AntDog,

For myself, I live in a rural part of Texas, in the hill country, but this county alone has 30K people, and the ones bordering it do too. We're about 1.5 hr west of San Antonio - a few day's walk down I-10 or about the place a half tank of gas will run out. There are MILLIONS of people who will be leaving the cities. what I see is after the food stored and scavenging run out, people will turn to hunting, but with no food storage, each deer(and there are a ton) is going to go bad in a day. how many deer each day would you need to kill to feed 30K people? even if it were just the locals. Not to mention scenarios where there's disease or radiation or some other chemical affecting the animals.

I'm partly basing this off what I was told by an older East Texas man, that during the great depression deer were virtually wiped out in the forests due to sustenance hunting. And there's a lot more people now.

Being a former member us Uncle Sam's Misguided Children I spent my fighting career learning all the skills I need to survive. Started Hoarding 22cal ammo back in the 80's...My ex and children were given the instructions of buying me bricks of 22 ammo for birthdays and Christmas presents...Imagine my surprised look when I was opening those presents...SO now even with practicing and bunny hunting I'm down to maybe 25-30K rounds with what I would purchase when on sale and it was plentiful remember all those $5.00 bricks you should have stocked up...:eek:

Back