Oh, The Weather Outside Is Snarkful...

Status
Not open for further replies.
How does the X7 hold an edge? I saw a few reviews saying it was soft and chipped/rolled easily.

Seems to be hit/miss with those. Didn't Warrior just post one of his cabin threads where his Gerber axe chipped out? I still kinda like the estwing myself:

My Dad's old estwing I procured from him during my last visit. Home Hardware 25th anniversary special. Mask was rotted so I made a new one, and polished her up:

murph had a velvicut he liked a lot -- I have a plain jane council HB with 24" or 28" handle and I love it.

Seems to be hit/miss with those. Didn't Warrior just post one of his cabin threads where his Gerber axe chipped out? I still kinda like the estwing myself:

My Dad's old estwing I procured from him during my last visit. Home Hardware 25th anniversary special. Mask was rotted so I made a new one, and polished her up:

murph had a velvicut he liked a lot -- I have a plain jane council HB with 24" or 28" handle and I love it.

I'm thinking I'll probably end up with an Estwing. The leather handle is sexy. I like the look of the velvicut too but I'm not sure about an almost 3 pound head on an 18 inch handle.

3 pounds?
wow.
my HB has a 1.75 pound head.
I bet that 3# is total weight - according to council tool's velvicut page it's a 2# head.

3 pounds?
wow.
my HB has a 1.75 pound head.
I bet that 3# is total weight - according to council tool's velvicut page it's a 2# head.

Oh, I thought I had read somewhere that the head was somewhere around 2 and 3/4 pounds. Dangit now I'm considering it again.

seriously - instead of the velvicut, go with the plain model -- under $40 and you can strip the paint and polish it yourself.
use the other $100 towards a Bensinger scalpel or TM Hunt cleaver.

seriously - instead of the velvicut, go with the plain model -- under $40 and you can strip the paint and polish it yourself.

The main reason I was going for the velvicut was because I could get it for 29 bucks using my gift card and a sale. I'll check out the plain one though. :thumbup:

good point - I spaced off that part of your original post.
you should order a GB SFA from them with the 25% off coupon and GC -- yes, you'll wait 6-8 weeks for it to show up, but it will be worth it.

Didn't Warrior just post one of his cabin threads where his Gerber axe chipped out?

Yes, but take into consideration the wife was chopping old, seasoned, dead wood. I have one I've never used on anything besides live trees/branches, and it does just fine.

good point - I spaced off that part of your original post.
you should order a GB SFA from them with the 25% off coupon and GC -- yes, you'll wait 6-8 weeks for it to show up, but it will be worth it.

This one?

292011_0_41

It is purdy... I could get one for about 7 dollars more than an Estwing.

The Estwings are tough as nails, but heavy as hell for what they are(Maybe I should say FEEL heavy as hell, because they arent crazy heavy, but feel unwieldy for the size.) , and not particularly well balanced, at least for my taste. YMMV Love their hammers, but their hatchets not anywhere near as much.

Well, it's settled. I hadn't seen the Small Forest Axe that Vik was talking about, thought he meant the Outdoor Axe but I found what he was talking about a couple hours ago.

It's backordered until May, but I don't think I'll mind the wait when it gets here. :thumbup:

282041_0_41

Not too shabby for 27 dollars shipped. :D

Aaaand a Bear Butt hammock with hanging straps might be on it's way too. :D Long enough ratchet straps were 11 bucks a piece at the hardware store and the hanging straps were $22 so I figured why not. I was going to wait a while to get a hammock but the weather is supposed to be in the high 60's all of next week and it'll be a nice chance to get it figured out. Thanks for the suggestion Cbear!

^This.

Very wise advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back