Oh, The Weather Outside Is Snarkful...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate UPS so much. I had to check the tracking status on a package to find out they won't deliver it to my apartment for some reason. Doesn't say why or anything, it's just a tomahawk so I can't imagine what the problem is. And they didn't so much as email me to let me know or anything.

^This.

Very wise advice.

I'm probably going to get some sort of custom belt knife in the future. I'm not really sure what I want yet though. I'm thinking a 8-9 inch overall drop or clip point with a kydex sheath so I can run some cord through it and keep it horizontal next to my belt buckle.

I hate UPS so much. I had to check the tracking status on a package to find out they won't deliver it to my apartment for some reason. Doesn't say why or anything, it's just a tomahawk so I can't imagine what the problem is. And they didn't so much as email me to let me know or anything.

That sucks Hoss. What kind of hawk did you get?

1066vik

Gold Member
Well, it's settled. I hadn't seen the Small Forest Axe that Vik was talking about, thought he meant the Outdoor Axe but I found what he was talking about a couple hours ago.

It's backordered until May, but I don't think I'll mind the wait when it gets here. :thumbup:

Not too shabby for 27 dollars shipped. :D

that would be the one. nice score!

I'm probably going to get some sort of custom belt knife in the future. I'm not really sure what I want yet though. I'm thinking a 8-9 inch overall drop or clip point with a kydex sheath so I can run some cord through it and keep it horizontal next to my belt buckle.

hmmm...
you mean like a Yuma or Trailmate?

That sucks Hoss. What kind of hawk did you get?

I ordered a CRKT woods hawk and a Condor Indian Throwing hawk.

daizee

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
"UPS" is pronounced "Oops", I'm sure of it.

I had just about ground down my impulse control enough to order a H&B medium camp hawk, and then saw the delivery time was 6-12 weeks. Nope, it was definitely an instant gratification impulse.

that would be the one. nice score!

hmmm...
you mean like a Yuma or Trailmate?

I really like the Trailmate, but I can't find specs anywhere. What's the blade/handle length on those? I like the look of the Yuma and Magua but the Yuma seems a bit too big and the Magua looks about the same size as a BK14 and I want something a tad larger.

I ordered a CRKT woods hawk and a Condor Indian Throwing hawk.

Those CRKT hawks are really nice. Got dad one for Christmas a few years back and he loves it.

1066vik

Gold Member
magua is about 8", BK14 is about 7"
a little more blade length, a lot more pointy, and almost an extra finger's worth of handle.

attachment.php

"UPS" is pronounced "Oops", I'm sure of it.

I had just about ground down my impulse control enough to order a H&B medium camp hawk, and then saw the delivery time was 6-12 weeks. Nope, it was definitely an instant gratification impulse.

When I got my first H&B I went through a third party that had them in stock. I think if you order them directly from H&B they're made to order.

Those CRKT hawks are really nice. Got dad one for Christmas a few years back and he loves it.

I got one of the first ones with a hammer pole a few years ago and I didn't hate it except I thought it was a little too heavy. I ended up sending it back but they just released a model without a hammer pole so it's a lot lighter. I also got the equivalent model from Condor.

magua is about 8", BK14 is about 7"
a little more blade length, a lot more pointy, and almost an extra finger's worth of handle.

attachment.php

So a Trailmate would be right around 8.5 inches, right? Might have to check about one of them if my summer job plans work out.

When I got my first H&B I went through a third party that had them in stock. I think if you order them directly from H&B they're made to order.

I got one of the first ones with a hammer pole a few years ago and I didn't hate it except I thought it was a little too heavy. I ended up sending it back but they just released a model without a hammer pole so it's a lot lighter. I also got the equivalent model from Condor.

Oh cool, I didn't know they had made a new version. :thumbup:

daizee

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dammit, 'Hoss, you just spent another hour of my time!
Wallet is still safe, but only because Mr. Third Party is out of the model I want the most.

Bladite

ǝɹnsıǝן ɟo uɐɯǝןʇuǝb
if i could buy that Velvicut for $29? i would. american made, 5160. good stuff.

iirc, husqvarna's axes are made by hultafor bruks. good stuff. similar to wetterling. nothing is as polished as the gransfors bruks though. in similar order as well, the handle quality. course, you can always sand and oil yourself to taste.

a heavy head just means less effort with throwing the chips imho. will hit harder than pretty much any knife of size.

Bladite

ǝɹnsıǝן ɟo uɐɯǝןʇuǝb
for an exclusive car "axe/hatchet" i might go for the Husqvarna carpenter axe, iirc

BEEFY, and good stuff...

Noswad, the GB SFA is a great axe. I have had one for a while and I like it a lot. Good choice especially for the price. I got mine for under $7 because of gift cards. Yay for me.

UPS is lame. I deal with some of their drivers at work and usually they are a-holes. They don't like having to follow simple rules or policies and when they cross lines they don't like being banned from the property. Usually we have to kinda break their will in order to have an understanding.

We have been getting a lot of snow up here in Maine and I have been wearing my goretex USGI pants while working in the snow. I have been looking for the matching jacket at a good price. I found a place that sells a very lightly used set, both jacket and pants for $65. SOLD! They showed up yesterday and besides being a bit dusty, they are perfect.

Jeremy

NixKustoms

Sheath and Knife Maker
We signed papers for our house last night!! We get keys on Tuesday. I can't wait to get all moved in!!

Anyone longing for a 15? I've got one posted up for grabs. I'd rather it go to a Beckerhead here!

I'm always down for another 15.

Bladite

ǝɹnsıǝן ɟo uɐɯǝןʇuǝb
i just got a BMW M7 for $23 because i also had $123,000 in gift cards :D

just stoned surfaced my first trigger with one of those hones that Murph has been handing out.

Still a strong pull - it's like a 120 lb spring resisting the slide of a simple 90 degree trigger face

However, that face is compose of three hardened plates that weren't butter smooth or matched

They are now :D

Thanks Murph

gmoneyluv

Gold Member
Ok, just got back from walking Zack to the craft brewery. It is Feb 18 and the temp here is 16 °C (60 °F). This is crazy weather for this time year, but great temps for grilling. Looks like it's going to be steaks and red wine for dinner. And craft beer while I'm grilling!

Last edited:

NixKustoms

Sheath and Knife Maker
congrats and best of luck!

Congrats! Post some pics of the new place!

Thanks fellers!!! There will be a mass quantity of pictures when I get there.

I'll probably be needing an axe after I get there. Been needing one anyway, but I've been eyeballing the marbles hunter and camp axe. Won't be able to afford much more than those with the house payment now. Haha good trade off though. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Native XF ad, Below bottom BC