Oh, The Weather Outside Is Snarkful...

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmoneyluv

Gold Member
Thanks fellers!!! There will be a mass quantity of pictures when I get there.

I'll probably be needing an axe after I get there. Been needing one anyway, but I've been eyeballing the marbles hunter and camp axe. Won't be able to afford much more than those with the house payment now. Haha good trade off though. ;)

Reasonable comprimise! Again, congrats.

NixKustoms

Sheath and Knife Maker
for an exclusive car "axe/hatchet" i might go for the Husqvarna carpenter axe, iirc

BEEFY, and good stuff...

I've got an old Plumb half axe I'm fixing up. If I can get a good handle on it and make a fair edge cover I might end up making it my Jeep hatchet.

Noswad, the GB SFA is a great axe. I have had one for a while and I like it a lot. Good choice especially for the price. I got mine for under $7 because of gift cards. Yay for me.

UPS is lame. I deal with some of their drivers at work and usually they are a-holes. They don't like having to follow simple rules or policies and when they cross lines they don't like being banned from the property. Usually we have to kinda break their will in order to have an understanding.

We have been getting a lot of snow up here in Maine and I have been wearing my goretex USGI pants while working in the snow. I have been looking for the matching jacket at a good price. I found a place that sells a very lightly used set, both jacket and pants for $65. SOLD! They showed up yesterday and besides being a bit dusty, they are perfect.

Jeremy

Awesome! I just hope it arrives a lot sooner than it says it will lol.

UPS drivers are hit and miss. Our current one is a great guy and he's friendly almost to a fault.

We signed papers for our house last night!! We get keys on Tuesday. I can't wait to get all moved in!!

I'm always down for another 15.

Congrats Nix!

I'll bring the Slip 'n Slide if you'll bring your Twister game.
Nick's already got plenty of bacon and whiskey, so we should be good. :D

Don't bother packing any pants, ya'll.

twister-meme.jpg

Speaking of that Plumb Half Axe... I copied this from my post in the axes sub.

Here's what it looked like when I got it. (Sorry for the extremely crappy pic, it's the best I could do at the time and I forgot to take any better ones)

Sqp574e.jpg

Here it is now after a two day vinegar bath, a lot of sanding, and filing off the roughest pieces that were dinged out of place.

MbXw78s.jpg

gQqaFUM.jpg

The only problem is that I can't find a handle that seems right for it. It has such a small eye that a long hammer handle would fit, but it's tear drop shaped like most hatchet/axe eyes, so I can't find any handles that will work well.

Last edited:
Might try a lathing hatchet handle. Those have a tear drop shape to the eye.

The other thing is to measure the 2 dimensions of the eye and go to a handle sales site, such as House Handles, and see what's available. HH's site has silhouettes of the handle eye shape.

Another option is to get a handle close to but larger than the eye and start whittling. :D

Bladite

ǝɹnsıǝן ɟo uɐɯǝןʇuǝb
I've got an old Plumb half axe I'm fixing up. If I can get a good handle on it and make a fair edge cover I might end up making it my Jeep hatchet.

Awesome! I just hope it arrives a lot sooner than it says it will lol.

UPS drivers are hit and miss. Our current one is a great guy and he's friendly almost to a fault.

Congrats Nix!

twister-meme.jpg

Speaking of that Plumb Half Axe... I copied this from my post in the axes sub.

Here's what it looked like when I got it. (Sorry for the extremely crappy pic, it's the best I could do at the time and I forgot to take any better ones)

Sqp574e.jpg

Here it is now after a two day vinegar bath, a lot of sanding, and filing off the roughest pieces that were dinged out of place.

MbXw78s.jpg

gQqaFUM.jpg

The only problem is that I can't find a handle that seems right for it. It has such a small eye that a long hammer handle would fit, but it's tear drop shaped like most hatchet/axe eyes, so I can't find any handles that will work well.

might be worth your time to sell to a collector and buy something "complete" for that money :D

$50-75? :D

Holy cow, it's been a helluva week. So glad it's almost over. I won't go into much boring detail, but it seems like the postal workers threw a bullseye on my back and started throwing boulders for no reason. It was just topped off with a fill in Expeditor freaking out on me for going about my business like I usually do the 1 time a week I stop at this facility. I always get loaded and sent on my way before another truck that is there, but apparently the computer says different. I was almost loaded when she stopped the workers and made them load the other truck first. When I was ready to go she accused me of manipulating the workers to load me first. I tried explaining to her that I'm always loaded first and she kept going off on me. She sealed my truck and handed me my paperwork while still going on, so I just walked away from her and left.

Bladite

ǝɹnsıǝן ɟo uɐɯǝןʇuǝb
"she was never seen again, but that alligator looked happy"

any of you NERDS into 3D printing? we need to talk.

Might try a lathing hatchet handle. Those have a tear drop shape to the eye.

The other thing is to measure the 2 dimensions of the eye and go to a handle sales site, such as House Handles, and see what's available. HH's site has silhouettes of the handle eye shape.

Another option is to get a handle close to but larger than the eye and start whittling. :D

I'll check that out, thanks!

might be worth your time to sell to a collector and buy something "complete" for that money :D

$50-75? :D

It's worth that much? I thought it was basically worthless other than as a tool.

ralphtt

Gold Member
The bean store in the northeast has a 25% off sale going through 2/21. They offer several of the Gransfors Bruks hatchets and axes, mostly on backorder status to ship mid-May. Still, the GB small forest axe, priced at $130 is $97.50 after the discount. With free shipping for their credit card customers, this is tempting . . . ;)

The bean store in the northeast has a 25% off sale going through 2/21. They offer several of the Gransfors Bruks hatchets and axes, mostly on backorder status to ship mid-May. Still, the GB small forest axe, priced at $130 is $97.50 after the discount. With free shipping for their credit card customers, this is tempting . . . ;)

That place is a little over an hour's drive from here - and they are open 24/7/365 (seriously...no locks on the doors). I could be in there, handling axes at 3 in the morning....hmmm....

That place is a little over an hour's drive from here - and they are open 24/7/365 (seriously...no locks on the doors). I could be in there, handling axes at 3 in the morning....hmmm....

That is the best time to go. Less out of state yuppies in the way.

Jeremy

Status
Not open for further replies.