Okay....finally....some thoughts.

Now, to avoid completely hijacking dbla's thread, does anyone know if Darrel is aware of how many people are having issues? If he is, I'd be anxious to see how a re-done version of the Gunhammer turns out or how he plans to take action. (That is, if there really are that many people having problems. Could just be that I'm happening across so many by chance)
I'm not sure, but if people have been sending the knives in under warranty, I'm sure he has statistics on the frequency and nature of the warranty work being done.

In any event, I'll be talking to Darrel sometime in the next few days about a couple custom orders I have in with him, so if Hark doesn't ask him about it before then, I'll be sure to do so.

Haha alright, I'm glad someone did.

I'm not here to cause any trouble, nor do I wish to cause any trouble anywhere on BladeForums. I'm relatively new to this website actually, I've been reading for a while but just started posting recently. I've had a love for knives for as long as I can remember, but surrounded by people that just don't understand my passion! Until I found this place, and I'm really just here for friendly discussion and stimulating conversation with like-minded people.

FWIW, I didnt think you said anything out of line. I am also curious if there is anything going on, since the Gunny is my favorite knife, and these problems are certainly discouraging. I am suspicious about how the particular problems described herein could have been caused by HTM QC, but there could be plenty of alternate explanations. I hope these reports dont turn you off of HTM, as I have had nothing but positive experiences with the company.

Do stick around. I for one really like having more new people and activity in this subforum.

FWIW, I didnt think you said anything out of line. I am also curious if there is anything going on, since the Gunny is my favorite knife, and these problems are certainly discouraging. I am suspicious about how the particular problems described herein could have been caused by HTM QC, but there could be plenty of alternate explanations. I hope these reports dont turn you off of HTM, as I have had nothing but positive experiences with the company.

Do stick around. I for one really like having more new people and activity in this subforum.

It hasn't entirely turned me away, don't worry. It seems everyone has issues with Emersons fit and finish for instance, yet I still own and love some Emersons. Like I said before, I do like Darrel's work quite a bit. The only thing that slightly bothers me about the current HTM line-up, and this is purely personal preference, is that his knives are not very tip-up friendly. For whatever reason, I need all my knives clips to be tip-up oriented or at least give me the option. That's the only thing that has kept me from a Mad Maxx, and I know the Gunhammer has the option but tip-up on the GH puts the clip almost right in the middle of the handle. Other than that, I would love to own one of his knives. Maybe I can befriend Darrel someday and have him do a Mad Maxx with a tip up clip haha.

I apologize if I am coming off as a troll- some of my replys have been snarky. I also apologize if it seems like I am singling out DDR it is not my sole intention. .I've also posted on the spydie forum here and about bear and sons elsewhere. The threads i seem to single out and post in are about two common issues:
1. That X amount isn't that much and you shouldnt expect perfection
2. People get railroaded for saying negative things and posters make excuses on behalf of knife manufacturers.

But i agree after the nut fancy thread, reading this thread I couldn't resist the chance for an "I told you so" retort and that was childish an really added nothing to the conversation.

From here on out any, I will attemp to post devoid of snark and simply state facts.

I apologize if I am coming off as a troll- some of my replys have been snarky. I also apologize if it seems like I am singling out DDR it is not my sole intention. .I've also posted on the spydie forum here and about bear and sons elsewhere. The threads i seem to single out and post in are about two common issues:
2. People get railroaded for saying negative things and posters make excuses on behalf of knife manufacturers.

But i agree after the nut fancy thread, reading this thread I couldn't resist the chance for an "I told you so" retort and that was childish an really added nothing to the conversation.

From here on out any, I will attemp to post devoid of snark and simply state facts.

That helps and I appreciate you saying that. I think what was frustrating about it, is simply that my experience isn't typical from what everyone in this forum is saying. Perhaps it's bad timing with the Nutnfancy review out there, but there's nothing that can be done about that. At this point I don't know what I am going to do. I think most likely I'm going to send both back to knife center and weigh my options. Mostly because I don't want to be knife-less for the next couple weeks.

That helps and I appreciate you saying that. I think what was frustrating about it, is simply that my experience isn't typical from what everyone in this forum is saying. Perhaps it's bad timing with the Nutnfancy review out there, but there's nothing that can be done about that. At this point I don't know what I am going to do. I think most likely I'm going to send both back to knife center and weigh my options. Mostly because I don't want to be knife-less for the next couple weeks.

:thumbup:
That sounds like an honest course of action. Whatever ya do, put something in your pocket that makes you smile ;)

I would probably contact them, tell them my expectations (knife I ordered, SHARP, with no functional issues, and without me needing to pay extra on shipping because of their mistake and lack of attention), and ask them whether they think they can get me a good knife in a minimum of time, or else a refund and I will take my business elsewhere.

I would probably contact them, tell them my expectations (knife I ordered, SHARP, with no functional issues, and without me needing to pay extra on shipping because of their mistake and lack of attention), and ask them whether they think they can get me a good knife in a minimum of time, or else a refund and I will take my business elsewhere.

I think that sounds about right. I imagine they have a slew of Gunhammers. Ask their supervisor to inspect yours personally.

I would, after this much trouble, be inclined to ask for a picture of someone shaving their arm hair with it.

I also feel you about being angry about giving up your knives for a few weeks. I know the feeling. What I do is go back to one of my first decent knives. Often times my Benchmade Mini Grip. I sharpen her up real nice, clean it well, and EDC it until my new knife comes back.

Dbla, what other knives you got?

Hah, a mess of spydercos, an Emerson, etc etc... My Benchmade Stryker is off being Lifesharpened... However my new CRK Umnunzaan comes tomorrow sometime. I actually have returned both GH's to Knife Center, they did not have another in the config I wanted, and in the end it was too much hassle. I have no doubt that DDR would have hooked me up, but I'd rather just move on. Maybe again soon I'll get a GH, but for now I'll just carry my Bark River PSK in a pocket sheath.

Oooh. Speaking of arm hair shaving sharp, my personal Gunhammers always came with a couple hair fibers on the actual blade.

Hi,
After reading all this, I went over to the Knife Center site to see if there were any reviews of the new M390 Gunhammer, the only one I found stated as a "con" he was unhappy with the sharpness out of the box.
I would suggest that there may be something for their folks to look into. Any company can run into issues. Nipping negative trends has always got to be guarded against.
Regards...

I have my suspicions that I'll bring up with Darrel. I never noticed the un-sharpness myself since the first thing I do with any blade is reprofile it.

My theory is this. The blade stock thickness was increased around the same time as the pivot screws and body screws. However, I believe the grind lines to have stayed the same. The old blade thickness was .121 at the spine. The current Gunhammers are all .149. If you increase the thickness while keeping the grind lines identical, the thicker blade stock results in the primary bevels being a lot more obtuse. If you increase stock thickness, the primary grinds need to go up, the edge bevels need to become thinner and more acute, or both. I'll bring this up next time I talk to Darrel. Just been really busy as of late with real life matters of my own.

I have my suspicions that I'll bring up with Darrel. I never noticed the un-sharpness myself since the first thing I do with any blade is reprofile it.

My theory is this. The blade stock thickness was increased around the same time as the pivot screws and body screws. However, I believe the grind lines to have stayed the same. The old blade thickness was .121 at the spine. The current Gunhammers are all .149. If you increase the thickness while keeping the grind lines identical, the thicker blade stock results in the primary bevels being a lot more obtuse. If you increase stock thickness, the primary grinds need to go up, the edge bevels need to become thinner and more acute, or both. I'll bring this up next time I talk to Darrel. Just been really busy as of late with real life matters of my own.
Hark,
Well stated. Thanks for looking into this. Anyone with a business background knows that keeping a eye on issues and trends is a ongoing, constant job. Darrel can't be everywhere at once and must rely on key people to help keep things on course.
Best..

Although... these clearly aren't the newest ones, because they're S30V, and Darrel switched to S35VN a while back, didn't he?

That's good to hear. I think we still differ a bit on points (1) and (2) -- mainly stemming from disagreement over reasonableness of expecting each and every item that leaves a factory/workshop/etc. to be perfect (whether it's a knife, a computer, a gun, or whatever else). But that's something people can respectfully disagree on, and we certainly do agree on the more important and practical point that manufacturers should always strive to improve their products and deliver the very best product they can. The lock play issue, especially, is something that's starting to worry me as more people have chimed in mentioning they've had the same issue. (I haven't had any issues with the three HTM Gunhammers I've owned, but those were from an older generation of HTM GHs and may not reflect what's happening with the more recently manufactured ones.) Obviously, something like lock play can and should be fixed at a manufacturing and QC level, and I'm sure Darrel will do so.

Like Hark, I rebevel and sharpen the knives I buy that I'm planning on carrying/using, so out-of-the-box sharpness doesn't really matter to me. But if HTM can bring their factory sharpness up to the level of Spyderco, Cold Steel, etc., I'm certainly not going to complain, and I know a lot of folks would really like it.

Oooh. Speaking of arm hair shaving sharp, my personal Gunhammers always came with a couple hair fibers on the actual blade.
You don't want to know where on Darrel's body those hairs are from... :eek:

Although... these clearly aren't the newest ones, because they're S30V, and Darrel switched to S35VN a while back, didn't he?
Might be, might not be. No way to tell unless the blade is marked, something that Darrel hasn't really done much of in the past.

Back