Olamic Wayfarer 247 first impressions (being returned)

I’d like to start this post off by saying that it’s not my intention to harm the reputation of Olamic. I’ve heard there are wonderful people that work there and they have great customer service. That being said, I recently purchased an Olamic Wayfarer 247 with frosted handles, anodized titanium hardware, and a satin tanto blade. I lost my crk inkosi and was looking to scratch the same titanium framelock itch with something else (thought it was gone forever but found it in a drawer in my house 2 days ago LOL).

Upon receiving the wayfarer, I immediately could tell it was not on par with the Reeve (or my $200 spyderco dice for that matter). There were extremely sharp unfinished corners on the edges of the lock bar cutout and the inside of the flipper tab. The machining for both were inconsistent and poorly done. Along with that there was a large burr on the inside of the hole at the end of the lock bar cutout. Just looked sloppy and uncomfortable to grip. It’s my understanding that the machining and water jetting of the handles and blade aren’t done in house which likely explains the poor quality, but regardless not impressive for a $430 knife. The deployment was pretty good due to a strong detent but the closing was pretty rough and inconsistent. I don’t mind knives not “dropping shut” I prefer it actually but this was just inconsistent and rough. I understand that Olamic has an excellent reputation for customer service but I don’t think there’s much warranty work that can be done for all-around poor machining quality. In addition, the pocket clip, while beautiful, is so shallow that it wouldn’t slide more of a quarter of an inch into my pocket. I Didn’t take any pictures unfortunately. Because of this I’m returning the knife.

On the positive side the blade other than the poor machining on the flipper tab cutout was nicely finished, shaped, and ground. It Appeared to be very sharp too. The frosted look on the titanium was fairly well done and the anodizing (don’t remember the exact name of the finish) on the clip, backspacer, and hardware was simply beautiful. No issues with lockup either and no blade play. I don’t believe any of these issues apply to the full custom Olamics as they’re fully made in house but I don’t find that kind of quality acceptable on a $400+ knife. The knife was made in 2020 according to the card that came with it so hopefully they have fixed these issues with the machinists they contract in the past few years but I can only go off my experience. Pretty looking knife but poor execution.

Last edited:
I'm sorry to hear that you got a lemon!

I own three 247s, an original Wayfarer (not 247) and a Rainmaker. Mine don't have 'sharp unfinished corners'; machining that is poor or inconsistent; 'sloppiness'; nor 'rough and inconsistent closing'. I like the grip on my 247s.

I'm sure that virtually all makers and manufacturers have knives that make it out the door that are not consistent with their standards. The more expensive a knife is, the most concerning that is.

Again, I'm sorry you got one like that, but all five of mine are very well made and I'm a very satisfied Olamic Cutlery customer. I own more Benchmades, Bucks, GECs, Kizers, Lionsteels, Spydercos (16), We and Zero Tolerance than I do Olamics - lest you think that I am posting as an Olamic fanboy.

I'm sorry to hear that you got a lemon!

I own three 247s, an original Wayfarer (not 247) and a Rainmaker. Mine don't have 'sharp unfinished corners'; machining that is poor or inconsistent; 'sloppiness'; nor 'rough and inconsistent closing'. I like the grip on my 247s.

I'm sure that virtually all makers and manufacturers have knives that make it out the door that are not consistent with their standards. The more expensive a knife is, the most concerning that is.

Again, I'm sorry you got one like that, but all five of mine are very well made and I'm a very satisfied Olamic Cutlery customer. I own more Benchmades, Bucks, GECs, Kizers, Lionsteels, Spydercos (16), We and Zero Tolerance than I do Olamics - lest you think that I am posting as an Olamic fanboy.
No not at all I’m glad to hear that you’re happy with yours. Again, I wish I had taken pictures to show what I mean but the knife just had no finishing along the lockbar cutout with really sharp edges as well as strangely uneven cutting where the lockbar turns into the lock face if you know what I mean. Similar issues on the skeletonized flipper tab. Not sure if these cuts were made on a mill or done by water jet but it looks to me like the latter and then no chamfers or any kind of deburring was done after the fact. Maybe they were having issues in 2020 as the knife I bought was obviously older stock but I’m suprised to see maching like that on such an expensive and generally well received knife.

I don’t want to insult a knife that people clearly love but I figured I’d post about it since that’s just what my impressions are and it just seems strange coming from a company that hand fits their knives for something like that to be tolerated. Not writing off olamic as a whole though.

Last edited:
Olamic does have a process for sending your knife in for repairs. Why not give that a try first? You can always sell the knife later: if you're still not satisfied.
Who knows? I might even want to buy it...
Good luck!

Last edited:
No experience with the Wayfarer, but my Busker is easily among the highest quality built folders in my collection. It’s a bummer you got a lemon, but I have little doubt Olamic will take care of you. Their customer service is superb!

I only own 2 Olamics.

A Wayfarer 247 and a Rainmaker which are 2 of the best made & finished knives in my collection of over 360.

glIfoyo.jpg

I've thought about selling the 247, not because there's anything "wrong" w/it but because it's smaller than I like.

However, the 4" Rainmaker is definitely a keeper! :)

Last edited:
Glad to hear everyone is happy with theirs. Maybe I’ll give Olamic another try, but now that my inkosi is back i don’t know if I need another $400+ knife right now 😂. The microtechs and the crk serve me just fine at work. Has anyone else noticed the sharp edges around the lockbar and inside the flipper tab? Also I didn’t mention but after flipping the 247 a couple dozen times it started making a creaking noise on the open and shut. Maybe a lack of lubrication or some titanium shavings from the machining got in the action. I dont know.

Glad to hear everyone is happy with theirs. Maybe I’ll give Olamic another try, but now that my inkosi is back i don’t know if I need another $400+ knife right now 😂. The microtechs and the crk serve me just fine at work. Has anyone else noticed the sharp edges around the lockbar and inside the flipper tab? Also I didn’t mention but after flipping the 247 a couple dozen times it started making a creaking noise on the open and shut. Maybe a lack of lubrication or some titanium shavings from the machining got in the action. I dont know.

I've not had any of the problems that you mention about your 247.

Given all the "issues" you've had, I think it would be better if you sent it to Olamic for a "spa treatment" in order to try make it "better" and, if they do, you may decide to keep it or, at least, you can tell potential buyers that (hopefully) all of the issues have been fixed.

Last edited:
My Wayfarer 247 is a nice knife but it definitely has some sharp edges along the lock bar cut-out. The corners at the top of the lock bar are sharp too. I contacted them. They said that is just how they are. However, they did offer to take down those edges for me. I just haven't sent it in yet. I've been thinking about selling it and I don't know if I want to go through the hassle.

As far as smoothness, the internals on mine look good. However, it did ship with a little more grime than the average WE or Civivi. For instance, wiping the inside scale surface with a dry patch comes up with visible residue. This isn't a big deal to me though I'd prefer if that was not the case. C CRAIGSLISTMAN68 , did you disassemble the knife for cleaning and lubrication? That could make a difference on the roughness you are feeling.

BTW, Olamic uses a detent ramp. Some people appreciate this feature but it can get in the way of a knife being "drop shut". For instance, if you are used to the closing method in which you depress the lock bar, drop the blade a little, and then move your finger to drop it the rest of the way; the blade can end up rebounding from the ramp instead.

C CRAIGSLISTMAN68 Do not take this advice if you plan on returning the knife. It is unethical to take apart a knife and then return it. Knife should be NIB for a return. Sending in for warranty would be different.
I haven’t disassembled it for this exact reason. Haven’t even used it to cut anything. All I’ve done is flipped it several dozen times and fondled it.

I haven’t disassembled it for this exact reason. Haven’t even used it to cut anything. All I’ve done is flipped it several dozen times and fondled it.
Bud, I would return this to the dealer.

Having to "warranty" a brand new knife, no matter how great the company, shouldn't be your first recourse. You deserve to be happy with your purchase, and returning it will be a relief for you, I think.

Bud, I would return this to the dealer.

Having to "warranty" a brand new knife, no matter how great the company, shouldn't be your first recourse. You deserve to be happy with your purchase, and returning it will be a relief for you, I think.

Not clear where the OP bought it.

it obviously would be easier to just return it if he bought it from a dealer but I don't he did because 247's are going for around $545-595 at retail and hecalled it a "$430 knife" which isa price you can only get on the 2ndary mkt.

Last edited:
Back