"Old Knives"

Another great Mastercraft -hey it has patina, but what I can see is a amazing quality Knife
VVyitKE.jpg

Bhp99v3.jpg

Got a couple of knives in today that have some tang stamps I've never seen... I know of two other Challenge stamps but not this one. And I have never seen Schrade Cutlery Co with "cutlery" spelled out either. This stamp is even more interesting because I can make out "Germany" underneath it. Normally that would be a red flag but it is on a scissor blade which may be a part they imported. This is an old MOP gentleman's knife I identified in the 1926 Schrade catalog. I'll post pics of the full knives this weekend.

CHALLENGE STAMP.JPG

SCHRADE.JPG

Got a couple of knives in today that have some tang stamps I've never seen... I know of two other Challenge stamps but not this one. And I have never seen Schrade Cutlery Co with "cutlery" spelled out either. This stamp is even more interesting because I can make out "Germany" underneath it. Normally that would be a red flag but it is on a scissor blade which may be a part they imported. This is an old MOP gentleman's knife I identified in the 1926 Schrade catalog. I'll post pics of the full knives this weekend.

View attachment 1521059

View attachment 1521060
The Challenge was cut with a rotary tool like a dremel.

And here's the Challenge... I did find some more pics online of a similar knife with the same stamp, those thumbnails are attached as well. I got it for $77 for more out of curiousity so if it is fake, it certainly didn't break the bank LoL.;)

CHALLTICK1.JPG CHALLTICK2.JPG CHALLTICK3.JPG

Attachments

• 1559456710_43_1.jpg
    1559456710_43_1.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 1559456710_43_4.jpg
    1559456710_43_4.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 1559456710_43_6.jpg
    1559456710_43_6.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 6
Three very nice campers knives, Duncan.:thumbsup: Was the last Mastercraft also made by Robeson?
Lovely old Electric, North Shore.:thumbsup:
Kevin, looking forward to pics of the full knives.

Thanks Rob matey
Yes it is also a Robeson Built Knife my friend, so too is this one here, SCOUT on the Shield this time - but still sports everything nice- another very well built Knife by Robeson..
LshHjw1.jpg

Hi Kev
I didnt think there was anything too strange about that Tang Stamp on your Challenge, I think the Font looks good, I have had my scouts out to go over them and do an Oil and Wax etc, so was able to quickly check, here is a Very nice old Challenge Scout with gorgeous Blade Etch - real neat old school and perfectly executed Engraving on one of the Bolsters - the Owners details V.H STEVENS, PRINCETON, NJ
This Challenge has the exact tang stamp as your Knife Kev.

tOlHEa7.jpg

IcJHfak.jpg

Thanks Charlie- Yeah...I really like that old Challenge - it's had use but it is still on the high percentages of Full Bladed, I wonder if the Knife was a presentation to V.H Stevens ? I think the Acid Etching is kinda cool as well - and ANYTHING goes with that Bone doesn't it!

Last edited:
I haven't had any new to me old knives to contribute lately (I always enjoy the contributions here), but I did pick up some NYK Co. paper recently. One is from 1889 and has Thomas W. Bradley as president. There's some handwriting on the back that includes the Aug. 29 date. The invoice is from 1882 and it also has the amount, date issued and date paid handwritten on the back. (Wow, cursive writing so beautiful and yet my kids can't read it.)

Last is a 1912 letter from NYK Co. to Biddle Hardware that was signed by C.B. Fuller, who was treasurer at same time that his brother, J.E. Fuller, was president. I also just got a NYK Co. catalog as well, which I'll post some scans of over the weekend.
djvtW2P.jpg

L2m1o7S.jpg

NSLaOo2.jpg

I haven't had any new to me old knives to contribute lately (I always enjoy the contributions here), but I did pick up some NYK Co. paper recently. One is from 1889 and has Thomas W. Bradley as president. There's some handwriting on the back that includes the Aug. 29 date. The invoice is from 1882 and it also has the amount, date issued and date paid handwritten on the back. (Wow, cursive writing so beautiful and yet my kids can't read it.)

Last is a 1912 letter from NYK Co. to Biddle Hardware that was signed by C.B. Fuller, who was treasurer at same time that his brother, J.E. Fuller, was president. I also just got a NYK Co. catalog as well, which I'll post some scans of over the weekend.
djvtW2P.jpg

L2m1o7S.jpg

NSLaOo2.jpg
Awesome Mike! :thumbsup: Mr Bradley was a busy man in 1882 being chairman for the American Pocket Cutlery Association along with William Rockwell from Miller Bros and FH Catlin from Northfield Knife Co. I found this excerpt from 1882 Congressional Records, which really brings us back to how the American cutlers were feeling at the time and brings some insight to how even at that time, they were working on machinery to make the cost of knifemaking more competitive with German made knives. The Congressional Record is the same date as your paperwork! August 14, 1882 :eek:

Bradley1.JPG Bradley2.JPG Bradley3.JPG Bradley4.JPG Bradley5.JPG Bradley6.JPG Bradley7.JPG

Last edited:
Back