"Old Knives"

I just lurve the old KA-BAR knives and that one there with it’s sheath is a dream North Shore:thumbsup::thumbsup:
…just look at that handle !!

Here is one you don't see all that often, an Electric Cut Co Newark NJ 3 1/2" split spring congress whittler in MOP. Still tight and snappy, been cleaned but at least the edges are not rounded, MOP is not cracked but has yellowed some, not surprising since its around 120 years old. Hard to capture just how nice the pearl is.

IMG_4159.jpegIMG_4161.jpegIMG_4163.jpegIMG_4165.jpegIMG_4167.jpeg

Alas not in my possession but I wanted to share the picture of it anyway, renowned artist Anders Zorn’s morakniv design. Apparently around 10 were made and this one remains property of Morakniv. Picture from Morakniv, where you can read more about it.

9-D3-A31-F3-C8-FC-4-CB2-ACC2-473-A628-EDCCC.webp

Hi all. Have a question for you old knife gurus. With summer here I’m in the garden a lot, and have been pruning quite a bit. I have clippers I like but I’m into older things and thought it would be cool to get a pruner to use. A kind forum member offered me one of his lick creek knives but I didn’t take it…I think he might need it as a spare ;) and it was micarta and I am thinking wood is the way to go for a pruner. Traditional route! Anyhow so I have been hunting the big auction site and found a couple I like and am wondering if anyone knows much about them, and what kind of wood they might be? My guess is ebony but am unsure. I will probably ask the seller(s) to see if they know but thought I might check here first.C6164637-BBAF-40FF-9BD9-0F8F1A51299A.jpeg Here are a couple of pics of what I’m looking at. One is larger than the other but has a capped end. Kinda neat. One is a Remington and one a New York knife co. Anyhow here are the pics of what I’m on the fence with to choose between to try and chase…A7EE6D56-D517-4C67-8091-7BEC57189A8E.jpegthanks folks.

Hi all. Have a question for you old knife gurus. With summer here I’m in the garden a lot, and have been pruning quite a bit. I have clippers I like but I’m into older things and thought it would be cool to get a pruner to use. A kind forum member offered me one of his lick creek knives but I didn’t take it…I think he might need it as a spare ;) and it was micarta and I am thinking wood is the way to go for a pruner. Traditional route! Anyhow so I have been hunting the big auction site and found a couple I like and am wondering if anyone knows much about them, and what kind of wood they might be? My guess is ebony but am unsure. I will probably ask the seller(s) to see if they know but thought I might check here first.View attachment 1609600 Here are a couple of pics of what I’m looking at. One is larger than the other but has a capped end. Kinda neat. One is a Remington and one a New York knife co. Anyhow here are the pics of what I’m on the fence with to choose between to try and chase…View attachment 1609601thanks folks.

My guess would be cocobolo on both of them. That was the most common wood for pruners back then. NYK termed it redwood but it was most likely cocobolo or rosewood. It can get quite dark with age and use resulting in a lot of folks mistaking it for ebony.

Cool to see you're staying traditional!!

Eric

My guess would be cocobolo on both of them. That was the most common wood for pruners back then. NYK termed it redwood but it was most likely cocobolo or rosewood. It can get quite dark with age and use resulting in a lot of folks mistaking it for ebony.

Cool to see you're staying traditional!!

Eric
I wondered about the wood thanks a lot. One of the images had some indentations close up and I could see a reddish tint. Much obliged

Beautiful Remington, Augie.:thumbsup: In my opinion, Remington bone is some of the nicest that was made. Something about the jigging and colour combination that I really like. Of course I like all old bone. Also two very lovely congress whittlers, I really like them both. And as always, your pictures are great, I believe you captured the pearl in the Electric Cut Co very nicely.
Great old KA-BAR, North Shore. :thumbsup: Love the upswept blade.
That is a nice one, baxtrom, thanks for the link.:thumbsup:
I don't think you could go wrong with either of those, huntnfishin.

I have clippers I like but I’m into older things and thought it would be cool to get a pruner to use!
I too, feel the allure of an older knife for the job!! Clippers work great, but a pruner is a great adjunct, and fits in your pocket.
I have a fat ceramic rod for touching up curved blades!!

Back