"Old Knives"

I totally agree with Gus and Jeff Augie matey, thats a good pack of Knives to arrive!, That Ulster is a extremely nice looking knife! Absolutely Love Cocobolo!!

That SS Schrade is awesome- man.... aren't Knives from this era outstanding in every way! No wonder we are hooked! The Peach Seed never fails to impress, but the Swage work on both the Ulster and the Schrade is very crisp and a pleasure to view!

Both those Doglegs obviously the same manufacture- and what a pair! Stunning Duo my friend! extremely nice!

Rob, Duncan, Jeff, thank you all very much, appreciate the comments.

This sweet little 3" MOP dogleg showed up today. I can find no information on the maker, Wm Bartlett & Sons, Goins has a Wm Bartlett with dates 1880 to 1910 but there is zero information out there. I suspect Sheffield but not marked with any country. Other than the cracked front cover its in decent shape for its age, still tight with very good snap.

IMG_3988.jpegIMG_3990.jpegIMG_3991.jpegIMG_3994.jpeg

Wonder would the Bartlett be anything to do Hibbard Spencer Bartlett & Co out of Chicago?

Either way, another stunner for your collection of stunners! :)

It's old and it's a knife! Love the trademark!
I'm carrying and using this with gusto the last while and rather enjoying it. It appears to have had a lifetime of use before my stewardship.
It needed edging, points, play removed, kicks adjusted, blades recentering etc. Looks like something a pirate would use to sharpen his pencil, sorry quill!
Jack Black recently had some postings on Lockwood and these extended rats tail bolsters, must try to find it.

Wonder would the Bartlett be anything to do Hibbard Spencer Bartlett & Co out of Chicago?

Either way, another stunner for your collection of stunners! :)

It's old and it's a knife! Love the trademark!
I'm carrying and using this with gusto the last while and rather enjoying it. It appears to have had a lifetime of use before my stewardship.
It needed edging, points, play removed, kicks adjusted, blades recentering etc. Looks like something a pirate would use to sharpen his pencil, sorry quill!
Jack Black recently had some postings on Lockwood and these extended rats tail bolsters, must try to find it.

Thank you, first thing I thought was maybe a relation to HS&B but I don't think so, Hibbard Spencer & Bartlett was originally Hibbard Spencer and in the 1880's they made Spencer a partner changing the name to Hibbard Spencer & Bartlett, Spencer had been a long time employee. There have been a few knife brands that were named for employees so I guess it's possible but I think if it was the HS&B Bartlett we would have come across a lot more examples, this is the first of the tang stamp I've ever seen.

Nice Pampa knife.

Very knice knife ed_ :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Those long rat-tails and scales just rock,
Pirates’ treasure for sure this Pampa!!

Very interesting this Wm Bartlett & Sons Co.
Sleuthing this mystery will be fun !

Excellent NYK North Shore :thumbsup: :thumbsup: they certainly knew how to do pick bone! None of my NYK pick bone knives have a hammer brand stamp on the blades. I hate to assume anything but is it possible that their pick bone was pre hammer brand ? If anyone has a pick bone NYK with a hammer brand stamp please share a picture.

That’s a very nice one. In very nice condition too North Shore! Hardly much use 😊👍
I like the little things like that wee Stovepipe Kick on the Pen.

NS, very beautiful and well preserved pick bone antique folders :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Excellent NYK North Shore :thumbsup: :thumbsup: they certainly knew how to do pick bone! None of my NYK pick bone knives have a hammer brand stamp on the blades. I hate to assume anything but is it possible that their pick bone was pre hammer brand ? If anyone has a pick bone NYK with a hammer brand stamp please share a picture.
Rob, here are two NYK company pick bone folders—at least I think of them as pick bone. So, I went through my NYK pick bone examples and found these two. the large lock back has the HB logo on the mark side tang and NYK Co. Walden on the pile side tang. The small Wharncliffe whittler has NYK Co. Walden on the primary blade mark side tang and the HB logo on the pile side secondary pen blade. Is this what you are talking about?

Back