"Old Knives"

View attachment 837156 View attachment 837155 Have not had the time to really sit and enjoy this section of BF. Finally had a leisurely hour to play on this site and just wanted to share what I'm sure a lot of my fellow knifeaholics feel and that it is such an enjoyable experience to get on here and see all the beautiful old knives and learning some new history and facts. And after missing it for a couple of days it is just extra enjoyable to immerse yourself in all of the antique knives and newly shared research. I have learned so much from everyone here and thank all the great contributors to this thread. This is my favorite section of BF. I was in my favorite knife store the other day and ran across this 1940 to 1964 6202-1/2 and had to have it. It is just on this side of being mint. Great walk and talk. The perfect pull for me on both blades. It's going to have to go in the pocket. I know it's not that old but I felt like it would fit in well here. Thanks again everyone.

Very nice looking older Case and fits into this thread just fine.

Plus one of what lostball said just wish I had a older case to show also lol. My old knife is a buck two dot 110 that I got from my dad when I was a kid in the 70's and a old schrade 1940T from the 80's.

While Goins, Levines, and other cutlery resource books provide some great information, they aren't always correct. In the case of the A. W. Bradshaw history, Levine's book is actually closer with a time frame for Bradshaw of circa 1900. Adolph Kastor registered the XLNT trademark in 1905, but he wasn't even alive when that trademark was originally used by John Wragg & Sons of Sheffield, England in the mid 1800s. This is important because the Kastor XLNT mark can be tied to A. W. Bradshaw Germany. The "Germany" stamp alone nearly cements the knife as an American import from 1891 onward. As companies went out of business during the 1800s and early 1900s, it was common practice for other cutlery companies to acquire defunct names or trademarks, and Kastor did this with the XLNT trademark. Also, There is no listing for any A. W. Bradshaw in Germany in the 19th century. A. W. Bradshaw was simply one of many names that Kastor used in the early 20th century. Other "A. W. Bradshaw Germany" knives are known from the early 1900s which have twin models with different Kastor blade stamps. The Bradshaw "Winner" is still a fine old knife and over 100 years old, just not 150 years old. :)
Much appreciated herder :), knowledge is power! I did see some Kastor info that had the same years (~1860) but they may have just relied on Goins as a reference. I'm going to pick up some more reference material, what does everyone recommend as "must have" pocket knife literature? Bernie's book for sure what about Voyles, Shackleford, etc?
- Kevin

View attachment 837156 View attachment 837155 Have not had the time to really sit and enjoy this section of BF. Finally had a leisurely hour to play on this site and just wanted to share what I'm sure a lot of my fellow knifeaholics feel and that it is such an enjoyable experience to get on here and see all the beautiful old knives and learning some new history and facts. And after missing it for a couple of days it is just extra enjoyable to immerse yourself in all of the antique knives and newly shared research. I have learned so much from everyone here and thank all the great contributors to this thread. This is my favorite section of BF. I was in my favorite knife store the other day and ran across this 1940 to 1964 6202-1/2 and had to have it. It is just on this side of being mint. Great walk and talk. The perfect pull for me on both blades. It's going to have to go in the pocket. I know it's not that old but I felt like it would fit in well here. Thanks again everyone.
Hear hear LB! :thumbsup: For a person who used to spend most of my free time hitting the bottle, this forum is my new addiction as I gave up my old ways over 4 years ago :) So your term "knifeaholic" is very appropriate for my case :D It's a much more useful and healthy way to spend my time :thumbsup:
- Kevin

Sticking with the Case XX theme... I got this 62009-1/2 last week :) My wife has bought me a few of the newer collector Case knives which are nice, but not old :rolleyes: So this is the first one I have bought for myself, it was a no-brainer when I saw it. The pen blade has half stop and snaps like new but the clip is just the opposite, no wobble at least :thumbsup: It is a great looker :cool:

CASEB-1A.JPG CASEB-1B.JPG

- V_P

Lost ball - what a striking 60’s Jack that is. Everything about that Knife is just great, I love the colour of the Bone and that wonderful work that Case did with their Bone - in the way of Jigg work.

V- P nice Red Bone as well in your Barlow, Case when they were good we’re brilliant weren’t they!
Case seemed to make many clip point Red Bones in this era- but it seems as if they made much fewer Spear Points.

Charlie- exemplary examples! Surely the Top Case with the Can Opener has to be an elusive pattern? haven’t seen many of those - let alone in that condition!

I can see why that Barlow would be one of your favourite Cases! Wow!

I never realized how wide and square these old rope knives were until I finally found a full-bladed one! W.R.Case and Sons, for WWI. The last picture shows a Robeson Suredge, almost as full.View attachment 837759 View attachment 837760 View attachment 837761 View attachment 837762
Wow, great show Charlie! :cool::thumbsup: I've yet to land any rope knives in my collection but they are on the radar... I haven't seen many with bone handles though, mostly woodies. Very nice knives kind sir :)

- Kevin

Nice Case knives Lostball, Kevin and Charlie :thumbsup: :thumbsup:… I don’t have any Case knives to show as I have not chased them at all but do appreciate their quality and history!!

Charlie – great looking rope knives from Robeson and Case with early stamps !! I’ll use that lead for another rope knife pattern which was a very generous gift from a friend who may be a member here as well (espn77) :) … My first New England Whaler - and every New Englander needs a New England Whaler knife LOL…

Humason & Beckley Mfg Co - New England Whaler – (better known as H&B existed from1852-1916 in New Britain CT)… The New England Whaler was a smaller curved jack and was developed for cutting harpoon ropes for the old whaling industry. This 2 blade NE Whaler with a horn handle is 3 & 1/2" closed.

9pzzKCx.jpg

p8XGxX3.jpg

kDvhpD6.jpg

XeCke8W.jpg

Px65uNT.jpg

While I am showing a H&B knife here is a unique piece of ephemera to go with it – This is an interesting original bank check (front and back) from the H&B Mfg Co New Britain written in 1870, and notably signed by the treasurer at the time Virgil P. Humason who became treasurer of H&B in 1866 and who later after his father's death took over the company (his father William L. Humason started the company). And yes that is V.P. Humason’s original signature on the check – pretty cool autograph to have LOLOL :D .. Anyway I spent some time a few years ago trying to figure out for what the check was written and who were the names on the check. A.P. Collins (to whom the check was written) was a lawyer in New Britain CT and was heavily involved as well in New Britain politics. Following incorporation of New Britain CT as a city in 1870 A.P. Collins was voted in as part of City Council and was Treasurer in 1871 when the first Mayor was elected - Frederick T Stanley (yes the same person that started Stanley Tools). Anyway I am speculating the check was written for insurance given I found A.P. Collins was involved in a few of those types of transactions but this is no way a definite. Note $40.56 in 1870 is worth $730 today so it was not a small amount of cash. The check was endorsed on the back by a few folks in NYC – not sure why but maybe related to how the banking system worked in the 1800s. My research came to a dead end though in terms of figuring out who GF Seaz (or Leaz – I have trouble sometimes interpreting old handwriting style) was on bottom left from Orville OH in Wayne County. Perhaps that last detail was the key to knowing more about the check as I think he was the final recipient of the money. Anyway I wanted to share this while I had H&B on the mind ;)...

FFiNNxU.jpg

p7AY7Lz.jpg

Cheers
Lee

Back