"Old Knives"

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by VCM3, Jan 21, 2008.

1. herder

herder Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Very nice looking older Case and fits into this thread just fine.

2. Goetztalon

Goetztalon

Feb 8, 2016
    Plus one of what lostball said just wish I had a older case to show also lol. My old knife is a buck two dot 110 that I got from my dad when I was a kid in the 70's and a old schrade 1940T from the 80's.

Lostball and veitsi_poika like this.
  3. veitsi_poika

veitsi_poika Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 25, 2016
    Much appreciated herder :), knowledge is power! I did see some Kastor info that had the same years (~1860) but they may have just relied on Goins as a reference. I'm going to pick up some more reference material, what does everyone recommend as "must have" pocket knife literature? Bernie's book for sure what about Voyles, Shackleford, etc?
    - Kevin

4. veitsi_poika

Nov 25, 2016
    Hear hear LB! :thumbsup: For a person who used to spend most of my free time hitting the bottle, this forum is my new addiction as I gave up my old ways over 4 years ago :) So your term "knifeaholic" is very appropriate for my case :D It's a much more useful and healthy way to spend my time :thumbsup:
    - Kevin

Lostball likes this.
  5. veitsi_poika

Nov 25, 2016
    Sticking with the Case XX theme... I got this 62009-1/2 last week :) My wife has bought me a few of the newer collector Case knives which are nice, but not old :rolleyes: So this is the first one I have bought for myself, it was a no-brainer when I saw it. The pen blade has half stop and snaps like new but the clip is just the opposite, no wobble at least :thumbsup: It is a great looker :cool:

CASEB-1A.JPG CASEB-1B.JPG

- V_P

6. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    In keeping with the older Case knives, here's a larger 99 frame Rope knife with a primitive (and scary!) can opener. From the Case Tested era:
    Case 99 Rope Can 1.jpg Case 99 Rope Can 2.jpg

7. waynorth

Nov 19, 2005
    One of my favorite Case Tested Barlows!!
    Case 62005 one half.jpg

8. waynorth

Nov 19, 2005
    I never realized how wide and square these old rope knives were until I finally found a full-bladed one! W.R.Case and Sons, for WWI. The last picture shows a Robeson Suredge, almost as full. Navy Knife 5.jpg Navy Knife 7.jpg Navy Knife 6.jpg Navy Knives 1.jpg

9. knowtracks

knowtracks Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 16, 2006
    Very :cool: Charlie!!!
    That tang stamp on the Case has to be rare!!!

Dave

paulhilborn likes this.
  10. Campbellclanman

Campbellclanman Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Lost ball - what a striking 60’s Jack that is. Everything about that Knife is just great, I love the colour of the Bone and that wonderful work that Case did with their Bone - in the way of Jigg work.

V- P nice Red Bone as well in your Barlow, Case when they were good we’re brilliant weren’t they!
    Case seemed to make many clip point Red Bones in this era- but it seems as if they made much fewer Spear Points.

Charlie- exemplary examples! Surely the Top Case with the Can Opener has to be an elusive pattern? haven’t seen many of those - let alone in that condition!

I can see why that Barlow would be one of your favourite Cases! Wow!

11. veitsi_poika

Nov 25, 2016
    Wow, great show Charlie! :cool::thumbsup: I've yet to land any rope knives in my collection but they are on the radar... I haven't seen many with bone handles though, mostly woodies. Very nice knives kind sir :)

- Kevin

12. herder

herder Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Nice Case Barlow, V.P.
    waynorth, your recent models are fantastic as always. :)

veitsi_poika likes this.
  13. rockman0

rockman0 Gold Member Gold Member

May 5, 2013
    I see why it's a favorite ! :thumbsup:

14. LongBlade

LongBlade

May 8, 2015
    Nice Case knives Lostball, Kevin and Charlie :thumbsup: :thumbsup:… I don’t have any Case knives to show as I have not chased them at all but do appreciate their quality and history!!

Charlie – great looking rope knives from Robeson and Case with early stamps !! I’ll use that lead for another rope knife pattern which was a very generous gift from a friend who may be a member here as well (espn77) :) … My first New England Whaler - and every New Englander needs a New England Whaler knife LOL…

Humason & Beckley Mfg Co - New England Whaler – (better known as H&B existed from1852-1916 in New Britain CT)… The New England Whaler was a smaller curved jack and was developed for cutting harpoon ropes for the old whaling industry. This 2 blade NE Whaler with a horn handle is 3 & 1/2" closed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While I am showing a H&B knife here is a unique piece of ephemera to go with it – This is an interesting original bank check (front and back) from the H&B Mfg Co New Britain written in 1870, and notably signed by the treasurer at the time Virgil P. Humason who became treasurer of H&B in 1866 and who later after his father's death took over the company (his father William L. Humason started the company). And yes that is V.P. Humason’s original signature on the check – pretty cool autograph to have LOLOL :D .. Anyway I spent some time a few years ago trying to figure out for what the check was written and who were the names on the check. A.P. Collins (to whom the check was written) was a lawyer in New Britain CT and was heavily involved as well in New Britain politics. Following incorporation of New Britain CT as a city in 1870 A.P. Collins was voted in as part of City Council and was Treasurer in 1871 when the first Mayor was elected - Frederick T Stanley (yes the same person that started Stanley Tools). Anyway I am speculating the check was written for insurance given I found A.P. Collins was involved in a few of those types of transactions but this is no way a definite. Note $40.56 in 1870 is worth $730 today so it was not a small amount of cash. The check was endorsed on the back by a few folks in NYC – not sure why but maybe related to how the banking system worked in the 1800s. My research came to a dead end though in terms of figuring out who GF Seaz (or Leaz – I have trouble sometimes interpreting old handwriting style) was on bottom left from Orville OH in Wayne County. Perhaps that last detail was the key to knowing more about the check as I think he was the final recipient of the money. Anyway I wanted to share this while I had H&B on the mind ;)...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers
    Lee

15. rockman0

rockman0 Gold Member Gold Member

May 5, 2013
    I'll throw in my tested barehead Jack.
    [​IMG]

16. waynorth

Nov 19, 2005
    Nice H&B, Lee - and ephemera!

Excuse me for repeating this Case (4 1/8"), but I wanted to bring it near to this Schrade Cut Co (4 1/4") for comparison. I wonder who was first??? You don't want the competition to get a lock on scary can openers!!:) Case 99 Rope Can 1.jpg Schrade Cut 4 and quarter A.jpg

17. waynorth

Nov 19, 2005
    Great Case Jack, Rob. I love those - they are like a boy's knife! How long is it?

A later tribute to the Whaler, these Schrade Waldens are post WWII. A useful pattern not only for a Whaler, but for a florist!! 3 1/2" just like Lee's H&B above!
    Whalers 2 Schrades A.jpg

18. flatblackcapo

flatblackcapo Part time maker, very very part time Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 25, 2012
    Wow, That is somethin' special! Those crisp bolsters, the jigging, the clip.....heck I like everthing about it!

19. waynorth

Nov 19, 2005
    Add nice W&T, my feeling exactly!:)

flatblackcapo likes this.
  20. Garza

Garza

May 8, 2015
    Here’s an old one I don’t no much about physicians knife A W Wadsworth and Son Germany
    [​IMG] [​IMG]