"Old Knives"

Picked up these minties :) Unfortunately, the market trader I bought the John Watts off, taped the box down to his display case with Sellotape o_O

View attachment 888107

View attachment 888108

View attachment 888109

View attachment 888113

View attachment 888114

View attachment 888115

That Richards shell souvenir knife and the John Watts penknife you posted, Jack, put me in mind of these two, which were gifted to me by a generous bloke in Sheffield.;):)

They were probably posted when they first found their way to your table, but I thought I might share them again.

The images on the pile side of this Richards shell knife are labelled Blarney Castle, and Upper Lake, Killarney.
P8JAqwd.jpg

The mark side pictorials are labelled Celtic Cross, and Nelsons Pillar, Dublin.
DEjbL6p.jpg

The depiction of Nelson’s Pillar evidently dates this knife as pre-1966, as the Pillar was heavily damaged in that year by an Irish Republican cadre, and subsequently demolished by the Irish Army.

Although I’m more of a jackknife person than a penknife one, this very neatly made, early stainless steel bladed piece, with ivory covers by John Watts is one of my treasured knives.
kPoHFZm.jpg

(Shown with a fused lump of volcanic iron from the coast of Western Victoria. The lump will cling strongly to a magnet.)

Last edited:
That Richards shell souvenir knife and the John Watts penknife you posted, Jack, put me in mind of these two, which were gifted to me by a generous bloke in Sheffield.;):)

They were probably posted when they first found their way to your table, but I thought I might share them again.

The images on the pile side of this Richards shell knife are labelled Blarney Castle, and Upper Lake, Killarney.
P8JAqwd.jpg

The mark side pictorials are labelled Celtic Cross, and Nelsons Pillar, Dublin.
DEjbL6p.jpg

The depiction of Nelson’s Pillar evidently dates this knife as pre-1966, as the Pillar was heavily damaged in that year by an Irish Republican cadre, and subsequently demolished by the Irish Army.

Although I’m more of a jackknife person than a penknife one, this very neatly made, early stainless steel bladed piece, with ivory covers by John Watts is one of my treasured knives.
kPoHFZm.jpg

(Shown with a fused lump of volcanic iron from the coast of Western Victoria. The lump will cling strongly to a magnet.)

Nice to see those two again my friend :) I would have thought the Richards knife was from the 1950's. My reason for gifting you the Watts knife was that I expected we would pass by the old factory on your visit to Sheffield, which as it turns out, we didn't have time to do. Next time eh? ;) :thumbsup:

Since the name came up, I have to jump at the chance to post these pics of my favorite Richards Sheffield knife that I posted in a different thread a few months ago...

RSS-1A.JPG RSS-1B.JPG RSS-1C.JPG

I have 5 Richards Sheffield knives and they are all very nicely made and have great snap, not sure what their reputation is amongst the "Old Knife" people but I like them. Seems they have the Imperial shell knife reputation so probably are what you pay for them hey?

- Kevin

V. P. - Nice folder with a neat "Stainless Steel" shield. Also, interesting colors on what looks like celluloid handles?

Paul - Fantastic group of Pruners made even better by the additional models from Campbellclanman.
Was it really out of friendship or due to those compromising pictures of him that generated this wonderful gift? :)

Campbellclanman - The only thing better than scoring a fine old Sheffield knife, is finding a group of them.
And to have the box, just fantastic!!!

Jack - Great table grouping and I love that old Newton. Francis Newton produced a wide array of beautiful folders along with table cutlery and other silver items.
Enclosed is a catalog illustration of your model from 1908.

View attachment 888225
Yes they are celluloid handles herder... it was difficult to get a good picture to show the pattern and colors but it's a mix of golds, browns, reds and greens; different for sure. Here is another pic that was a little brighter light:

SC-1D.JPG

- Kevin

Mason Knives - Two nice old and uncommon Barlow models.
Jack - I love those pinched bolsters on that Christopher Johnson folder.
Cambertree - Neat Richards and story behind it. Good looking John Watts folder also.
Augie - Great older Case pruner with beautiful red bone handles.
V. P. - Wild emerald Green handles on that Richards folder. Richards sure made a wide variety of interesting shell handled knives.

I picked this up yesterday, haven't even oiled it yet.

View attachment 888077

View attachment 888079

View attachment 888084

View attachment 888088

View attachment 888085

View attachment 888087
I'm pretty sure Rodgers used to do a pattern just like this, but this one is by Francis Newton. I hadn't heard of this cutler, but fortunately the Good Professor Tweedale had ;) Having already been in the cutlery trade for some years, Francis Newton began trading under his own name, as both a manufacturer and factor, in the 1830's. He was Sheffield's Master Cutler in 1844. He brought his sons into the firm in the 1850's, and it became Francis Newton & Sons. Francis retired in 1854, dying ten years later.
I notice is a slight etch on your Newton knife Jack, I could make out "TRY KNIFE":

Premier2.JPG

So I did a quick Google search and found the same knife with the etch more clear:

Premier.JPG

- Kevin

Since the name came up, I have to jump at the chance to post these pics of my favorite Richards Sheffield knife that I posted in a different thread a few months ago...

View attachment 888873 View attachment 888874 View attachment 888875

I have 5 Richards Sheffield knives and they are all very nicely made and have great snap, not sure what their reputation is amongst the "Old Knife" people but I like them. Seems they have the Imperial shell knife reputation so probably are what you pay for them hey?

- Kevin

That's a particularly nice one :) My dad worked at Richards when I was a kid. The knives were ubiquitous here at one time, sold in every newsagent, barbers shop, etc, and I still come across a lot of them. They were so inexpensive that they were more or less viewed as disposable, so often the ones I find are in very poor shape, sometimes they are as new though. The steel was generally OK until the 70's, obviously the construction leaves a lot to be desired :thumbsup:

Few more :thumbsup:

Richards 4-blade Scout Knife (Brown) 1.JPG

Richards African Zebra Knife 1.JPG

Richards Decimal Knife 1.JPG

Richards Farthing Knife 1.JPG

Richards Green-Blue Penknife 2.JPG

Richards HOP 1-1.JPG

Richards Jack 1-1.JPG

Richards Keyring 3-blade Advertising Knife 1-1.JPG

I've got a lot of these, I'll not post them all! :D :thumbsup:

Like other cutlery manufacturers in Sheffield, Richards also made clasp knives for the British Army during WW2 :thumbsup:

Richards 1944 Clasp Knife 1S.JPG

I notice is a slight etch on your Newton knife Jack, I could make out "TRY KNIFE":

View attachment 889057

So I did a quick Google search and found the same knife with the etch more clear:

View attachment 889059

- Kevin

Thanks Kevin (and Herder :) ), I should really have taken a separate photo of the blade :thumbsup:

Attachments

• Richards Green-Blue Penknife 2.JPG
    Richards Green-Blue Penknife 2.JPG
    134.3 KB · Views: 1
Back to Pruners for a bit, we often show our deluxe or exceptional beauties here. Today I scanned two groups of plain old, USA-made pruners!
Top to bottom, 1st pic:
Sword Brand (Camillus)
3-line Camillus
KeenKutter
E.C.Simmonds KeenKutter
Case XX USA
second picture:
Schrade Cut Co.
Winchester
Remington
Robeson
Empire Winsted
Ulster Dwight Divine
Plain Pruner group 1.jpg Plain Pruner group 2.jpg

That's a particularly nice one :) My dad worked at Richards when I was a kid. The knives were ubiquitous here at one time, sold in every newsagent, barbers shop, etc, and I still come across a lot of them. They were so inexpensive that they were more or less viewed as disposable, so often the ones I find are in very poor shape, sometimes they are as new though. The steel was generally OK until the 70's, obviously the construction leaves a lot to be desired :thumbsup:

Few more :thumbsup:

View attachment 889214

I've got a lot of these, I'll not post them all! :D :thumbsup:

Jack seeing this pic reminded me that I have one just like it that was my Grandpa's, I remember that he used it to clean his pipe.

Thanks for sparking the memory, I had forgotten that I had it :thumbsup:

9lfpGHjh.jpg

oRQ4yS0h.jpg

I can only imagine just how many of Richards knives you have my friend. I’m sure that group alone would cover the famous Jack Black Table.

Charlie- Each and every one of those Pruners are simply fantastic.

Back