"Old Knives"

Augie - Great looking 3 blade M&G - unique pattern :thumbsup: ... ashame about the one spring but how many 3 spring knives does one ever see so I can see the appeal for sure;)

Stuart - Great showing of some lovely hawkbills :thumbsup: - some real beauties in there!

Kevin - Great old Walden hawkbill :thumbsup: - I have one somewhere too - the snap of that blade is no doubt a bear trap :) ... I assume yours is also hard snapping - actually heard Walden made some of the strongest snapping hawkbills out there when you get them in good condition...

Mike - That is a lovely Henckles Hawkbill :thumbsup: ... beautiful condition and some great gnarly stag :) ...

Since the hawkbill parade is on ;) :thumbsup: ... Here's a couple of my new ones and need to get pics of others ...

American Shear & Knife:

JaUi6sX.jpg

Q8ZVYiT.jpg

IGngciz.jpg

bvDTDWR.jpg

jGY7VyB.jpg

Waterville:

ycSH1t0.jpg

DWG5BeP.jpg

2eLo71P.jpg

kf7xZO0.jpg

Cheers
Lee
Lee that two Great Hawksbill Knives my friend- the American Shear & Knife is just an outstanding Pruner / Hawksbill ( they are the same to me as cutlers vary in descriptions themselves).
I absolutely love everything about that Knife! The Waterville is a Sweetheart as well.

Thanks Paul, and good to see you back over here on the wrong side of the tracks. :)
I've wandered for to long my friend and hopefully will join the fray once more;):) All these wonderful pruners FINALLY gave me the incentive to round up the ones I have. My love of pruners has always been but then constant prodding from a certain Kiwi kicked it into a full fledged assault:eek: Many thanks go out to our friend Duncan. This friend to all is really something else no matter what your first impressions may be:D:p

I will post the pruners I have accrued and then something really remarkable!!!:cool::cool::cool:
My collection before someone intervened;)
PHKnTy.jpg

pfLAPl.jpg

6L4nno.jpg

zORdAK.jpg

pjL8kE.jpg

The GORGEOUS Stag Lockwood Brothers pruner is a gift from Duncan, The Hammer Brand Guano is one I had acquired sometime back:thumbsup:
ZEHKSF.jpg

C2FjO3.jpg

NOW THE REMARKABLE PART!!!
Duncan gifted me his ENTIRE COLLECTION of pruners:eek::eek::eek: It really is remarkable. To those who collect, it is a long arduous journey, one that takes time, patience and a lot of commitment!!! that said, Duncan did include in some of the notes that list history of the knife and company, that when I die I have to give one or two back!!!:eek::rolleyes::p Duncan, you'll just have to come state side, bury me, then pilfer my entire collection:D

Just look at these. For the sake of this thread, I hope you can zoom in or expand the pictures to see these wonderful Pruners and the descriptions Duncan listed on several of them:thumbsup: WARNING: Duncan talks funny and his penmanship is no better:D:D:D

Thank you Matey!!!
di60bb.jpg

r9lh02.jpg

f3p4nV.jpg

3G9jQL.jpg

BchYHa.jpg

I am at work now but will add the names of some of the remarkable knife manufacturers that produced these amazing Pruners.

Last edited:
Oh Man..so good to see Paul! But folks Paul tends to forget the MANY knives he has gifted me - so I figure it's still not even!

I would like to review some of the information I have- I guess it's a good thing to continually revue what you have- OR should I say what you THINK you have etc.

I have on the card of that C J Johnson Flag Knife- Instead of the Handles being Bakelite - I'm sure its Ebony- thanks to both Charlie and Jack helping me with a massive Wade and Butcher that has exact Handles.

Also note the top right hand knife first photo- Jack so very kindly sent me TWO...yes TWO almighty huge Taylor Eye witness Pruners- I asked Jack if it were ok to gift Paul one of these - now these ( Taylor twins as we call them) Have a snap and walk and talk that is extremely authoritative! Watch those fingers!
Paul now has the Book " The Sheffield Knife Book" - so that can help with a lot of those Sheffields.

A pure pleasure - because Paul has helped me SO incredibly- as others have here, and Paul- as you can see is very much into his Hawkbills/ Pruners- and I thought it was only fair to gift a small percentage back as to what Paul has given me- so I can try and concentrate on my main Patterns.
in saying this I still buy the odd Pruner lol, still have Jacks wonder Taylor Eye Witness, Paul gifted me a very neat older Case Pruner etc- so I still have a nice small collection building again lol.

Its a MASSIVE thank you Paul, your amazing my friend.

Friendships built over knives develop ties that can never be cut.

You’re both wonderful, generous and contribute so much to the forums it’s really tribute to your friendship with each other.

Can’t think of a more deserving person Paul. Duncan, another great friend to the community and a fountain of pictures and info on traditionals. Thanks for all you both do. :)

Camillus owned Stainless Steel Cutlery Co 3-3/8" pen knife, c.1924-1940... they made nice knives :)

View attachment 887638 View attachment 887639 View attachment 887640 View attachment 887641

- Kevin

Of all the old celluloid scales, this waterfall celluloid is by far my favorite. I would love it if a modern maker were to recreate this with acrylic.

I've wandered for to long my friend and hopefully will join the fray once more;):) All these wonderful pruners FINALLY gave me the incentive to round up the ones I have. My love of pruners has always been but then constant prodding from a certain Kiwi kicked it into a full fledged assault:eek: Many thanks go out to our friend Duncan. This friend to all is really something else no matter what your first impressions may be:D:p

I will post the pruners I have accrued and then something really remarkable!!!:cool::cool::cool:
PHKnTy.jpg

pfLAPl.jpg

6L4nno.jpg

zORdAK.jpg

pjL8kE.jpg

The GORGEOUS Stag Lockwood Brothers pruner is a gift from Duncan, The Hammer Brand Guano is one I had acquired sometime back:thumbsup:
ZEHKSF.jpg

C2FjO3.jpg

Duncan gifted me his ENTIRE COLLECTION of pruners:eek::eek::eek: It really is remarkable. To those who collect, it is a long arduous journey, one that take time, patience and a lot of commitment!!! So that said, Duncan did include in some of the notes that list history of the knife and company, that when I die I have to give one or two back!!!:eek::rolleyes::p Duncan, your just going to have come state side, bury me, then pilfer my entire collection:D

Look at these will you. For the sake of this thread, I hope you can zoom in or expand the pictures to see these wonderful Pruners and the descriptions Duncan listed on several of them:thumbsup: WARNING: Duncan talks funny and his penmanship is no better:D:D:D

Thank you Matey!!!
di60bb.jpg

r9lh02.jpg

f3p4nV.jpg

3G9jQL.jpg

BchYHa.jpg

I am at work now but will add the names of some of the remarkable knife manufacturers that produced these amazing Pruners.

That Sutton & Sons has stag that was perfectly matched to the curve of the handle. And the Pacific Guano Hammer really shows the rich color of the cocobolo in these pictures.

PHKnTy.jpg

pfLAPl.jpg

6L4nno.jpg

zORdAK.jpg

pjL8kE.jpg

ZEHKSF.jpg

C2FjO3.jpg

Duncan gifted me his ENTIRE COLLECTION of pruners:eek::eek::eek: It really is remarkable. To those who collect, it is a long arduous journey, one that take time, patience and a lot of commitment!!! So that said, Duncan did include in some of the notes that list history of the knife and company, that when I die I have to give one or two back!!!:eek::rolleyes::p Duncan, your just going to have come state side, bury me, then pilfer my entire collection:D

Look at these will you. For the sake of this thread, I hope you can zoom in or expand the pictures to see these wonderful Pruners and the descriptions Duncan listed on several of them:thumbsup: WARNING: Duncan talks funny and his penmanship is no better:D:D:D

Thank you Matey!!!
di60bb.jpg

r9lh02.jpg

f3p4nV.jpg

3G9jQL.jpg

BchYHa.jpg

Jaw dropping pruner collection, Paul!
s1023.gif
:thumbsup:

Friendships built over knives develop ties that can never be cut
Quoted because it needed to be quoted. :thumbsup:

Friendships built over knives develop ties that can never be cut.

You’re both wonderful, generous and contribute so much to the forums it’s really tribute to your friendship with each other.

Can’t think of a more deserving person Paul. Duncan, another great friend to the community and a fountain of pictures and info on traditionals. Thanks for all you both do. :)
Of all the old celluloid scales, this waterfall celluloid is by far my favorite. I would love it if a modern maker were to recreate this with acrylic.

That Sutton & Sons has stag that was perfectly matched to the curve of the handle. And the Pacific Guano Hammer really shows the rich color of the cocobolo in these pictures.
Duncan, supratentorial, Ted and lambertiana, the joy of using and collecting knives (old and new) form a bond among people that last for years and years, there's a reason some members have been here for years;) I appreciate your comments very much. You worded it so well Ted "ties that can't be cut":thumbsup:

Thank you for the very kind comments everyone- they mean a great deal to me, and especially to all those who pm'd me telling me that I am a much better guy than Paul - it's appreciated but not at all necessary - lets keep it fair! :D:rolleyes:

A while ago I was contacted by a friend who let me know this set was on sale- in the local market here in good old NZ!!:eek:

There was discussion on these Knives some time back- but lets re-look at them.
These were quite literally the find in the Rafters in the old Shed if you can believe that, far from Mint, but a set of lovely old Ettrick's by Lockwood Bros. Sheffield.

If we go by the usual with Sheffield Knife- having no ENGLAND stamped on the Tang, you would consider these knives to be pre 1900's, but these Knives are not that early, intended for local market and not for export?

I originally thought that these knives may be fairly early 1900's - say 20's or 30's? but there was the thinking they were possibly 50's?
When I look at the box they came in- sure...condition is not the tale of age - but what I like to look at is the style of Handwriting, the Boxes, labels, era/style of Handwriting also counts I'm guessing - all hinting toward the first half rather than the later 1900's?

These Knives were in their Box- New & unused....

Youngs Sheep Dips- Established in the late 1800's..
UN26wBm.jpg

Note the Box says "stag", this as we know was often the case in Catalogs of the Old Knives- Jigged Bone was often described as Stag or Stag Bone.

There were two sets of these knives, this set being not so Mint- but man....I feel privileged to own such a fine set of Knives- with their Box - Im not going to say Rare- but I just feel Lucky.....
Love the Jig Work....

xaZc1I6.jpg

2kYe4JX.jpg

vhhqCFb.jpg

rl1fbmm.jpg

HDdlqyS.jpg

zjFtcKO.jpg

BsgzmR8.jpg

7ZRpJ1z.jpg

What looks to be a notch out of the edge of the Spine- is a lump of Renaissance Wax - Photos make these look Harsh- "in the Flesh they really are a pleasure to view and behold...
02A7ZQY.jpg

Wow Duncan! Those are AMAZING:cool::thumbsup: I love the fact they're in their original box, the whole shebang type of thing makes it extra special:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
And seriously, you are a much better guy than me, because really, who else would gift me those wonderful Ettricks complete in their box:D:eek:
Just a wonderful set there buddy:thumbsup::)

paulhilborn paulhilborn Paul, that is an incredible collection of Pruners my friend :) We both know how much Duncan loved his Pruners, so what a generous gift that is :) The Legend strikes again! ;) Well done Duncan Campbellclanman Campbellclanman Hey Duncan, I just posted a pic of some knives on my kitchen table in the Lounge, and there is now a Taylor Triplet! :eek: :D Fantastic Ettricks my friend :) :thumbsup:

Table 15-4-17.JPG

Good things happen for good people.Quite a catch Duncan and quite a pruner collection Paul.

"Good on you both"

Nice pruners Herder,Mike ,Stuart,Kevin,and Lee.
paulhilborn paulhilborn Paul, that is an incredible collection of Pruners my friend :) We both know how much Duncan loved his Pruners, so what a generous gift that is :) The Legend strikes again! ;) Well done Duncan Campbellclanman Campbellclanman Hey Duncan, I just posted a pic of some knives on my kitchen table in the Lounge, and there is now a Taylor Triplet! :eek: :D Fantastic Ettricks my friend :) :thumbsup:

View attachment 887979
Thank you Lyle and Jack. Jack that Taylor is an amazing Pruner. I'm serious when I say "use with caution" I truly believe it could minus one's finger:eek::eek::eek:

Back