"Old Knives"

I don't know what you'd call this little Western States knife. A humpback penknife?
3PZtup0.jpg

I popped off the deteriorating celluloid, and hope to have it de-rustified and re-covered this weekend..
xXR70WC.jpg

I'd go with Half-swell balloon or just balloon o_O:thumbsup:

View attachment 993203
Maybe, but notice the asymmetrical front bolster. I did a quick internet search, and haven't seen anything exactly like it. o_O
Thanks Mike and Rachel... I do not see any obvious signs of tampering, feels like an original good 'ol Ulster to me :):thumbsup: Just felt odd to flip it over to find the nail nick o_O
Did they ever make any with the shield on the pile side?

David Clark didn't realize there was one either Dave, even though it was in the catalog he made reprints of. I was at his table and asked him about a Schatt farmers jack as I thumbed through his reprint there. He said he hadn't seen one, and about that time I spotted this.

View attachment 992739

Thanks for posting this Lyle! I also have his reproduction catalog and I've seen the FJ in it but I've never seen one "in the flesh" ;)

Dave

Valley Forge is an unusual brand to find in my area. This is one of the Box O'Knives I picked up a couple weeks ago. Love the sunken joints...

sVxEjv2.jpg

huvV5EP.jpg
Very cool, been loving the box'o'knives thread, can't wait to see those big easy open jacks brought out. Question about this Valley Forge, If you carry it much would you leave the tip proud, or file the kick or drop the point? Looks like if you filed the kick it'd drop to low behind the pen. Just curious if it was a less rare user type how you'd deal with a proud tip. I'm guessing with this particular knife you'd leave it like you found it:):thumbsup:

Back