"Old Knives"

Charlie, that Napanoch HJ is a beauty- There must be very few of those out there? interesting that the same stamp - I take it that Winchester would have used old Stock Napanoch stock Punches on their HJ's?
Like most cutleries, they never wasted anything useful.
Duncan, my friend Tom from Winsted has paper evidence that cutleries ran large batches of specialized parts. Empire would run 10,000 punches for other cutleries, on order, as well as many thousands for their own future knives.
I am sure Winchester found some new old stock, and some set-ups for making punches when they took over. Punches provide some easily recognizable items that tell stories!!

Last edited:
Really nice Winchester Barlow's Charlie, great condition.

Lloyd, I don't have much in the way of information Winchesters, I only have 2. This dogleg has no dash next to trademark and has a different font on the pen blade, I'm thinking this is an early one.

IMG_6381.jpg IMG_6382.jpg IMG_6379.jpg

As promised - first pics, three Barlows and a small Coke Bottle Jack.
Second pair of pics, two Harness Jacks.
The first Barlow has the word trademark with dashes, as does the bottom HJ.
The bottom HJ also has the older Napanoch style punch, confirming that the "dashes" are on the older knives.
View attachment 1005463 View attachment 1005464 View attachment 1005465 View attachment 1005466

Just gotta ask, is the blade profile on the top Barlow the inspiration for the latest ancients? Even though it doesn't have the full length swedge, the profile looks like it to me :thumbsup:

I really like that Coke bottle jack and the dogleg.
I've never heard of a Winchester farmers jack. Like Case I think, must have been a little too late for the run on that pattern.

Augie my friend, that's a very nice Winchester Dogleg- Stunner in fact!

Charlie, both those very Early Barlows are very full bladed for the age- must be extremely hard to find a Barlow knife so intact! Yourself and Augie would have that near wrapped up I'd say!

Just to add to the Weck bandwagon. The one on the top.

9yJVCwR.jpg

Gge4EQ3.jpg

K5oGvgG.jpg

- Stuart

Having scanned some pictures of my 2 Empire large Coke Bottle Hunters - one jigged Bone, and one Ebony - I thought I'd post them here. The last picture has a modern custom in it for comparison. The Empires have forward back locks. Note the different style swedges, cut and drawn.Coke Hunters 1.jpg Coke Hunters 2.jpg Coke Hunters 3.jpg Coke Hunters 4.jpg

Last edited:
Sweet Sleeveboard Weck there Stuart, love that Bone- you wouldn't quite describe that as pick-bone as it's just starting to generate into a jig flow- interesting and Beautiful Wrapped into one my friend, that Robeson is no slouch either-Whew!:eek:

Charlie, as only Empire can do - Boom! Big Heavy Beautiful Knives!!! Interesting Pin location in the Rats Tail!
Kens rendition did them proud- who did the Scroll work Charlie- Does Ken do this himself? I like the wee detail to the Bar as well! :cool:

Certainly served their apprenticeship in the Pocket Worn Dept:) Beautiful colours and burnished look, do you actually have any bad bones? ;):D:thumbsup:

Sweet Sleeveboard Weck there Stuart, love that Bone- you wouldn't quite describe that as pick-bone as it's just starting to generate into a jig flow- interesting and Beautiful Wrapped into one my friend, that Robeson is no slouch either-Whew!:eek:

Thanks, Will and Duncan. Just trying to add some broth to the pot. Yes, Will, I do have some bone that is a bit tattered, but I save that for a very rainy day.

Cheers!
- Stuart

Great knives guys!! I have this little pearl coming from Australia, hope to have it this week. I am curious as to what this pattern is called. It's like a ring turner but with the tabs that you turn instead of rings? Also wish I could get a picture of the german patent that is on the knife? Any help would be great. Tang has Velox on it which is a mark used by Neumeyer & Dimond 1905-1906 according to Goinss-l1600 (6).jpg s-l1600 (8).jpg

Back