1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

"Old Knives"

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by VCM3, Jan 21, 2008.

1. herder

herder Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 24, 2007
    r8shell, always nice to see knives posted that are over the 100 year mark.
    JJCahil, wonderful pair of Robesons.
    Kai76, great old NYK toothpick with some beautiful bone.
    V.P., another nice old NYK toothpick model.

Pre-WWII folders with slant bolsters are not terribly common, but do add an interesting design element to a knife.
    Here is a 1920s to 1930s era Boker slant bolster model with nice jigged bone handles and a blade etch still visible.

BF Boker Slant Bolster .jpg

2. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    Real nice knife herder!! You have the eye!!!

Cambertree likes this.
  3. JJ Cahill

JJ Cahill Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 10, 2018
    Thank you! :D
    That great old Boker EE Jack is outstanding! The beautiful bone covers work perfectly with those slant bolsters;)

4. Campbellclanman

Campbellclanman Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 10, 2007
    I agree with the two gents above ^^
    Herder my friend, absolutely gorgeous Knife- and yes those Slanted Bolsters do the rick on an already fantastic Knife!

Cambertree and Fodderwing like this.
  5. Captvideo

Captvideo Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 19, 2014
    1960 Opinel No. 8. Still looking good.
    IMG_6657.PNG

6. tongueriver

tongueriver Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2007
    I have one oldie with oblique bolsters, a Schrade CutCo. catalog cut001.jpg oblique001 (Large).jpg oblique003 (Large).jpg oblique004 (Large).jpg

7. tongueriver

tongueriver Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2007
    Hmm... I guess I have two. Cutco 2.JPG oblique001.jpg

8. veitsi_poika

veitsi_poika Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 25, 2016
    Landed my first Boker scout the other day, really nice knife... I'm going to try the can opener making supper tonight, wish me luck :D

BOKERSC-1C.JPG BOKERSC-1D.JPG

9. JJ Cahill

Jun 10, 2018
    Very nice scout!!! Be careful, i have an opener like that and have yet to find the fortitude:eek:

10. herder

Feb 24, 2007
    Thanks, waynorth, JJ Cahill, and Campbellclanman!!! "do the rick" is a new one to me. :)
    Nice examples of slant bolster Schrade models, tongueriver, and interesting how the slants are in different configurations from one knife to another.
    Good looking older Opinel, Captvideo.
    Fine older American made Boker camper model, V.P., I've got a thing for Bokers. :)

JJ Cahill likes this.
  11. veitsi_poika

veitsi_poika Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 25, 2016
    Really? o_O I wasn't aware ;) :D I'm very happy with this one, very nice edge on it... might have to spend the long weekend in my cargo shorts pocket :):thumbsup:

Fodderwing likes this.
  12. danno50

danno50 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 15, 2008
    Just spent the last couple of hours catching up on this thread, lots of great knives posted in the last week or so!

lambertiana: some lovely Ulsters and a Southington, what's not to like. I really like the color of the worn bone on the bone handled Ulster jack!:thumbsup:. Also great bone on the Queen.

J.J.Cahill: nice Scout cousins! Also two great Robeson Pocketeze pens!:thumbsup:

Kai76: beautiful Empire jack, I like a bar shield on ebony! Really great NYK ebony congress pen and as you pointed excellent hafting!:thumbsup: Also a really nice NYK toothpick with the double ringed bolster and the multi ringed cap!

Duncan: great pruner, whomever made it! Beautiful old Cambridge and Co. jack, great old bone!:thumbsup: Very nice stag on the Anton Wingen Jr. hunter.

hoyer: interesting lock on the William Rogers, also really like that sabre clip blade!:thumbsup:

Lloyd: two great electrician's knives!:thumbsup:

Augie: lovely Catt with the Klein etch! Two beautiful ebony jacks, love them both!:thumbsup:

Herder: very nice Challenge jack with the rattail bolsters and interesting jigging!:thumbsup: Great Anton Wingen camper! I also have, what I believe is a pre WWII Boker canoe jack with bolsters that are slanted, ringed and pinched. I will try to get pics tomorrow and post them.

Kevin: beautiful pair of Ulster sailor's knives!:thumbsup: The Boker Scout is no slouch [email protected]

eisman: very nice photos and a great Vanco jack!:thumbsup:

Old Engineer and r8shell: love those old Oates barlows!:thumbsup: I had my eyes out for old barlows at the OKCA show this year, but there were none to be seen.

Tongueriver: two great Schrade Cut Co stockman knives!:thumbsup:

13. danno50

Apr 15, 2008
    Here is my slant bolstered Boker. I believe it is also from the 1920s or 1930s? Not in as good condition as herder's and unfortunately the pen blade is tipped.

RIMG1803.JPG RIMG1795.JPG RIMG1792.JPG

14. herder

Feb 24, 2007
    Despite a little secondary blade issue, that is a mighty fine and darn rare old Boker model.
    Slant bolsters with pinched ends on a bone handled canoe pattern, just beautiful.
    And yes, it dates to the 1920s / 1930s era.

15. Campbellclanman

Campbellclanman Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Yeah- Pretty Cool old Boker Dan!

Herder- my above post was meant to say "trick" not rick lol!

Calvin- once again your lovely Schrades are a treat to see!

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
  16. kai76

kai76 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 5, 2009
    @danno50 Thanks Dan! Nice old slant bolstered Boker’s and Schrade’s you @herder and Calvin @tongueriver posted. Boker’s always has nice bones! @danno50, that’s an interesting pattern, a canoe jack? Don’t think I’ve one before. @veitsi_poika Nice Boker scout knife with great Rogers? bone!

veitsi_poika likes this.
  17. JJ Cahill

Jun 10, 2018
    Thanks Dan! That's quite a piece you have! I don't think I've seen such a cool Canoe frame!:thumbsup:

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
  18. herder

Feb 24, 2007
    Ha, I honestly thought that was one of those neat "Down Under" sayings that I wasn't aware of. :)

Campbellclanman likes this.
  19. danno50

Apr 15, 2008
    thanks for the comments, herder, Duncan, Nick and JJ Cahill.

JJ Cahill likes this.
  20. soulsurf

soulsurf Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 8, 2010
    Can anybody help me figure out what this is? It was gifted to me and I have no background/knowledge on this type of knife https://imgur.com/gallery/KZ0NSOq

silver? any idea on the age?