"Old Knives"

Just got this barehead Schrade yesterday. had to sharpen out a small chip on the tip of the main blade but otherwise it's in great shape.

WMFG5gI.jpg

KodyFjZ.jpg

olER1nk.jpg

YVwPmjw.jpg

dkgm5k0.jpg

Thanks Augie, appreciate the compliment, the Rauh family may be distant relatives, some families made slight changes to their names upon arrival in the states, dropping the H isn't much of a stretch.

Fantastic stag on your NON XLL:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Rob, that is a beautiful Jack, pretty close to my last name which is Rau and I have a German heritage.

Here is a rarity for a Barlow collector, early stag handles with a spey main, made by Joseph Allen & Sons. Pretty good condition and the NON XLL bolster stamp is interesting, pretty sure it means "Non Excelled". I'm thinking 1890 to 1920 or so.

View attachment 1379163 View attachment 1379165 View attachment 1379166 View attachment 1379167 View attachment 1379168
WOW John:cool::cool::cool:
Just got this barehead Schrade yesterday. had to sharpen out a small chip on the tip of the main blade but otherwise it's in great shape.

WMFG5gI.jpg

KodyFjZ.jpg

olER1nk.jpg

YVwPmjw.jpg

dkgm5k0.jpg
Beauty Steve, just love the old jigging:thumbsup::cool:

Have to agree with the growing crowd of admirers on that Barlow Augie my friend. I haven’t seen too many Joseph Allen Barlow’s around, I used to have a lot of their Old fixed Blades.
Steve - Great old Schrade matey. You can never go wrong with that glorious Peach Seed, your Jack has real nice examples of this beautifully jigged Bone.

Nice Joseph Allen, John!!:thumbsup: It's great to see all those wonderful details on a (supposedly) lowly Barlow!!:D

Most of you know that several companies produced Rope knives with a nail file for WWI, but what did the companies do with all the leftover parts when the War was over???o_O There are always surplus parts!!:eek::)
Here you will see one solution!! Change out the nail file for a pen, and call the knife a SCOUT:cool:!! Most of the older companies had the thriftiness of our Grandfathers, and used it to their customers' benefit:D!!
I love the fact that the old companies proudly stamped all, or most, of their blades!!;)Schatt w Scout 1.jpg Schatt w Scout 2.jpg Schatt w Scout 3.jpg Schatt w Scout 4.jpg

It's never hard to agree with Cal, and i certainly do with him with that gorgeous Bone on that beaut old knife my friend- Good pick up Rob Matey.

Real Nice old Empire, Rob rockman0 rockman0 !! The Teardrop Jack is an historic pattern, and that main blade is beautiful!! I still say Empire was one of the greatest (and under-appreciated) companies!!

Thanks Charlie, It's my first Empire, impressive quality which is as good or better than a few other highly sought after brands that sell at higher prices. The teardrop pattern certainly is very pleasing to my eye, voluptuous in my opinion:thumbsup: I believe underappreciated is dead on Charlie :thumbsup:

Real Nice old Empire, Rob rockman0 rockman0 !! The Teardrop Jack is an historic pattern, and that main blade is beautiful!! I still say Empire was one of the greatest (and under-appreciated) companies!!

Back