1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opinel Mods, lets see them

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by onojoe, Jul 7, 2016.

1. onojoe

onojoe Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 4, 2013
    Been getting the itch to modify some knives lately, I will blame it on Glenn Badd and seeing his work. The Opinel seems to be the simplest (and inexpensive) design to start out with. If you have an Opinel that's been modded or customized, lets see them for some inspiration.

MarsHillPicker likes this.
  2. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Well, I'm in the middle of an ongoing mod of an Opinel #6. I decided to reshape the handle, mainly just to see if I could do it. So I whipped out a sunfish that was in my pocket and cut off the "flare" at the end of the handle, then grabbed some sandpaper and smoothed it all down to end up with what I'll call a "hot dog handle". It's shown next to a stock Opinel #7 below.
    [​IMG]

Unfortunately, I didn't have the foresight to think about the consequences of removing all that wood at the heel of the handle, and discovered this less than ideal situation. :(
    [​IMG]

I used a red Sharpie to mark the steel I wanted to remove to drop the point of the blade into the new handle:
    [​IMG]

You can see that it looks about right,
    [​IMG]

and will result in what I'll pretend is a spearpoint blade, once all the red steel is gone.
    [​IMG]

So I went to Sears and bought a single-cut medium/coarse bastard file, and have removed most of the "offending" steel. The blade is still clamped in my little vice for one more session of filing, and then I'll have to try to smooth out the finish with a silicon carbide stone and/or some sandpaper. I hope someday soon to post the finished project. (Maybe I should buy and learn to use some power tools! :rolleyes:)

- GT

3. WhittlinAway

WhittlinAway Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2016
    A No. 6 that I converted to a spear:

[​IMG]

4. lutejones

lutejones Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 15, 2007
    This one of my favourites [​IMG], sadly the other that I like a lotI have no pics and was a 7 customise to scimitar blade for carving.
    Beech is harder to carve than other woods but it's worthy.
    Mateo

5. steve-in-kville

steve-in-kville Basic Member Basic Member

Dec 25, 2001
    ^^^ Love it!

6. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Greg, that's a great spearpoint! :thumbup:

Mateo, that carved handle (with mohawk and name and everything) is outstanding!! :thumbup:

Impressive work, gentlemen! :cool:

- GT

7. Henry Beige

Henry Beige Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 1, 2015
    Here are a couple, my first attempts at modding my Opinels. Neither is really finiShed; both need a little more sandpaper time. Nothing original here, just some ideas I got off this forum and some others. I just rounded the heel of the 6. On the 8 I flattened the sides as well. I used some beet juice in tung oil to redden it a little. I was hoping for something a bit darker, but I guess I have a lot to learn about staining wood.

[​IMG]

The blade of the 8 is also undergoing a transition to a drop point. The going was pretty slow with sandpaper, so I will wait until I figure out where to put my belt sander before I complete the job.

These knives both ride in the pocket much less obtrusively than unmodified knives.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
  8. Wowbagger

Wowbagger Basic Member Basic Member

Sep 20, 2015
    I tend to like a large handle relative to the blade size. Of late I have been EDCing longer blades, four inch or so but in the past three inch was plenty and I found that something shorter lent its self to high force yet high control.

So I envisioned this ultra short blade with this humungus handle. This was an Opinel #12. It is very light in the pocket and I can carry it all day at work and not even really tell it is there until I put my hand in my pocket.

I was very proud of it . . . until The Chef pointed out that I had . . . well to use here words : "Congratulations you have made a box knife".

Still . . . I feel it is a bit more than that but she has a point.

[​IMG]

I had to cut a new nail nick and did it on the opposite side so I could preserve the Opinel brand logo stamped in the blade.

[​IMG]

9. John Watson

John Watson

Nov 29, 1998
    [​IMG]

10. deltaboy

deltaboy

Jul 6, 2014
    [​IMG]

Here are my 3 Customized Opinels.

11. steve-in-kville

steve-in-kville Basic Member Basic Member

Dec 25, 2001
    I wanna see someone mod an Opinel into an auto. That would score a lot of coolness points!!

12. ConBon

ConBon

Jan 17, 2012
    Function over form, and by the way I've been working as a painter with my dad my whole life and thought I knew a thing or two about staining until I got my first opinel in a raw wood state. :D

I've decided to fight an uphill battle and stain one dark black for a friend. It's between coat number one and two atm.

Connor

13. A.L.

A.L.

Jun 27, 2007
    [​IMG]

My "Cigar Opinel". Rounded handle with spear point blade. Muchos buenos! :D

14. deltaboy

deltaboy

Jul 6, 2014
    Cool mod.

15. Mr. Chips

Mr. Chips

Apr 3, 2012
    Here's one I did a few years ago

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Mr. Chips

Mr. Chips

Apr 3, 2012
    This one was an old knife that one of my daughters found in the bush. After twenty years or so, I got around to re grinding the blade to a Wharncliffe and made a new handle out of walnut

[​IMG]

17. Mr. Chips

Mr. Chips

Apr 3, 2012
    Yet another one. This one is one I did for myself.

[​IMG]

It is specially sharpened to make it easier to carve the fan birds that I make. This knife made hundreds of them until I gave it to another carver who wanted one just like it. I made another one very much like it when I got home, that has likewise made a LOT of these birds.
    [​IMG]

18. deltaboy

deltaboy

Jul 6, 2014
    Nice art work . And great mods to those Opinels.

19. davek14

davek14

May 30, 2009
    Beech is very hard to stain. I sand blasted an Opi once and it took stain like a sponge. Using coarse sandpaper only and not going to finer grades is said to work. You want to keep the grain open apparently.

Scorching the handle a bit is the easiest way.

20. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    You did a great job of this one Dave :) :thumbup:

[​IMG]

Some fantastic work here :thumbup: