Opinel 8 Carbon Mod vs Cold Steel 4-MAX

MhLMD6x.jpg

Opinel 8 Carbon Mod next to my Underworldly-Spydiechef

ki5caUt.jpg

Spines of Spydiechef next to Opinel 8 Carbon Mod

zNFrHnt.jpg

Spines of Large Sebenza 31 next to Opinel 8 Carbon Mod:

NSbJHRQ.jpg

Compared to some of the work posted here, my reno job falls into insignificance. I recently re did the handle on my only Opinel, just got bored with the stock standard orange Beechwood. I sanded it right back, then applied 6 thin coats of Tru-Oil. Came up a treat, unfortunately the photos do not do it justice.
VCHE1iJ.jpg

I4YouNc.jpg

XiotGWc.jpg

Compared to some of the work posted here, my reno job falls into insignificance. I recently re did the handle on my only Opinel, just got bored with the stock standard orange Beechwood. I sanded it right back, then applied 6 thin coats of Tru-Oil. Came up a treat, unfortunately the photos do not do it justice.
VCHE1iJ.jpg

I4YouNc.jpg

XiotGWc.jpg
Looks good. I’m in the process of doing the same thing to a #8 right now. My usual process is a couple of days soak in thinned boiled linseed oil then a few topcoats of Tru-oil.
The Tru-oil is my favorite knife handle finish, looks nice and glossy yet remains somewhat grippy.

My usual process is a couple of days soak in thinned boiled linseed oil then a few topcoats of Tru-oil.
That sounds interesting, i might give that a try, would just normal Raw Linseed be okay, i have a heap of that, but not the boiled. What do you thin your boiled linseed with?:)

That sounds interesting, i might give that a try, would just normal Raw Linseed be okay, i have a heap of that, but not the boiled. What do you thin your boiled linseed with?:)
You could, but it would take much longer to dry, if it all. I thin with mineral spirits, the idea being that it will help get it further into the wood. This is just an idea however and I don’t even know if it works, so may not even be worth the effort. My knives, axe handles and other tools treated this way have always held up well in the long run against moisture, but honestly multiple layers of Tru oil are probably sufficient.

what did you use to carve the handle?

looks really great, a legit French vibe :)
Thanks, I used a variety of knives actually. I would carry it along with another traditional and when I took a few minutes break, or lunch time I'd whittle a bit on it. Then sanded with an few different grits of paper ending with a fingernail emory board. The dark stripe was done with a butane micro torch.:thumbsup:

Thanks, I used a variety of knives actually. I would carry it along with another traditional and when I took a few minutes break, or lunch time I'd whittle a bit on it. Then sanded with an few different grits of paper ending with a fingernail emory board. The dark stripe was done with a butane micro torch.:thumbsup:

it's such a great classic handle pattern. I'm going to have to try something like this with a small carbon 6 next year.

thanks for the inspiration!

Back