Opinion on non-traditional wood for axe handle

I haven't had great experience with the buck bros chisels from HD either FYI. Most edged tools from the big box stores fall way, way short.

Lightsoutcalls, I think black locust might do alright.

Yes, black locust has strength and elasticity very similar to hickory. It's also rot resistant like cedar. And it has a coarse grain which grips the wedge well. I recall reading in the Foxfire books that black locust was often used for pegs to attach beams together in post & beam construction. Over the years the beams would rot away and the locust pegs would still be there, still hard and strong. Locust is the wood of choice for trail structures on the Appalachian Trail. In the NW it's considered an invasive species. I would have no qualms about taking a tree for axe handles. And any remaining wood would be great in the fireplace.

Yes, black locust has strength and elasticity very similar to hickory. It's also rot resistant like cedar. And it has a coarse grain which grips the wedge well. I recall reading in the Foxfire books that black locust was often used for pegs to attach beams together in post & beam construction. Over the years the beams would rot away and the locust pegs would still be there, still hard and strong. Locust is the wood of choice for trail structures on the Appalachian Trail. In the NW it's considered an invasive species. I would have no qualms about taking a tree for axe handles. And any remaining wood would be great in the fireplace.

Since you're another NW boy; have you ever done anything with vine maple? I made a linen backed self bow once but I never tried it for tool handles.

The only thing I've done with vine maple is make a lid lifter for my dutch oven. It's quite hard and strong wood. Seems like it would be difficult to find a piece large enough to get a good grain. I've thought recently about tapping one just to see what the sap is like.

Interesting note, the town of Maple Valley where I live used to be named Vine Maple Valley. The Post Office shortened the name a century ago.

Back