Opinions of Buck's Kitchen Knives

I have none but am actively looking when I can find a bargain. But I do use Bucks in the kitchen! I would love to see a basic set with plain handles but in super steels if that makes sense..

my wife loves the set I got her. she even let me donate away her set of garbage knives she had since she was a young single gal.

I only have to touch up the buck set once in awhile. they hold a very good edge for kitchen and food prep type use tasks. they do need to be cleaned and washed right away as they tend to stain easily. also rust spot if left wet and sitting...which she does. easy polish back to clean and shiny but point to be said.

now you're gonna have to forgive me but I can't help myself.....;)

its "y'all" though as a contraction of "you" and "all".......so y'all....but my silicon valley programming running phone autocorrect thinks its ya'll as well. I always have to retype to correct it.....

okay I got my OCD out of the way on y'all...thanks for tolerating it Sir.:D

Are all of Bucks kitchen knives basic 420? Has any ever been made in upgraded steel?

I'll get hammered here for this, but I'm entitled to my opinion, and since you asked....

This might be my biggest Buck disappointment. Years ago in a thread on Buck's kitchen knives I commented that I didn't like the way they were ground. The hollow grind didnt really bother me, but it was where they started the grind on the blade. I mentioned I wasn't a fan of serrated steak knives either.

I have a very nice set of full flat ground kitchen knives that have served me well for many years. Thin stock, laser sharp, well balanced cutting machines...

Buck's set with elk came back on the market so I took the plunge. An expensive lesson, unfortunately. The steak knives are fine, the fork is fine, the bread knife is great, and the spreader is great!

The chef knife and paring knives are hard to deal with to the point I don't even try to use them any more.

Cutting cheese blocks, raw potatoes, carrots, or anything else that's dense enough to not get out of it's own way is far, far more frustrating than getting my nice, thin, flat ground knives.

So I have a bread knife, spreader, and fork that I use, and steak knives that aren't exceptionally better than the others I have.

I tell myself I should get rid of them since they aren't used, but they're gorgeous so I dont know...

The wife has the same opinion. She loves the spreader and bread knife but really hates how the chef and pairing knives cut. She reaches past these to get to the others.

Alright, I got my fire suit on, start flaming!

I'll get hammered here for this, but I'm entitled to my opinion, and since you asked....

This might be my biggest Buck disappointment. Years ago in a thread on Buck's kitchen knives I commented that I didn't like the way they were ground. The hollow grind didnt really bother me, but it was where they started the grind on the blade. I mentioned I wasn't a fan of serrated steak knives either.

I have a very nice set of full flat ground kitchen knives that have served me well for many years. Thin stock, laser sharp, well balanced cutting machines...

Buck's set with elk came back on the market so I took the plunge. An expensive lesson, unfortunately. The steak knives are fine, the fork is fine, the bread knife is great, and the spreader is great!

The chef knife and paring knives are hard to deal with to the point I don't even try to use them any more.

Cutting cheese blocks, raw potatoes, carrots, or anything else that's dense enough to not get out of it's own way is far, far more frustrating than getting my nice, thin, flat ground knives.

So I have a bread knife, spreader, and fork that I use, and steak knives that aren't exceptionally better than the others I have.

I tell myself I should get rid of them since they aren't used, but they're gorgeous so I dont know...

The wife has the same opinion. She loves the spreader and bread knife but really hates how the chef and pairing knives cut. She reaches past these to get to the others.

Alright, I got my fire suit on, start flaming!
I don't find them as bad as you do but it's an opinion deal and I went from old box store brand with poor steel and geometry to these, so for me and wife an upgrade....but it's all relative.

my wife loves the set I got her. she even let me donate away her set of garbage knives she had since she was a young single gal.

I only have to touch up the buck set once in awhile. they hold a very good edge for kitchen and food prep type use tasks. they do need to be cleaned and washed right away as they tend to stain easily. also rust spot if left wet and sitting...which she does. easy polish back to clean and shiny but point to be said.

now you're gonna have to forgive me but I can't help myself.....;)

its "y'all" though as a contraction of "you" and "all".......so y'all....but my silicon valley programming running phone autocorrect thinks its ya'll as well. I always have to retype to correct it.....

okay I got my OCD out of the way on y'all...thanks for tolerating it Sir.:D

I started with y'll and then ya'll... I think it should be "yall"....:D:D:D:D

I really like the 7 piece Buck set I got about a year ago 420hc hollow ground blades and all! Lol. They have the black paperstone handles. I didn’t get the steak knives because of the serrated blade, I’d rather have non serrated. I can honestly say the 8 inch chef knife thin sliced brisket better than anything I’ve ever used and they keep an edge fairly decent and easy to sharpen. The handle works real good for me and the wood block they store in is nice as well. I would recommend them and thinking of gifting a set for a wedding.

Our previous set was a L C Germain. Which had a full flat grind Sabatier. It cut ok and we used these for 10 years. I liked the 6" boning blade and a 8" carving blade. Which this set does not have. Both flat grind. So, I purchased Buck's Empress Trio set which has a good 6"
boning blade and a 9" carver. Both work very well and are hollow grind. My wife does all the vegetables (she has a lot of use with that Sabatier) and I cut the meat because of my meat cutting experience. I'm a traditional meat cutter and I'll bone & trim a brisket w/ a 6" boning and carve the brisket and turkey with the 9" carver. The top knife being the 9'' Empress Trio carver and the bottom knife the 6" boning. DM
cuttingB.jpg

Bucks current kitchen set, we have found work well and hold a decent edge, right along with some good brand names found today at say, Bed, Bath and Beyond. We hand wash them and dry them right then. She has run them through the dish washer as well with no adverse effects. The handles feel comfortable and stay in your hand. It could be the manner I sharpen ours. They stay sharp for one month, maybe a week more after a full sharpening. At the 1st of each month (no my wife doesn't have to nag me) I'll get them out and check each one. If
they need attention I can usually just give them some back-honing. Remove the burr and they are good for another month. If the edge is
rolled or shows chips I'll give them a full sharpening on Norton's fine India, 320 grit. Kitchen knives are made to be easily sharpen and hold a decent edge. Even commercial grade knives are economy minded and usually have a blade similar to 420 steel. The Empress Trio set above certainly is upper end with a blade of 440C and micarta handles. I can recommend both these kitchen sets. DM

Last edited:
Thanks for the info guys! (that's midwestern for "y'all")

I too have been thinking of getting a set of these.

I'm a bit partial to carbon steel knives tho'. We have a set of the "old hickory wood" knives that's older than me. Those things sharpen up easy and even though they patina, I think they still look fine. That's character, besides gramps used those!

Years of dealing with cheap stainless kitchen knives that wouldn't hold an edge or sharpen well, my opinion of carbon vs stainless was formed and... well, you get old and set in your ways....

But I too use my Bucks in the kitchen. I agree if they made something at a lower price point, (maybe in 5160) I would be on it. I have read some of the forums on kitchen knives and there seems to be a large untapped market for quality carbon steel.... Put the right grind on it, one that's easy to sharpen.

The Pathfinder makes a great orange and grapefruit slicer! But I think the high hollow doesn't work on veggies and such. It's interesting that Buck's French knife is ground the way it is. I didn't know.

Only experience I have with Bucks kitchen knives are the spreaders. Only complaint I have are rust spots. They get treated (abused) the same as the rest of our knives and these are the only ones that get spots.

The rest of my knives are Henckles and Wusthofs.

If I knew then what I know now. I’d save my money and buy Dexter Russel knives. Specifically from their sani safe line. They are dishwasher safe. Are extremely inexpensive and cut the same as much more expensive knives.

Im happy with ours, as others it was an upgrade from a cheap set we had gotten many years ago. I do prefer a 6-8" boning type knife for most work, which both were in our old set but not in the Buck set. But i did buy a Buck harvest series boning knife and rehandled it to match the set, more upsweep in the blade than i care for but it does fine.

Really like the spreader and the "chef" knife, fork as well. Personally i don't mind the serrated steak knife as they will stay sharper longer.

I have one of the chef's knives and so far it has been a great blade for me. The blade has stayed sharp after many food preps (slicing meat and chopping veggies) as well as prepping a pork shoulder. Another plus was I do love the reddish tone of the wood handles that gives it a pretty good flare. :)

Here's the Empress Trio set, model 200. Buck's first kitchen set. This one is from 1973 and these came with a walnut display box. Shown is the 4" paring
knife and the 6" boning blade. These are not easy to find with the display box. DM
EmpressTrio1.jpg

Last edited:
Back