Opinions of Buck's Kitchen Knives

Here is a early Buck steak knife set, from 1978. The Windsor set, model 206. These came in a lined wooden chest. They have 440C blades and maroon micarta handles. These being from the Royalty Line. If you'll recall the 'House of Windsor' came into being from King George V in 1917... DM
windsor.jpg

No experience with the new Buck cutlery but I’m 1000% with DM on the Empress Trio set.

100_2765.jpg

100_2780.jpg

I don’t have a problem with serrated steak knives either.

image_zpsfzbpnjej.jpeg

I have a set from 09. I am going to buy 4 large paring knives to replace my serrated steak knives. I think the plain edge works better on steak than serrated. Serrated tends to tear the meat and plain edge slices. That said I like the rest of my set.

On my 9" Empress carver I took it to my x coarse diamond stone and thinned it's thick semi-hollow grind. This thinned it's primary grind
and I took off some shoulder from the upper flats. This helped it to preform.
It is rare when I find a black micarta square handle model 200 set. DM

. I am going to buy 4 large paring knives to replace my serrated steak knives. I think the plain edge works better on steak than serrated. Serrated tends to tear the meat and plain edge slices. That said I like the rest of my set.

Personally I'm not fond of either paring knife.
While i do prefer a clean cut on a steak, i sometimes use my boning knife being cautios to cut only the steak as to not dull it. Most people cut the plate more than the steak and you would have to constantly sharpen them. Besides the tearing the serrarions do is nothing compared to once it is in your mouth.

Why not just take the serrations off the steak knives if you dont like them.

st8yd st8yd , yes me too. I still see a 6" boning blade in some kitchen sets but not a 9" carver. Some manufacturers offer the longer carver separately. Their thinking may have been that the Sabatier is a 8".? DM

An old thin blade 121 sees a lot of use in my kitchen. It’s a challenge keeping it out of the dishwasher.

An old thin blade 121 sees a lot of use in my kitchen. It’s a challenge keeping it out of the dishwasher.

Idk if this is the type of situation your referring to but if I use one of my knives for food prep and don't wash it right away it ends up in the dishwasher. No matter how many times I tell em the fiance and mother in law insist on putting them in there and they don't get why I get mad. Luckly I've always caught it b4 it's ran. That's why I haven't even considered a nice set. Between those two it wouldn't last. Cutting up crap on the decorative GLASS cutting board and stuff like that.:confused::rolleyes:

Dave those sets you have are awesome. I wouldn't want to use them, just show em off.:D

Thanks Brhowser87. I don't use the ones I took pictures of. I have spares that I use. I purchase them in what ever condition I find them. Then if I can match up a set, that's a plus. I'll get a photo posted of some of those. DM

Getting a bit off topic but since eveled mentioned it I too use other, non-cutlery Bucks in the kitchen. In addition the the Empress Trio set I use a 535 Moose Skinner with the coated S35VN blade, Silver Creek 0220BLS folding fillet (great for melons) and a Buck Diamondback 476. May add one of my older 120s to the drawer as well. Never hurts to have a little extra blade on occasion.

Idk if this is the type of situation your referring to but if I use one of my knives for food prep and don't wash it right away it ends up in the dishwasher.

Yep. That’s what I was talking about. Wife and kids are brutal on nice things. Knives included. In the dishwasher or worse just left soaking in the sink. Nobody is perfect, so I’m not too hard on them.

Ok, here is 2 knives from the Empress set with square, black micarta handles, the paring & carver. The middle one, the 6" boning has sanded/ radiused, maroon micarta handles. Which is the more common found. The 9" carver & 6" boning get used. The 4" paring not much because my wife uses those from the 900 set. All these pictured have 440C blades. Some real history on Buck's kitchen knives. DM
EmpressTrio2.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Brhowser87. I don't use the ones I took pictures of. I have spares that I use. I purchase them in what ever condition I find them. Then if I can match up a set, that's a plus. I'll get a photo posted of some of those. DM

That makes sense. If you find a single knife that doesn't have any matching or a box that's the one you use in the kitchen. And keep those killer intact sets to show off to those of us who don't have a clue (me).:D

Yep. That’s what I was talking about. Wife and kids are brutal on nice things. Knives included. In the dishwasher or worse just left soaking in the sink. Nobody is perfect, so I’m not too hard on them.

Yea I'm more hard on them then I should be cause there's no reason to act like savages.:D I bought a victorinox santoku at a restaurant supply store for myself, put it in a nice plastic clip case, one of the Vikings I live with probably ground it into that glass cutting board and rolled my edge BAD.:mad::D

Good kitchen knives are without a doubt worth the money, but should be maintained by someone who knows and cares.:eek::D

I bought into two sets of the Paperstone last year when the factory ran the 30% off sale. They sure are nice looking knives! I really like Paperstone as a product and have a few folders and spreaders from the Travelmate sets with it on them. As far as the kitchen knives go, I may be in the minority because I am not really a fan of the shape of the handles. I would like to see the corners on the grip be less square as in more rounded corners along the length. I may "grow a pair" and try to do some customizitation of the Paperstone with my laminate trimmer with a round over bit. The small paring knife is a bit "different" too. The blade seems too short for the length and size of the handle.

Its hard to purchase some things without touching and feeling them. I kept my knives because they look so nice and they weren't too expensive but I am sure that if one jumped and was unhappy with their purchase that Buck would let you return them.

Back