Order of the Canoe

So, I'm a big lover of peanut knives and really enjoy the Cult of the Peanut thread. I also enjoy canoes. There's just something about them visually, the way they feel perfect in my hand, and that great main spear blade. I thought I would start a canoe thread because I'd like to see pictures of canoes, read about why people like or don't like canoes, and hear about what sort of cutting tasks people use their canoes for. This thread is for anything canoe-related! Canoes aren't as popular as other patterns, so this thread may fizzle out fast, but I hope that we can keep it alive and spread the love of canoes!
Alex
Thanks for starting this thread, Alex! :thumbup: I'm apparently quite fond of canoes, since I have more of them than any other pattern, so this thread has turned into a fantastic Christmas gift for me! :cool: Seeing your amber bone CV Case, as well as those of several others, has got me thinking that I've got to move that from my "wish list" at a couple of dealers to my "shopping cart" at one of them!

Paul Not to pun, but I find myself in the same boat as you:D just too much bolster on this pattern for my taste. Mind you, I think you can find shadow Canoes.

Regards, Will
I have personally benefitted from Will's distaste for canoes! :eek: He kindly sent me this splendid Rough Rider gunstock checkered bone canoe, as well as a small Hen & Rooster beauty in verdant green pick bone. They remain a couple of my favorite examples. Thanks again, Will! :thumbup:
tIlxC93.jpg

5IUle2s.jpg

I'm another who has never taken to carrying a Canoe pattern pocketknife. I do own these two Case Canoes; a 1999 with Chestnut bone handles and blade etched CV steel, and a 1974 with standard bone handles and carbon steel (before Case began marketing them as "CV" and with the blade etch). I have gifted a number of Canoe patterns over the years and they were well received by the recipients. OH

Case_62131_CV_1999.jpg

Case_62131_Canoe_-_1974.JPG
Old Hunter, when I grow up I want to find a couple of canoes just like yours!! :eek::thumbup: Those are both highly desirable! I thoroughly enjoy several of Case's chestnut jigged bone knives, and will be on the hunt for a canoe with those covers, and your other canoe has the rich red bone for which Case is legendary! Wow!! :thumbup:

Two of my most beautifully handled knives are canoes that were very generously gifted to me. The Baby Butterbean came from Crazy Canuck and the Remington Canoe (named Pirogue) from 5K Qs (Gary). The figured bone and bolsters on the Case are opulent and elegant. The burl wood of the Remington is a maze for my eyes; I simply get lost looking into the rich texture.

I'll be honest though, they don't get carried often; not for any reason other than I've only been carrying a Peanut and #14TC exclusively for the past month or two.

33cgv4P.jpg

I'll be keeping a keen eye on this thread, as I'm sure many wonderful examples will be exhibited.
Shawn, I really like your photo of those canoes; wonderful detail on the foreground canoes, and then incredible scope as the background fades to the buildings on the horizon! :cool: I also think "opulent" is a spot-on word choice for describing your baby butterbean.

This is a fine looking user, Gevonovich!
I was just taking pictures till now, but maybe I'll give it some cutting soon.
Your Indian's line of sight seems different from mine?

That's a stunner, nifebrite! :thumbup: I'm not very good at Case dating; what year is your model? It certainly pre-dates the current amber bone CV model, right?

Sunflower version.
CanoeXX_zpstspslx8i.jpg
How do you like that one, Vinifera? I recently saw that one offered at a deep discount at SOME dealer; I wish my memory would be more cooperative! Yours looks great! :thumbup:

I've got several canoes, including the Single blade, bare headed canoe built by Jeff Mutz. Most of my canoes are Bulldogs made in Germany and I have one 4-blade "Gunboat" by Fight'n Rooster (made in the same place as the Bulldogs I believe). I missed getting one of the GEC canoes. I have 3 or 4 Case canoes including a gold lip pearl and one with Paua (abalone) covers.

Some pics:
knives110304-002.jpg

knives1103-003.jpg

knives080710005.jpg

knives0610002-2.jpg

Ignore that Copperlock on the bottom there, but it does have a "canoeish" bolster on the blade end...

Ed J
Congrats on all those fine, distinctive canoes, Ed!!! :thumbup::thumbup:

I only have one canoe but it do have a couple of AG Russell's War Eagle Brand small canoes which if I remember correctly are larger than a Baby Butterbean. I have to say that I am a recent convert. I don't know that they will replace my love of stockman but they do get a good amount of pocket time.
I've looked at the War Eagle canoes on numerous occasions, but have yet to order one; your "testimonial" is persuasive, jsg71! :cool: Any chance you'll post a photo of your War Eagles here??

These are my only canoes. Mostly I like the fat handles of the Schrade IXL!!

F1zAwmA.jpg
stef142, those seem like two very desirable canoes to have! :thumbup: The Hen and Rooster looks like a red pick bone big brother to the green H&R mini-canoe I posted above, and I have a Schrade I*XL very similar to yours that's one of my favorite canoes. I won it in a GAW here (thanks, cchu518), and when it arrived, I discovered that its serial number was my birthday in DDMM format! :D:thumbup:
ctkERzn.jpg

KrjhY4b.jpg

This count?

31771053555_9c8823fa3a_c.jpg
Well heck, I didn't know the Canittler counted. I have an older Rough Rider Canoe too but no picture.

IMHO, those Canal Street cannitlers should count double, dynamicmoves & Rick!! :thumbup: (Same goes for gunboats.) Here's a pic of my Rough Rider lockback cannitler that I hold in high esteem :p:
8b2SAuA.jpg

Congrats on your variety of splendid examples of the pattern, deskil!! :cool:

I've got one of those Colt canoes and it is a very nice example. The Colts are quite good across the range. I like them.

Ed J
I agree with Ed that Colt pocket knives are very well made; I'm sad to hear that they're no longer being produced (at least with the Colt name). Here are a couple of Colt canoes I have. One is titanium-coated carbon steel with black G-10 covers; the other is a Colt stag canoe that I think looks fantastic (but I might be biased :rolleyes:).
PbcXNRQ.jpg

B8ncCN7.jpg

Here are a few of my Rough Rider canoes. Excellent users.

Alex
That's a fine foursome of RR canoes, Alex! :cool: The one on the left is exactly like my very first canoe, part of a set of 12 assorted RR patterns all in amber jigged bone. I resolved, after their arrival, that I'd carry each one for a week to see what I considered the pros and cons of each pattern, but somehow the canoe wouldn't leave my pocket for about 3 weeks. Somehow that eventually led to me having nearly 3 dozen canoes at the moment! :eek::confused::eek: Here are pics of my first canoe and a nearly twin lockback version:
lj6z6mS.jpg

L2Uer47.jpg

Long gone, but I loved the corn cob jigging on this one.

Wow, Bob, that is a sumptuous example of a canittler! :thumbup: Do you remember what shapes the 2 secondary blades were?

- GT

Thanks, Bob. I hope you and yours have a Feliz Navidad and a safe, healthy, and happy New Year! :thumbup:

- GT

That's a stunner, nifebrite! :thumbup: I'm not very good at Case dating; what year is your model? It certainly pre-dates the current amber bone CV model, right?

- GT

Thanks, GT.
The gentleman who sold it to me dated it to the year 1981.
It has the number 62131 on the small blade, which I guess is the Canoe pattern number (?),
and five stars between Case xx and USA. The latter should be the tang stamp for the whole 1980's decade...?
I'm enjoying this thread, lots of nice Canoes!

Last edited:
How do you like that one, Vinifera? I recently saw that one offered at a deep discount at SOME dealer; I wish my memory would be more cooperative! Yours looks great! :thumbup:

Thanks GT I really like it and have carried it every day. I purchased mine from the big Case dealer in Missouri when it was available for the Christmas discount to pair up with the Amber Bone CV I already have. Happy Holidays.

5K Qs,

I actually haven't taken the time to get set up to be able to post pictures but I have the stag and the bone handled versions.

I like the size which is just a bit bigger than the peanut which I also love. The one thing that has stood out in particular is the shape of the pen blade which has a more pronounced point. For some reason this seemed more useful to me than others which is why I tried it in the first place.

I have one in my pocket as I type this which has helped wrap Christmas gifts tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone know what year the Canoe pattern first appeared?
Been through the knife catalog sticky, either I'm blind and missed it, or it is not in the catalogs.

Anyone know what year the Canoe pattern first appeared?
Been through the knife catalog sticky, either I'm blind and missed it, or it is not in the catalogs.

I think that's a good question, Steve. I've tried unsuccessfully to track that down, too.

While I wait for an answer, I'll post photos of more of my budget canoes.
Here's a Chinese Uncle Henry
3nKmErI.jpg

and a Chinese Old Timer
sbBBfzx.jpg

and a small and a large version of Chinese Imperial canoes.
303C45F.jpg

Just for variety, here's something Rough Rider calls a locking dogleg mini-canoe:
iAfmnMl.jpg

- GT

Some great looking knives in this thread. For what ever reason the canoe is one pattern I have never owned.

If the Cannitler qualifies, then I submit this, one of my favorite traditionals -

D71_5280.JPG

And the wonderful little butterbean that I received from Mr. Thomason several years ago after winning one of his contests -

DSC_6221.JPG

best

mqqn

mqqn, those are a couple of fine variations on the "standard" canoe pattern! :thumbup: I can see why that Canal Street cannitler is one of your favorites; that is a phenomenal pattern with toasty stag covers! :eek::cool::thumbup:

Since it's Saturday, I'll move "Stag Saturday" to this thread and post my stag canoes. (I apologize that a couple of these are "reruns" of canoes I posted earlier in this thread, but I DO enjoy my stag canoes! :rolleyes:)
Rough Rider stag canoe; not a "classic" stag appearance, but I like it nonetheless:
pynhjR0.jpg

In fact, I liked my RR stag canoe well enough that I bought three "back-ups" (some of which have been given/traded away):
FGz8G7F.jpg

This Buck was my first stag canoe, and probably has covers I like the best of my stag canoes:
KIJDrdr.jpg

Here's another shot of the Schrade-Wostenholm I*XL stag canoe I showed in a previous post (thanks cchu):
XL7VOuR.jpg

Here's a Colt I also included in a previous post in this thread:
gERxSpV.jpg

I also ordered a "back-up" Colt stag canoe, once I saw how nice the first one was:
ayYhxyK.jpg

I think that's a complete inventory of my stag canoes. I'll close this post with a wood canoe that I also think has very attractive covers. It's a Remington I picked up at a gun & knife show:
sdVdlKB.jpg

- GT

Canittlers may be one of my favorite patterns. The prices for CSC work has risen so much I fear it will be sometime before I can afford one. :( But, it'll happen yet. ;)
Thanks, Neal
Merry Christmas all!

Wow. Just wow! Check this out! Our very own Gasman1 has gifted me this superb example of a canoe! It's a Queen Winterbottom. [emoji4][emoji106] Gasman1 thinks that perhaps it dates from the 1970s. It is quite different from my other canoes, and I love it! A thousand thanks to Gasman1 for his wonderful generosity. This Queen canoe arrived today, just in time for Christmas. No matter what I receive tomorrow gift-wise, this canoe will be my favorite Christmas gift. It is made even sweeter because Gasman1 sent me this canoe without even knowing me. This is what is so wonderful and humbling about The Porch. Kindness and generosity abound here. Thank you, Gasman1, and thank you to The Porch! I love this place and everyone here! Merry Christmas to everyone! [emoji319][emoji1449]

Alex

Nice looking Canoe Alex, a great gift from Gasman1.

GT that Buck stag Canoe is awesome.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Wow. Just wow! Check this out! Our very own Gasman1 has gifted me this superb example of a canoe! It's a Queen Winterbottom. [emoji4][emoji106] Gasman1 thinks that perhaps it dates from the 1970s. It is quite different from my other canoes, and I love it! A thousand thanks to Gasman1 for his wonderful generosity. This Queen canoe arrived today, just in time for Christmas. No matter what I receive tomorrow gift-wise, this canoe will be my favorite Christmas gift. It is made even sweeter because Gasman1 sent me this canoe without even knowing me. This is what is so wonderful and humbling about The Porch. Kindness and generosity abound here. Thank you, Gasman1, and thank you to The Porch! I love this place and everyone here! Merry Christmas to everyone! [emoji319][emoji1449]
Alex
Congrats on the amazing Queen canoe, Alex! :cool: Is that a single spring model?
Very thoughtful and generous gift, Dave! :thumbup:

Nice looking Canoe Alex, a great gift from Gasman1.

GT that Buck stag Canoe is awesome.

Merry Christmas everyone.
Thanks, Vinifera. :)

Speaking of awesome, wazu013 has got a fleet of truly awesome Case canoes! :thumbup:

- GT

Back