OT: handguns, chime in with opinions please

Good point Gregg, I'd forgotten about frame size. Course, they have those small chopped 45's now...

Skag, no one wants to get struck by a modern round. I've got a few particles in my forehead from a richochet.

munk

Bobwhite,

Sitting here on a Saturday waiting for another staff meeting:barf: I have glanced at this thread off and on, and the advice is what you paid for it.

Try and find out what you shoot well. I tried Glocks, put about 1,800 rds through a couple and I don't do well with them. I have friend who shoots his Glocks better than anything else. I feel like I shoot a Hi-Power extremely well but the tale of the timer and target tell me that I shoot a Beretta:barf:, HK USP, ,CZ 75 series or 1911 better in the 9mm format.

I am a 1911 kind of guy. They are flatter than most other handguns. They do not hold as many rounds but how many are you going to fire with a handgun w/o going for cover (or at least concealment)?

I have hunted with 9mm, .357, .44, and .45. There is a difference on targets. The closest analogy is to a fight. If you hit somebody in the head they either drop right away or shake it off and keep coming, 9mm. A groin strike stops but doesn't drop the opponent instantly with a few seconds delay between strike to the drop, a .45.

We use to go out to the Cal. desert to hunt jack rabbits and coyotes with handguns. The differene in trajectory out to usable ranges (100-150 meters max) doesn't make a difference. The accuracy of the particular pistol/ammuniton made a far greater difference in the ability to connect.

If you get one then get two. Train and break in both. Keep one outside the home with the ability to get it quickly. If you use the one you have you will loose possession, duration unknown. You may then have a greater need for defense after the fact of the 1st use. I try and keep spares of everything. This includes broken boots, etc. that someone responsible will ship/mail to me.

S/F, Mike

I seem to do pretty will with my S&W .44 Mag. and it doesn't seem to make much difference at 75 yards whether they are Spl's or Mags. The old Mod. 29 does it for me. A bit heavier than a 1911 which I llike very much. but I don't have one right now.:)

Well for me I have an "Urban Safari" rig with two Taurus 9mm, consecutive serial numbers, blue steel, gold trim and rosewood grips. Sam Andrews leather is wonderful, but this rig with these guns is NOT what I would consider good street carry. But it is beautiful!

http://www.andrewsleather.com/

He makes a nice fast draw range holster called a "Hybrid Saddle."

Also a really neat "Car Jacker Crossdraw" that you can put on your seatbelt while you are in your car, then put the gun in your regular holster when you leave the car. This is good if you have to quickly get your belt holster or pocket gun out and you would otherwise be hindered by your seatbelt.

But my all day, every day pocket pistols are either a Glock 26 9mm or a Kel-Tec .32, leather "Pocket Holsters" also from Sam Andrews, each loaded with Cor Bons.

Unless there is a metal detector in my path, one of these is always in my right front pocket. CCW "toting" licenses are availble in Georgia.

For backpacking and hunting backup, I like the S&W 629 with 6 inch barrel 44 mag stainless.

My House Gun is a 12 guage Hi Standard Police model 10B. It has a good, bright flashlight and can easily be held in one hand with the swivel butt against your bicep. Bought it at a gun show for $360 several years ago.

http://www.securityarms.com/20010315/galleryfiles/0700/700.htm

Fortunately I have never had to use any of these guns in a "personal" situation and hope that I never, ever have to.

Anyone who disagrees with me about ballistic matters is a dangerous man, who should be watched, or shot outright.

Rusty; did I say that? Talk to me about meds...

.. ....

I used to spend my time in the California desert and I've shot some jack rabbits and snakes. It always breaks my heart to return and see so many of the places I used to visit now off limits and banned.

I went to a handgun, not because I'm a hot shot, but because it was harder, and a rifle too easy for rabbits. We used to carry Garands, Mini 14s, AR's... M1A's.. for jacks. You could walk along a ridge and pot shoot the basin below as you traveled. Like a shooting gallery. They'd break out of a creosote clump and start racing and bobbing along. There'd be shots available from 30 to 200 yards. In one of my favorite spots I saw a cougar once. I think the easy pickings after I left from a day of shooting attracted him there.

If I wanted a semi auto today to do (almost) it all I'd get a 10mm. For pure defense the .45
For all around a wheel gun is my choice.

munk

I'll stick with my antique .38. I killed one skunk with it and figure it'll kill another if need be.

Bill Marsh

Checked out the AndrewsLeather site. Pretty nice outfits.

I don't see a price list. Is this a case of "if you have to ask, you can't afford it" ?

I liked the gunbelt with loops. Already have a good leather holster, several in fact for my .357 magnum wheelgun, but my gunbelt no longer fits me.:(

Originally posted by Bill Marsh
Ultimate concealed carry for accountants and businessmen?

I bet this would come in handy when the business negotiations get tense. :p :D

I'm not that sophisticated on bullet choice, trajectory etc. I do believe that if I have a big bullet, and I hit the target, that I will probably make a big hole.

I had a nice Glock 9mm that was stolen when my house was burglarized some time ago, then I decided to get a Sig 45 that I have gotten pretty fond of.

I don't carry a gun. I had a friend tell me years ago that I shouldn't carry a gun. I asked him why and he said, "Because you will use it". He was right. I haven't carried a gun since. I have aged a little, and gotten more sense, maybe I will start carrying again.

Y'know, Marsh, as a daytime numbers geek, That briefcase rig really appeals to me. It just needs a khukuri on the other side, or two.

My Uzi has to be taken out of my briefcase and the barrel screwed on, but then you extend the stock and get much improved accuracy.

I like Clint Smith's idea of the ideal home defense piece hanving wheels and a lanyard.

BOY OH BOY, THIS IS GETTING TO BE QUITE A DISCUSSION!

O.K. so I've got some 30 years of experience and am a police / civilian qualified range officer / instructor so I'll briefly add my $.02 :
Use a gun that fits your hand and range test if possible.
I consider Glocks single action with a trigger mounted safety and I don't recommend them for beginners.
I love the 1911 / Browning (my daily carry) but they have their own manual-of-arms. Cocked and locked is not the way to go for the untrained. How much time are you willing to devote to the subject?
Double action first shot makes life simpler when blood pressure goes up and the heartbeat starts racing (fine motor control goes out the window). All you do is press the "go button".
I'm not really familiar with the H&K. I like the Sig.
Whatever you choose, practice!

mosh
:)

Lots of great info guys, thanks to all. I did not get out to try anything out this weekend. I talked with my wife and she said I should join the local range where there are rentals and shoot those until I find the one I like best. With a membership, the rentals are free, you just buy the ammo and targets. Then I will also have a regular place to shoot, when I do get one. I think that is what I will do. It may be a month or two before that happens though.

All the discussion about various configurations and ballistics, although of interest to gun enthusiasts, is really not very relevant if the ONLY concern is home defense.

If what you fear is other than a residential burglar, like maybe a home invasion attack, or a machete wielding maniac, the first defense would be to change your life-style and move to a less stressful environment.

If you are really defending your life in your home, your shots will most likely be fired at a range of less than 20 feet and probably in the dark.

You will already have the advantage because the burglar, even if he is armed, will not be holding his weapon in his hand as he needs both hands to do his job.

Your main concern should be accessibility, reliability, and stopping power of the weapon. In other words, can your get to your gun quickly, does it always fire when you pull the trigger, and is it of a large enough caliber to disable the target even if he is hit in a non-lethal area.

Because of these factors I always liked the S&W .357 Magnum. There are tons of these guns available on the used market because police departments across the country traded in their S&W revolvers for .9mm Sigs and Glocks.

Guys,
Sam Andrews is a friend & makes some great holsters.Had him make me knife shoulder rig,said he had never made one like I wanted
before!Last time I saw him,asked if I still had it,shook his head said,"Jim,you worry me"! Only knife rig I ever made like that!!
jim(Saint):cool:

That's why I hang onto my antique .38. It's sole purpose is home defense. And as mentioned, I killed one skunk with it and figure I can kill another if he tries to invade Titanic II.

I think picking a weapon based upon whether you expect a home invasion, machette, or robber is into the ridiculous. Any of the weapons Bobwhite mentioned in this thread will do fine.

Killing a skunk is a smelly business.

munk

I gave the skunk more chances than he deserved and he kept thumbing his nose at me. It finally got down to him or me and he didn't have an antique .38.

My mom woke up in New Mexico when we were camping and there was a skunk going through the fire pit. We used to sleep in the open, just our bags or blankets.

Anyway, skunk senses Mom and turns and demonstrates hind end. Mom remains quiet. Skunk eases off condition red.

We used to see baby skunks in our Orange Grove. They are about the cutest things you can imagine- cuter than kittens.

munk

Originally posted by munk
We used to see baby skunks in our Orange Grove. They are about the cutest things you can imagine- cuter than kittens.
munk

Baby possums are cuter than skunks and tastier. We have a pet possum named "Christian Slater." Possums have feet with oposable thumbs, trying to get him to carry a katne.

Did you ever realize how much Christian Slater looks like a possum?

Back