Our "Front Porch" ....

Interesting! I'll have to research them. Off to Audiogon! I use a Blue Circle power purifier. Some kind of passive . Used to have a PS Audio power regenerator but felt like it robbed the dynamics. I've always wished for a direct line to my music room but at least it's very near the fuse box and not on a shared circuit with the kitchen or any large appliances for that matter! Plus this house is only 10 years old so the power lines are good (I think)!

They do. Especially in high current draws like Amps. That was One of the beauties of the Kalgros (cowgirls, we called them) straight thru circuitry, no filter on the power draw BUT oooh did they make a difference in sound!
Tube amps are particularly susceptable to subtle affectations cables, current, field effect, skin effect, impedence matching etc.
When it all comes together .... nothing sounds sweeter in the mids and up.

Check out PuristAudio fluid filled cables if you ever get a chance, I liked Kimber and Purist during my tube days.

PM sent;)

Last edited:
MAN!!!! Talking audio and knives in the same forum????:D My head is going to explode!!! AWESOME!:D:thumbup: I love the Front Porch!!!!

We truly need to all meet up one day. My schedule has me tied down right now, but I'm really trying to make Blade fit into my plans.

Bummer is...an epic adventure I really wanted to experience this month is looking like a no go. It's a bummer, but I try to stay optimistic.

;)

Arnie Nudell, Mark Levinson, Audio Research Ref's and Classic 120 mono-blocks, Revel, Purist ....all in there.

Yikes! What a room. I see they used book shelf diffusion as the room treatment - all staggered.

Last edited:
maprik, thaat is a ridiculous room! that looks like the next best thing to a live concert.

For you audiophiles, would you recommend westone 4 earphones, or shure se535's? I'm trying to stay in the 300-400 range?

김원진;11709782 said:
maprik, thaat is a ridiculous room! that looks like the next best thing to a live concert.

For you audiophiles, would you recommend westone 4 earphones, or shure se535's? I'm trying to stay in the 300-400 range?

Sorry, don't know much about today's headphones. I still have a pair of Sennheizer 580s which I think are probably the most comfortable headphones ever made but they aren't sealed and don't do noise cancellation... Etymotics were the cats pajamas back in my headphone days...

Those HD580's are great. The Sennheiser HD600 open back are, IMO, the best money audiophile value @ about $500 new if you can still find them. You could probably locate an almost new set for considerably less. I even prefer them to the next edition HD650. From here on up the cost / benefit ratio is not in your favour I think. If you want noise cancel, you're going to have to sacrifice some accuracy in reproduction. Just an opinion for you.
B.

Last edited:
I follow on the heels of my friend, so I'm not very knowledgable on the subject. Quality in sound as welk as materials has always been a big thing for me and I've gone through a few headphones/earphones because I was a clutz and hello thrashed cords.

Appreciate the recommondations, I do have a pair of sennheisers(model name is lost on me). Looking to upgrade now :p

김원진;11710033 said:
I follow on the heels of my friend, so I'm not very knowledgable on the subject. Quality in sound as welk as materials has always been a big thing for me and I've gone through a few headphones/earphones because I was a clutz and hello thrashed cords.

Appreciate the recommondations, I do have a pair of sennheisers(model name is lost on me). Looking to upgrade now :p

Headphones are a very complex issue for me & one that must be tailored to the individual. Tonal comfort zone in headphones is a very personal perception but one constant to be avoided with respect to long term listening enjoyment is sonic fatigue. Avoiding "edge", which can be confused in short term audition, with clarity, is important. "Openness" creates that clarity, not accentuated high frequency. Too much bass "response" is also a killer. The HD600's I mentioned are worth an extensive audition IMO. I have a pair & also have installed a "Cardas" cable. They are suitable for any music genre due to their nice transparent openness & soundstage. I depend on them in an apartment/late night environment. ALWAYS audition well prior to a decision as you would with any higher end component. We all have our own sweet spot in tonal appreciation. THEN we have "Electro$tatic$". Don't get me started on THOSE! :D
B.

I'm liking the thought that went into designing that room, Map.

As for headphones, you guys are teaching me something. I have not even considered personal listening options. I guess I need to slow down a bit and enjoy some of the finer things...just never seems to be enough time.

As one might imagine my sons are burgeoning audiophile s now. I have gifted sennheiser and shure headphones to both. They are both great makes. Both studio grade makers.
I can get model #s for anyone interested.
Stay away from ear buds and Beats

I'm not too far from Nashville...any of you land a recording contract or are in the area for some studio time give me shout...beverages of your choice consumed.

As one might imagine my sons are burgeoning audiophile s now. I have gifted sennheiser and shure headphones to both. They are both great makes. Both studio grade makers.
I can get model #s for anyone interested.
Stay away from ear buds and Beats

OMG!!! My 13 year old son wanted BEATS for Christmas. I listened to a pair at an airport kiosk. Seriously? $350? All I heard was WHOMP WHOMP WHOMP WHOMP WHOMP and some sizzly stuff.... Combined with compressed MP3 audio what the heck our we doing to our children?

I taught my son to download and copy uncompressed audio files to his iPod and bought him some Audio-Technica ATH-M50WH sealed HPs... Wow, great headphones for sealed portables!!! Blew my super expensive Bose noise cancelling headphones out of the water (the Bose are only for my frequent flying) but the ATs are really quiet and super comfy. I may borrow them on my next trip! He was impressed by the difference between the ATs and his usual apple buds... there is hope for him yet!!!

And just to come clean - that is NOT my basement audio room!!!:(

Headphones are a very complex issue for me & one that must be tailored to the individual. Tonal comfort zone in headphones is a very personal perception but one constant to be avoided with respect to long term listening enjoyment is sonic fatigue. Avoiding "edge", which can be confused in short term audition, with clarity, is important. "Openness" creates that clarity, not accentuated high frequency. Too much bass "response" is also a killer. The HD600's I mentioned are worth an extensive audition IMO. I have a pair & also have installed a "Cardas" cable. They are suitable for any music genre due to their nice transparent openness & soundstage. I depend on them in an apartment/late night environment. ALWAYS audition well prior to a decision as you would with any higher end component. We all have our own sweet spot in tonal appreciation. THEN we have "Electro$tatic$". Don't get me started on THOSE! :D
B.

Another serious Audiophile! Mention Cardas and my ears go up like my chihuahua's!!!

OMG!!! My 13 year old son wanted BEATS for Christmas. I listened to a pair at an airport kiosk. Seriously? $350? All I heard was WHOMP WHOMP WHOMP WHOMP WHOMP and some sizzly stuff.... Combined with compressed MP3 audio what the heck our we doing to our children?

I taught my son to download and copy uncompressed audio files to his iPod and bought him some Audio-Technica ATH-M50WH sealed HPs... Wow, great headphones for sealed portables!!! Blew my super expensive Bose noise cancelling headphones out of the water (the Bose are only for my frequent flying) but the ATs are really quiet and super comfy. I may borrow them on my next trip! He was impressed by the difference between the ATs and his usual apple buds... there is hope for him yet!!!

And just to come clean - that is NOT my basement audio room!!!:(

No worries on the basement photo. I assumed with all the unkept wiring it might not be yours.:)

As for the Beats and MP3s..it's simply marketing and convenience that creates demand for those, obviously not sound quality.

Back