Outrage: NYC DA Shakes Down Knife Retailers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Critter

Platinum Member
New Yorkers Being Deprived of Popular Pocket Knives

The New York County (Manhattan) District Attorney's office appears to be engaged in a shakedown of local businesses, forcing them to pay six-figure so-called "contributions" or risk unwarranted criminal penalties, in a move more like that of organized crime than the agency charged with protecting citizens, said a national group representing the rights of Americans who own and use pocket knives. Knife Rights Chairman, Doug Ritter, said, "the New York County District Attorney, Cyrus Vance, Jr. appears to have targeted legitimate, honest knife dealers, accused them of selling illegal 'gravity knives,' and threatening criminal prosecution if they don't pay up. The so-called "gravity knives" in question appear to be conventional one-handed and assisted-opening knives, which represent 80 percent of the pocket knives sold in the U.S. today." Some of the major retailers have reported agreed to six-figure settlements and have netted reportedly nearly two million dollars.

Knife Rights was instrumental in passing legislation last summer, in response to a misinterpretation of law by U.S Customs and Border Protection, that specifically excepted these common pocket knives used daily by millions of Americans from the definition of a switchblade under the Federal Switchblade Act. The legislation was supported by Customs and was passed by U.S. Congress, with strong bipartisan support, and signed into law by President PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER. on October 28, 2009.

Ritter said, "Given the passage of this legislation, the DA is attacking people who sell knives that were clearly defined by Congress as simple pocket knives, legislation that was supported by leading Democratic lawmakers such as Henry Waxman (D-CA), Charles Rangel (D-NY), David Obey (D-WI) and others. This action is not only unethical; it places Mr. Vance at odds with even liberal urban lawmakers and outside the mainstream on this issue."

Among the dozen or so businesses that have reported to have been targeted in New York City are Eastern Mountain Sports, Orvis, Paragon Sports, Lowe's and Home Depot. At least one out-of-state Internet retailer has been targeted.

You can view one of a number of news articles and images of the DA's Thursday afternoon news conference (held after this initial Knife Rights new release was sent out) here: http://bit.ly/ar7FLT

The six-figure so-called "contributions" are being made to a "public education fund" controlled by the DA in order to secure "deferred prosecution" agreements to avoid threatened criminal charges. Additional outrageous and over-reaching demands have also apparently been made to avoid prosecution.

Said Ritter, "This appears to be little more than extortion on the part of a District Attorney who appears determined to shake down honest businesses and remove from the New York market common tools used daily by New Yorkers in their homes, in business and while recreating. These are simple pocket knives, legitimate tools used every day by millions of law-abiding Americans."

Knife Rights' attorneys have been in contact with some of these companies and their lawyers. The DA seems primarily interested in bludgeoning these knife dealers into submission. Not all his targets have agreed to terms and Knife Rights is working to protect these retailers and their customers from this outrageous abuse of power.

The businesses shaken down so far have agreed to "cooperate," agreed to onerous terms of dubious merit and agreed to pay substantial so-called "contributions" to avoid further difficulties and risk even more significant defense costs and potential criminal penalties and fines, as unwarranted as they might be. To these corporations and business owners, it appears they view this shakedown by the DA as simply a cost of doing business in New York City. Said Ritter, "we expect to see this sort of corrupt behavior by the government in third-world countries, not in America. New Yorkers and all Americans should be outraged by this behavior."

Knife Rights urges any knife dealer who has already been served by the New York County DA to contact us immediately.

Based on information obtained so far, Knife Rights believes this may be only the first wave of such attacks on knife dealers by this DA, both in New York and elsewhere. We urge any knife dealer who is served papers, arrested or whose stock is seized by the DA to please contact us immediately. Knife Rights is prepared to assist dealers in fighting this reprehensible action by the DA.

Knife Rights is monitoring this situation in New York City vigilantly and will follow-up with more details as we can release them.

Knife Rights may be contacted at: nycity@KnifeRights.org or toll-free: 1-866-889-6268

Unbelievable. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come...

It really boils down to whether anyone wants to fight. Knife Rights is committed to fighting this, but if we don't receive support from knife owners nationwide, it makes it much more difficult. Fighting obscene actions such as this is not easy and it costs money. Knife enthusiasts have to join the fight and become active and put their money where their mouths are, because otherwise we will, indeed, end up as bad or worse than the UK and this could be sign of things to come. Ultimately, it takes money to fight the good fight. Join Knife Rights, make a donation, buy a raffle ticket. We need your support!

Let me show you guys a screen shot from the Press Conference that will help explain why this is a big deal:

image1.jpg

When a government uses twisted "facts" to create a publicity campaign then you've got a problem.

Fact 1) If you look at the Manhattan DA's Press Release the number of arrests in 2009 was 2,269 (5th paragraph). Yet somehow in this video the number has jumped to "more than 3000"

Fact 2) According to their definition of a "gravity knife" this may or may not be the case. but the rest of the United States doesn't seem think a manual folding knife is a "gravity knife." Obviously they make no mention of the numerous ownership exceptions for these laws.

Fact 3) This is simply a red herring. What knives were really used in these stabbings. Sensationalism sells.

The bottom line is that New York wants to police the entire country. This will affect everyone.

Also, anyone notice that fixed blade Ka-Bar? WTF...

Last edited:
...I think the New York DA would have a massive MI if he saw what I had on or about my person on any given day..

It's criminal extortion; plain and simple.

We've known about the criminal behavior of the NYC police for a long time on this topic.

It's going to be up to someone with enough clout to stand up for what's right. In other words, Home Depot or Lowes are going to have to sue for extortion in a federal court in order to get this BS stopped.

It's funny how one state/city is attacking our right to carry, while a neighboring state is going the other way. Yea, New Hamphshire! Boo, New York.

I support the right to arm bears.

It's criminal extortion; plain and simple.

We've known about the criminal behavior of the NYC police for a long time on this topic.

It's going to be up to someone with enough clout to stand up for what's right. In other words, Home Depot or Lowes are going to have to sue for extortion in a federal court in order to get this BS stopped.

Nice idea, but...............

You expect Home Depot or Lowes to risk millions in legal fees & potential Felony Convictions to save 0.001% of their sales?

I doubt that will happen.
Either those in NYC vote the morons out or they will have to live with it.

Personally, I will simply avoid spending dime one in NYC. :mad:

This is simply ridiculous.
This is the future of America, where each right will be taken away from us one by one while we can't do anything to stop it.

OK, how does this make sense, NY city law states the following exemption:

6. Possession of a switchblade or gravity knife for use while hunting,
trapping or fishing by a person carrying a valid license issued to him
pursuant to section 11-0713 of the environmental conservation law...

So if those are true gravity knives (which we know they are not), you are allowed to own them if you are hunting and/or fishing with a valid license. Am I missing something here? Since when is a fixed blade K-Bar a gravity knife. What shall I use to clean my deer, a sharp rock?

OK, how does this make sense, NY city law states the following exemption:

6. Possession of a switchblade or gravity knife for use while hunting,
trapping or fishing by a person carrying a valid license issued to him
pursuant to section 11-0713 of the environmental conservation law...

So if those are true gravity knives (which we know they are not), you are allowed to own them if you are hunting and/or fishing with a valid license. Am I missing something here? Since when is a fixed blade K-Bar a gravity knife. What shall I use to clean my deer, a sharp rock?

ka-bar's aren't gravity knives...its just saying that automatic knives, and true gravity blades (which technically are otf knives) are legal to carry if your hunting, when they any other time (though how much sense that makes in the NYC area I do not know, because hunting seasons are closed on long island/NYC

Charles that is the NY STATE law not the city. The city ( Admin code) bans knives with over 4" blades unless you are going to and from certain activities, which included fishing. I sense the KABAR was pictured due to the blade being over 4".

The section quoted 265.20#6, was put into the law back in 1958 when the law was passed to cover the use of knives already owned. Due to the wording, it does cover a knife that you possess for those reasons, but I would not recommend carrying a switchblade around all day saying you are using it for fishing....

Let me show you guys a screen shot from the Press Conference that will help explain why this is a big deal:

image1.jpg

When a government uses twisted "facts" to create a publicity campaign then you've got a problem.

Fact 1) If you look at the Manhattan DA's Press Release the number of arrests in 2009 was 2,269 (5th paragraph). Yet somehow in this video the number has jumped to "more than 3000"

Fact 2) According to their definition of a "gravity knife" this may or may not be the case. but the rest of the United States doesn't seem think a manual folding knife is a "gravity knife." Obviously they make no mention of the numerous ownership exceptions for these laws.

Fact 3) This is simply a red herring. What knives were really used in these stabbings. Sensationalism sells.

The bottom line is that New York wants to police the entire country. This will affect everyone.

i think they put the Ka-bar there because they are perceived as "combat" knives. they are just trying to paint knives as weapons instead of tools.

image1.jpg

Good point on #3. What % of these stabbings were completed with kitchen knives or screwdrivers? I would bet a paycheck that kitchen knife+screwdriver stabbings far outnumber the "gravity" knife stabbings in NYC.

The pocket knife industry is an American industry. Why, in this economy, are lawmakers harassing and penalizing American businesses and American industry from producing something which is NOT used in crime any more than a frying pan, kitchen knife, or pillow? Why, because it is the easy choice. I think that this is something that the NRA should be aware of and together with the NRA, Knife Rights, etc, they should write letters to Obama with CC to David Paterson.

To Write To The Governor click on this link: http://www.state.ny.us/governor/contact/index.html

In case the link doesn't work, here is the address:
David A. Paterson
State Capitol
Albany, NY 12224

518-474-8390

Last edited:
Letter writing ( or emails) is always a good idea, but remember this law is 51 years old! It is the modern day enforcement of it by the DA in Mahatten and a few of the other NYC Boros that are really the issue. The real fix hear is either a change in the wording of the law, or a case that hits the Court of Appeals where the judge is as reasonable as the one in the Izzarry case, and makes case law that clears up what was really being banned back some 50+ years ago. ( that would be the true OTF gravity knives).

Makes me want to just give up! I live in NYC. I'm a licensed gun owner, I own several knives, I use one at least daily for purposes other then committing crime. Did I mention that I smoke too?

That makes me the lowlife that it's politically correct to discriminate against these day's in NYC.

Guess my 20 years of decorated service in the US Coast Guard, and the fact that I was deployed to NYC after 9/11 to help protect this city means nothing.

I'm a retched knife owner walking around with my BM "Gravity knife" just looking for trouble..............

It makes me sick to see where we have come!

http://www.state.ny.us/governor/contact/index.html[/url]

In case the link doesn't work, here is the address:
David A. Paterson
State Capitol
Albany, NY 12224

518-474-8390

It's all about despots in control of this country - local despots, city despots, state, federal - you name it. This is something we need to correct while there is still time to correct it (if there is still time to correct it).

Im going to go out on a limb and say that the majority that resides in NY County (aka Manhattan)either support or dont care about the NY County DA prosecuting and/or shaking down businesses that sell knives. Most of those same people likely think Vance is doing a "great job" fighting crime. And anything sharper than a dull spoon made out of styrofoam is a dangerous weapon. Vance is an elected official, and these are the type of people that put him there. I think it will take a superceding federal/state level mandate that overrules the NY County DA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back