Outrage: NYC DA Shakes Down Knife Retailers

Status
Not open for further replies.
This Vance character is just another jerk trying to make a name for himself... Man , I despise his mindset.

Tostig

I sense a trend here, of following what's happening in England where knives are pretty much forbidden, what some over there are doing is carrying surefire flashlights for self defense. NY is next apparently ... those "dangerous" knives. :rolleyes: And I really think they are going to take it to the next level someday soon:grumpy:.

How about an easily obtained permit where as long as you don't have a felony you can carry any knife and you only need to get it one time? Would that really be bad? I know I know .. a knife permit, it really sucks but I'd do it if that's what it took and I could carry anything I wanted, NY can be a nuts place...just my $.02.

Yes that would be bad. If you pretend the government has the right to license your rights, you have no rights.

I'm a dirty "_ag" liberal from San Francisco.

Out here if you own a handgun, you are a twisted psycho.

This happened to me, just this morning at work:

Person: "There are bagels in the kitchen" (as they munch on their bagel)
Me: "Sweet!" (I go and get a bagel, slice with Leek, come back into the room munching on bagel)
Person: "Woah, your bagel is all cut and stuff. How did you do that?"
Me: "With a knife."
Person: "Sweet, where did you find a knife!? I had to tear mine with my fingers."
Me: "In my pocket."
Person: "You bring a knife in your pocket, to work????"
Me: "Uhhh...yes..."
Person: (looks astonished) "I don't think that is the best idea."
Me: "Well, I didn't have to tear my bagel with my fingers, so..."
Person: (utterly blank stare)

Perfect example of the problem. People fear what they don't understand. I live in a place in the world where the rest of the country thinks we are all fetishists and degenerates. Conversely, out here, being a red neck with a shotgun rack and big truck is usually laughable. Cowboy boots are pretty much outlawed.

Yet even I, liberal as I am...I'm completely fed up with this country. I want to move to Montana or somewhere that I can carry a gun, and a knife. Protect myself, my family, my kids. Camp somewhere without a having a specific permit in a specific exact location, where you have to get reservations. This country is off it's rocker. First people voted for Bush which made me sick. Then people voted for Obama which made me sick. No knives, no guns, no red meat, no fires, no fun, no laughter...just big corporations to buy stuff from, and work overtime for.

And now the DA of arguably the most important city in the country, is outlawing knives...

Get into your little cages, Big Brother needs your body heat and labor to fuel the machine.

-Freq

Last edited:
I am like the rest of you disgusted. It was disturbing watching the video. Last summer I visited NYC and went to Paragon. It had the best knife selection I had ever seen. Now? Though this won't deter me from visiting NYC or do much to prevent me from possibly moving there. If anything I think more of us should take up residence there so we can vote people like Vance out.

Why is that people ask us why we have knives at the very moment they are useful to us?

That questioning annoys the hell out of me and happened countless times at work. When the power went out, I was lending my photon led keychain to people and kept getting asked why I carried it and if I was in the boy scouts. Never was in the scouts, though why would that be a prerequisite for being prepared? A grabbed a flashlight from my car the same day, which wound up only causing more questioning. I carry a lighter, but don't smoke and every time somebody needs it I get asked why I carry it. Sucks more when the person who you are helping out gives you crap for carrying it lol.

It sadly comes down to caring. People care about what they like and do and haven't the slightest interest in others. Plenty of people couldn't care less about guns/knives, but the second they are told they can't buy the latest tech gear or watch their favorite show they are bent out of shape.:barf:

BTW!!! If you take a look at the article linked to in the main post, http://dnainfo.com/20100617/manhatt...ree-stop-selling-illegal-knives-cy-vance-says, Vance is quoted to saying "It should be a "DNA eligible" offense, meaning those arrested for possession would be swabbed and entered into law enforcement databases so they can be tracked if their DNA is found after another crime." Even if you had a blatantly illegal knife, who does that even come close to deserving that sort of repercussion?

At least our streets are safer.........

Just another DA trying to make a name for himself by filling the city coffers. Stupid and lame, but the damage is done. Those stores will never risk getting hit again.

I'll echo freq18hz, at least in part, I'm a serious liberal, but this is nuts.

Last edited:
Just another DA trying to make a name for himself by filling the city coffers. Stupid and lame, but the damage is done. Those stores will never risk getting hit again.

I'll echo freq18hz, at least in part, I'm a serious liberal, but this is nuts.

Sadly the truth. It is bad enough a good knife store can be hard to come by, but with this it is even worse since most stores won't even think of selling a lot of knives that even resemble the knives that are in question.

The worse thing with news like this is that we simply want to enjoy the knives and have the pleasure of owning different knives. No real good comes from any of this and we wind up suffering because of it.

I'm a dirty "_ag" liberal from San Francisco.

Out here if you own a handgun, you are a twisted psycho.

This happened to me, just this morning at work:

Person: "There are bagels in the kitchen" (as they munch on their bagel)
Me: "Sweet!" (I go and get a bagel, slice with Leek, come back into the room munching on bagel)
Person: "Woah, your bagel is all cut and stuff. How did you do that?"
Me: "With a knife."
Person: "Sweet, where did you find a knife!? I had to tear mine with my fingers."
Me: "In my pocket."
Person: "You bring a knife in your pocket, to work????"
Me: "Uhhh...yes..."
Person: (looks astonished) "I don't think that is the best idea."
Me: "Well, I didn't have to tear my bagel with my fingers, so..."
Person: (utterly blank stare)

Perfect example of the problem. People fear what they don't understand. I live in a place in the world where the rest of the country thinks we are all fetishists and degenerates. Conversely, out here, being a red neck with a shotgun rack and big truck is usually laughable. Cowboy boots are pretty much outlawed.

Yet even I, liberal as I am...I'm completely fed up with this country. I want to move to Montana or somewhere that I can carry a gun, and a knife. Protect myself, my family, my kids. Camp somewhere without a having a specific permit in a specific exact location, where you have to get reservations. This country is off it's rocker. First people voted for Bush which made me sick. Then people voted for Obama which made me sick. No knives, no guns, no red meat, no fires, no fun, no laughter...just big corporations to buy stuff from, and work overtime for.

And now the DA of arguably the most important city in the country, is outlawing knives...

Get into your little cages, Big Brother needs your body heat and labor to fuel the machine.

-Freq
I had a similar experience. One day, I needed to use the office copy machine and found it jammed with a triple-feed that someone just decided to walk away from. All of the trouble-lights were on, indicating a real problem. I used my German army pocket knife (a slip joint, similar to the SAK and made by Victorinox), which is about as sheeple-friendly a knife as one can carry, right? WRONG! After unjamming the machine, I was summoned into the supervisor's office and asked why I was carrying a knife at work in violation of the rules against weapons. Apparently, one of the co-workers who watched me unjam the machine decided to make some trouble and turn me in. I explained that the knife was a tool, not a weapon. The supervisor examined it, returned it to me and told me to keep it in my pocket and out of sight, but he did thank me for fixing the machine. Most people, he noted, would have just left the problem for someone else to take care of.

Why is that people ask us why we have knives at the very moment they are useful to us?

I don't know. When I was younger I always carried two knives (I still do) I worked where we needed to open about 200 50lb bags of fertilizer. My boss was tearing at the bags making a mess while I was cutting them cleanly with my knife. I finally asked him if he would like to use a knife. He said SURE! I pulled out my back-up and he said, "why do you carry two knives" in a condecending voice. I simply satated infront of every one, "I carry one for myself, and one for people who are unprepared for their job." He shut up after the classic "did I really just hear that? stare. I just kept on cutting.

Nice! My boss has used my Vic Huntsman to open boxes up. She thought it was cool. I told her I got my first SAK from my mom. :)

Nice! My boss has used my Vic Huntsman to open boxes up. She thought it was cool. I told her I got my first SAK from my mom. :)

People are different depending on location. A friend from Maine got a motorcycle from his parents before it had a car or his driver's license for one. Guns were another thing I believe he had at a younger age than most. Was just how you did things. Now my parents on the other hand....wasn't until I was a little shy of 21 yo before I had my motorcycle and around the same time I got my shotgun. That was completely on my own too.

I visited Paragon a few weeks ago when I was in NYC for the weekend. I was shocked by how few knives they had in their display case. At the time I wondered if there was a legal/political reason for the sudden disappearance of all their locking, folding knives. Now I know.:barf: I wish I was working full-time so I could contribute some $$$ to Kniferights to fight this insanity.

I had an order for a folding knife that was back ordered cancelled by Knifecenter due to this action. I do not live in NYC and where I live they are not on the band wagon for the way the Manhatten DA is acting. Now Knifecenter ( and maybe others) will not ship any knives but kitchen ware to the whole state of NY! A bit of a over reaction it would seem! Are there no sellers/dealers/manufacturers who will stand up for the NY customers/knife users?

i also do not live in nyc but cannot receive any pocket knives or multitools when will the uprising and lawsuits begin? i have written multiple letters and emails to many of my representatives with little reaction from them in this state they just want to collect your taxes and have you shut your mouth, i cannot wait to leave to breathe freedom

The greater problem is that KNIFE CENTER (perhaps the largest online retailer of knives) has found it necessary to stop selling all but kitchen knives, not just to those in New york City but to customers THROUGHOUT THE ENTIRE STATE. If a comparatively large retailer of knives, located in Delaware, feels it is in their best interest to halt sales, apparently due to the threat of accused criminality, then can a smaller retailer afford to do otherwise. Lawyers and law suits can be devastatingly expensive. As the number of sellers decrease, those choosing to continue doing business will become more conspicuous targets for adverse pressure. OldDude1

Luckily we have a LANDMARK supreme court case that should be decided next Monday, the 28th. For those unfamiliar, it's McDonald v Chicago. And pretty much everyone in the know says it's going to go over well, and incorporate the 2nd amendment against the states.

Now, it's not an instant win for everyone else in other states, but it will set VERY strong precedent to remove ridiculous weapon laws.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonald_v._Chicago

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back