Outrage: NYC DA Shakes Down Knife Retailers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't let the above posters rants fool you. The kind of scenarios he's describing can happen in any state or jurisdiction. NYC has some of the strictest laws, but the rest of the state is for the most part quite reasonable in their application of the laws concerning knives. As i see it, the companies that are not shipping to NYS are covering their backsides, which is their prerogative. It may work out that when enough NY'ers feel outraged at not being able to purchase a simple hunting knife because of vances actions, they may work themselves up enough to do something about it.

Also, while NYC municipal code says all knives must be concealed, NYS Penal Law says that a knife concealed on one's person or in one's car "implies intent to use it unlawfully" -- and here they are frisking people on the street for suspicion of being suspicious. It is a coin toss what will happen. No-one can say for sure, even if they're a LEO or an attorney. NY kinda sucks that way. :(

The only time there was ever a NYS law against a knife being concealed was the Old Sullivan Law which was replaced by the PL. Please show me where the PL says it implies intent as you posted?

The only time there was ever a NYS law against a knife being concealed was the Old Sullivan Law which was replaced by the PL. Please show me where the PL says it implies intent as you posted?

Actually, I may've been mistaken. It appears that mere possession implies "intent."

NYS Penal Law, Article 265.15.4

The possession by any person of any dagger,
dirk, stiletto, dangerous knife or any other weapon, instrument,
appliance or substance designed, made or adapted for use primarily as a
weapon, is presumptive evidence of intent to use the same unlawfully
against another.

Don't let the above posters rants fool you. The kind of scenarios he's describing can happen in any state or jurisdiction. NYC has some of the strictest laws, but the rest of the state is for the most part quite reasonable in their application of the laws concerning knives.

That is true, to an extent.

It is not uncommon to see hillbillies and hunters with sheath knives on their belts when they go into the cities (other than NYC), and they are seldom harassed by police.

For 5 years I EDCed a Vaquero Grande in a Kydex belt sheath in full view of numerous police and never had a single comment about it.

I once had a balisong confiscated by NYSP during a traffic stop, but had it returned to me when I went down to their barracks the following day (they were still legal during the 1980s).

But, my brother had his entire knife collection seized by police during an unlawful search, and they refused to return any of them.

In NY newspapers on several occasions, I have heard about persons whose homes were searched being accused of having a "weapons cache" that included no firearms -- only knives.

My cousin, who was employed as a carpenter, was arrested on weapons charges for "dangerous instrument" because a policeman saw a hammer on his floorboards during a traffic stop.

So, it depends . . .

I am glad that I have never live in New York. To me it sounds like one of most mess up state in the USA. When we down here in fl had the switchblade law under review the cops didn’t go hog while on you just because you had one on you. You being very nice and polite they just let it go and gave you the speeding ticket and on your way. They way it sound up in New York it is a death sentence for just having one that they didn’t like or just that they where board that day.

They way it sound up in New York it is a death sentence for just having one that they didn’t like or just that they where board that day.

At the minimum it is a misdemeanor with up to a year in jail. If you have been charged with any other crime within the past 5 years you may have the charge upped to a felony.

With HIV/HEP/Tuberculosis rampant in the Tombs and other overcrowded correctional facilities, yeah, a few months in a cage with the deviants could very well be a "death sentence." Over a pocketknife that you didn't even know was illegal.

Plaza Cutlery is no longer shipping to NYS.

So far it's:
Emerson
Plaza Cutlery
Knife Cellar
True North Knives
EBossHoss,
KnifeCenter
and I think that's it.

Last edited:
There seems to be a lot of mixed reaction to dealers that won't ship to NY state (by the way, you can add BladeHQ to your list). Maybe these dealers know something that the general public doesn't know.

Maybe they know that an online knife dealer outside of NYC (outside of NY State) was targeted by the Manhattan DA. Maybe they know that this dealer has spent over $30,000 so far defending his company against Manhattan. Maybe they know that NYC's planned phase II (specifically targeting online dealers who sell to NY) is still hanging in the air. Maybe they know that Manhattan is literally giving money to other counties in NY state to fund similar anti-knife efforts. Maybe they know that whatever money they might make in NY isn't worth the worry, the sleepless nights or the potential legal hassles that may or may not come.

-Cam

Maybe they know that an online knife dealer outside of NYC (outside of NY State) was targeted by the Manhattan DA. Maybe they know that this dealer has spent over $30,000 so far defending his company against Manhattan. Maybe they know that NYC's planned phase II (specifically targeting online dealers who sell to NY) is still hanging in the air. Maybe they know that Manhattan is literally giving money to other counties in NY state to fund similar anti-knife efforts. Maybe they know that whatever money they might make in NY isn't worth the worry, the sleepless nights or the potential legal hassles that may or may not come.

-Cam

Not to mention these are small businesses that would probably be totally wiped out by a protracted legal battle. I'm willing to bet that most of these companies are giving money to kniferights.org though. I wrote a letter to KCI (since they take most of my knife money) about this and the reply I received was to that effect. None of them wants to lose business from NY, but on the same token, at the moment, they could lose their livelihood from it.

There seems to be a lot of mixed reaction to dealers that won't ship to NY state (by the way, you can add BladeHQ to your list). Maybe these dealers know something that the general public doesn't know.

-Cam

Seems like a pretty good reason, to stay far away from New York, if you are selling knives of any variation. I know UniqueBlade is yet another company that doesn't ship to new york, I am willing to guess, the gain doesn't compare to 10's of thousands in legal fees.

It seems to me, New Yorkers need to vote differently and need to start supporting the dealers and climb the manhattan hill and slap Vance off it!

Last edited:
Seems like a pretty good reason, to stay far away from New York, if you are seling knives of any variation. I know of several stores that won't ship to new york and certainly don't gain any decent revenue, when compared to 10's of thousands in legal fees.

It seems to me, new Yorkers need to vote differently and need to start supporting the dealers and climb the manhattan hill and slap Vance off it!

Enough of the NYS bashing......
It's not the whole states fault that a Rogue Extortionist DA is in office in the City, which is a tiny part of the rest of it. I sure as heck didnt vote him into office. It is going to be a battle to remove him now that Home Depot and some of these same companies have stopped shipping to the whole state and have paid his corrupt fees to avoid prosecution, thereby giving him the ammunition he needs to declare himself in the right and the money to go after anyone he pleases. It's like paying the bully that steals your lunch money...you know darn well he's gonna keep doing it until you stand up to him and slap him down. They would've been better off banding together and lawyering up while getting with kniferights and AKTI to file injunctions and class actions against him to make him use his money for lawyers and fees instead of buying other politicians and propoganda schemes.
Your average joe has less of a concern in this matter than these companies, If they arent going to make a stand against this, why should they expect the average citizen to do it for them? If anyone should be maligned and boycotted, it is those that are allowing this precedence to be set by paying the fees and not standing up for themselves.

Last edited:
It's not the whole states fault that a Rogue Extortionist DA is in office in the City, which is a tiny part of the rest of it. I sure as heck didnt vote him into office. It is going to be a battle to remove him now that Home Depot and some of these same companies have stopped shipping to the whole state and have paid his corrupt fees to avoid prosecution, thereby giving him the ammunition he needs to declare himself in the right and the money to go after anyone he pleases. It's like paying the bully that steals your lunch money...you know darn well he's gonna keep doing it until you stand up to him and slap him down. They would've been better off banding together and lawyering up while getting with kniferights and AKTI to file injunctions and class actions against him to make him use his money for lawyers and fees instead of buying other politicians and propoganda.
Your average joe has less of a concern in this matter than these companies, If they arent going to make a stand against this, why should they expect the average citizen to do it for them?

You have missed the post made by Vidknight and several others. There isn't a finanical interest to fight and yes if you want knife rights in New York, you better fight for them, or you will get what Vance dishes out to you, when you make your next knife purchase. Vidknight clearly stated Vance is giving money away to get other DA's to join the fight. Wouldn't you join for free money? If you did vote, maybe the next DA to join in the kaos, will be the one you voted for.

You can rest assured, this subject matter, is far deeper than you know. It will have a wave affect, if the local voters don't stand up. You honestly think Vance or other Da's in New York care about some outside knife company? Those votes don't count at all!

No New York bashing in my post, just hard reality! I do appreciate your outrage, now direct that energy to joining kniferights.org, akti.org and or writting a letter of disgust and send it to your local officials.

Last edited:
And where did Vance get the free money to be able to give away free money? From the very people he is persecuting. If he werent gaining mass revenue from this to be able to give away, other politicians would probably not give him the time of day. Most of the state did not have a hand in electing this DA, nor could they vote for or against him. The people in NYC could hardly have known that vance was going to pull something like this when they elected him into office. Yet people such as yourself are expecting the average new yorker to do something about it now that he is. It is too late for that now. In order for this to be properly fought, it is going to have to come from the companies directly involved, that is how the legal system works. The way to slay this dragon is to cut off it's head (revenue) and make yourself heard in court. If these companies are unwilling to stand up for themselves, how can they expect us as new yorkers to back them up? Are the citizens of the state of the aforementioned online dealer doing anything about this? I hardly think so. Are they able to do much of anything, other than to voice their displeasure and support their favorite knife organisation? Probably not. As an upstater, i am in the boat with the rest of the country. The best (and pretty much the only) way is for me to support kniferights and AKTI as best i can and to send letters when these organisations call for them. I do know one thing, though, We new yorkers have a long memory and if we upstaters are going to be penalised for the actions of a few as if our revenue isnt enough to matter, then we will buy from others who feel that it is and are willing to stand up and help fight this rather than hiding,boycotting or feeding the dragon.

Last edited:
It's not the whole states fault that a Rogue Extortionist DA is in office in the City, which is a tiny part of the rest of it. I sure as heck didnt vote him into office. It is going to be a battle to remove him now that Home Depot and some of these same companies have stopped shipping to the whole state and have paid his corrupt fees to avoid prosecution, thereby giving him the ammunition he needs to declare himself in the right and the money to go after anyone he pleases.

I was unaware that some companies actually paid these unlawful "fees."

Their legal departments need to file complaints with the NYS Attorney General about his misconduct. I do not think there is any legal justification for him to demand fees, and to accept money in exchange for dismissing criminal charges is clearly unethical if not illegal. He should be disbarred and removed from office. :thumbdn:

I was unaware that some companies actually paid these unlawful "fees."

Their legal departments need to file complaints with the NYS Attorney General about his misconduct. I do not think there is any legal justification for him to demand fees, and to accept money in exchange for dismissing criminal charges is clearly unethical if not illegal. He should be disbarred and removed from office. :thumbdn:
I know i read it in this or one of the threads about this, but yes, Home Depot and possibly other big names such as Wally World have paid his blood money to avoid being prosecuted. I dont know if walmart has paid, but it wouldnt surprise me.
I wholeheartedly agree that with you that these companies need to step up and legally fight. I also am a NY'er that feels that vance has overstepped and is as corrupt as they come. He should be disbarred, removed and even possibly prosecuted under RICO Act. http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...ricoh+act+definition&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Last edited:
The companies he got money from are listed for the most part in his press release. Walmart does not have any NYC stores. Home Depot and Paragon sports were the biggest payees. I have reviewed this with several NY ADAs and all of them are amazed at his tactics. No one has stated their office is jumping on the band wagon on this at all, but I clearly understand why knife companies would be concerned about their exposure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back