Paddling into 2013

Ha ... so it's just my dialup then. I had to laugh ... poor Jake. Thanks for letting me know. That clip was done here on the 16th. Today I had to wade out well over my rubber boot tops and put a line on the kayak. It was floating and nearly on its way toward the falls. In fact that's how I got my first canoe here. The river brought it to me one spring, nobody claimed it from the OPP (Ontario Provincial Police) after 6 months .. and the rest is history. Today as well, the road here is closed to traffic with river flowing over well above my boots. Can't get near to where I took the pictures on the 16th. s

Heh! Jake is resiliant. He gets over surprises and disappointments faster than I do. I only wish I could be so happy all the time!

My river rose from 780 cubic feet per second/4.0 feet level to 1940 C.F.S./5.47 feet level today after last night's rain. So a Saturday float is off the table but Sunday may work. I hope.

My last canoe which was stolen from me five years ago, was a storm recovery also. It was found floating in Pensacola Bay after Hurricane Andrew by the guy I bought it from. It was a mess when I got it as it had set half sunken in a backwater bayou and had weeds growing in it. I cleaned it out, trashed the tube framed, lawn-chair-webbed seats and bent thwarts and replaced them with Old Town ash and cane. It was a good, servicible canoe but I had more in the seats and thwarts than the canoe cost me. Still, I hated to have "Opal" stolen. After she survived Hurricane Andrew, and I rebuilt her, she survived dead-center hits from both Hurricane Opal and Hurricane Aaron, tied to the posts of my carport. And then quite a few trips in Florida, Arkansas and then here in Tennessee. Admittedly, her fiberglass bottom was quite leaky and shreaded by the time she was acquired by her new "owners", but still I hated to lose her.

Just as I feared. The river has continued to rise through the night and stands at 2,370 cubic feet per second discharge and 6.04 feet on the gage this morning. I guess I'll spend the day working in the yard and cleaning up the canoes, trailer and paddling gear in case the river drops enough by tomorrow morning for a paddle. Normal flow is 640 C.F.S. and around 3' on the gage. I can handle more than that, but not double by myself. At that level the river goes through willow jungles that are normally gravel bars and islands, and new strainers are forming from trees newly fallen from the banks.

Water woes all around. There goes the Sunday paddle. Will your property flood?

Some residents North of here have been evacuated due to flooding. According to a local volunteer firefighter, others who access their property via a
little bridge that crosses the Black River, have also been evacuated; the news makes no mention. The water level is the highest I have experienced in
34 years observing. State of emergency in Bracebridge (30 road closings) and Huntsville (some residents evacuated by boat).

How do you get the data on the river flow? Several years ago, a flow velocity meter was installed here on the Black just above the larger of the two waterfalls. It bounces the information off a satellite to a community way downstream to help them prepare for flooding. The little hut was designed to blend into the landscape. It does look like a sturdy, rural one holer.

Kayak yesterday when I put a line on it

DSCF0462KAYAKFLOODCLOSE500MED_zps4db5a358.jpg

Kayak this morning

DSCF0466KAYAKSNOWCLOSE500MED_zps30098be2.jpg

'Noisy' :rolleyes: Low Falls yesterday

DSCF0432LOWFALLS500MED_zps5c2e837f.jpg

For comparison, Low Falls in autumn

LOWFALLSAUTUMN2500MED_zpsd6786aec.jpg

Roadway beside river

DSCF0425BLINKBONNIE500MED_zpsac124b6a.jpg

Flow velocity station. Looks like the river is undermining the bank under it. Tilt.

DSCF0405FLOWVELOCITYMETERHUT500MED_zpsc46677b6.jpg

Here, our government agency, USGS maintaines gages on major rivers and streams to measure flow data. I think it also uses sat uplink to transmit date to the USGS headquarters and they put in online where the public can access it 24/7. Here is the most current data for the Buffalo River near Flatwoods, Tennessee:

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/uv?site_no=03604000

You can search most U.S. rivers and lakes on that site. Some longer rivers have multiple gage sites.

No, I live in the low rolling hills West of the Tennessee River and at an elevation well above any river flood plains. My closest river is the Beech RIver about 1/2 mile to the North and about 100' lower normal pool elevation than my home. Flooding here in a heavy rain is limited to three to four inches deep surface runoff from the street and neighboring yards during a really heavy downpour. And my back yard turns to a wooded ravine which is quite steep, so the runoff has somewhere to go.

Elevation from the flood plain is high on the insurer's checklist; that's a given!

Even docile rivers like the Black here can be mighty and spectacular in their spring flexing. Honestly, I find the changeability to be a great part of the appeal; a new
day, a new paddle. Camp quietly on the bank and a world of interest eventually drifts by.

Without the leaf cover, the rumblings of the nearest waterfall downriver is a constant companion just now. It is simply exploding.

DSCF0545HIGHFALLSEXPLODES500MED_zpsdd120cf0.jpg

The river has risen up its bank here, that is all the way up these steps, to the level of high bank where I tie the canoe, mostly to secure it from being blown into the river. I tether the dock on dry land but at a lower level, expecting the spring rise to try to float it away.

IMG_4847STAIRWAYTOKAYAK500MED_zps94ecae64.jpg

DSCF0555CANOEDOCKHANGINGTOUGH500MED_zpsa58d37ea.jpg

The kayak was up on the high bank, off the ground, on planks, and covered in an area sheltered by trees. Beside it is one lawn chair and one lounge. After the river rose up the steps, it then rose high enough to lift the kayak above the top of the lounge and lawn chair. I mentioned earlier that I did wade out to tether the kayak because it was on the verge of floating away.

DSCF0559KAYAKCHAIRLOUNGE2500MED_zps5904cdb0.jpg

Road runs alongside the river here.

DSCF0514FROMLAMBERTROAD500MED_zps21a34b5d.jpg

MNR (Ministry of Natural Resources), I believe, doing something?

DSCF0524MNENEARBRIDGEAPR20500MED_zps7439938e.jpg

Some who chose not to evacuate earlier on are on the other side of this bridge. Pic not mine ... but posted on Facebook by a local, picked up by my daughter in Florida
and sent to me! Where the wonders of nature and technology collide! Happy to credit photographer when/if known.

MCCUTCHEONBRIDGEFOURCORNERS500MED_zpse83596d1.jpg

Codger, from above post [I hated to have "Opal" stolen. After she survived Hurricane Andrew]
I travelled a very devastated Homestead area following Andrew - the camps were full of construction crews. Tough about the theft. That would be hard to take. And now the fishing gear ... :grumpy:

Last edited:
Great pictures Susan. As your post about your local flooding indicates, as we mature, we begin to accept a lot of things that we cannot change. Such are the cycles of life.

As we both accept the rise and fall of rivers and the changes they bring, I accept as a fact of life that anything that can be owned can be lost, stolen or otherwise taken away from me. I am on the hunt next week for my power tools which were stolen last fall. A little birdie told me the other night who took them and where they were pawned. Maybe the shop still has them, maybe not. Either way, I refuse to let petty thieves dictate my outlook on life. I'll replace the tools and fishing gear, as I did the canoe, take a bit more trouble to secure them, and continue on as before.

Back to canoeing, my river is still slowly dropping this morning but stands at 1,570 cubic feet per second discharge and very nearly 5' in gage height. Still nowhere near optimal for me. Next weekend is the goal now if the weather and river cooperate. If not, there will be the next weekend with even more of my fishing gear replaced. And hopefully a more adequate, modern PFD that I strongly feel I need.

We have clear skies and sunshine today, so I intend to do more yard work, straighten out my tool shed and clean house before loading my service truck for tomorrow morning's scheduled work. All the while I'll be enjoying the flowers I have blooming out front and on my porch, watching the resident squirrels and birds. They are enjoying the hunt behind my efforts at removing leaves blown in around my buildings over the winter. What is mundane work for me is a bonanza for them.

My young friends in Arkansas are paddling like beavers nearly every day now, shifting from river to stream with the water levels. Ah to be young and full of energy, have a pile of disposible income and few responsibilities!

Agreed. Walking this world with enthusiasm is part gift and part will!

Update on flood here. Easy come, easy go ... as they say. Here are pictures by others, saving me the drive 'around' to access the other side of the flood.

BRIDGE1facebook_-1087757245_zpsc7572c42.jpg

BRIDGE2facebook_-1087757245_zpse37113ef.jpg

Yes! Yes! Kayak not 'Paddling to the Sea' on its own. Receding waters leave me thankful and wondering if I would be able to help anyone here affected by the flood. Will check with the community centre.

DSCF0561POSTFLOODKAYAK_zpsfb2e4c4d.jpg

Last edited:
I went on my first paddle of the season.

I took 5 scouts down to a little finger on the lake. The wind died down to a very light breeze (4mph or less), and the sun was shining.

I did not take any pics, as my phone was securely inside two zip lock bags.

I just dropped a nice chunk of change on a new kayak for my girl today. Now more cruizing in a late model old town otter for her.

Now I just have to wait for it to warm up a bit more and we'll be on the water just about every weekend (if this year turns out anything like last year)

I can't wait to get out and paddle, feels like I wait all winter for this time to come.

I went on my first paddle of the season.

I took 5 scouts down to a little finger on the lake. The wind died down to a very light breeze (4mph or less), and the sun was shining.

I did not take any pics, as my phone was securely inside two zip lock bags.

Those scouts will absolutely never forget their experience. Good on you. I am a senior and my earliest recollections are of such adventures shared with me by a canoe and wilderness enthusiast. Kudos.

I just dropped a nice chunk of change on a new kayak for my girl today. Now more cruizing in a late model old town otter for her.

Now I just have to wait for it to warm up a bit more and we'll be on the water just about every weekend (if this year turns out anything like last year)

I can't wait to get out and paddle, feels like I wait all winter for this time to come.

When financial opportunity allowed, I had to choose between a good canoe and a kayak ... and then between a sit-in or sit-on-top (SOT) kayak. The SOT can be a great swimming platform also! Sometimes unintended. Well, I thought it best to go with working both arms (as I already had a canoe) rather than just my right and j-stroke .... so chose a kayak. No sit-ins seemed viable for accommodating my two pups. You may have noticed the carpet pieces placed at both ends of the kayak ... traction mats for my two paddling companions. Tal and Desta. Got to tell you ... we have, all three, learned a lot about not 'tipping the canoe' and self rescue on our new SOT!

Last edited:
When financial opportunity allowed, I had to choose between a good canoe and a kayak ... and then between a sit-in or sit-on-top (SOT) kayak. The SOT can be a great swimming platform also! Sometimes unintended. Well, I thought it best to go with working both arms (as I already had a canoe) rather than just my right and j-stroke .... so chose a kayak. No sit-ins seemed viable for accommodating my two pups. You may have noticed the carpet pieces placed at both ends of the kayak ... traction mats for my two paddling companions. Tal and Desta. Got to tell you ... we have, all three, learned a lot about not 'tipping the canoe' and self rescue on our new SOT!

That's what I got her, a sit on top. I love my sit in and thought about getting her one but she wants something she can also use to get a tan on her legs.

I have to admit that I'm kinda excited to use it next time in in the ocean, deliberately tipping yourself is an excellent way to cool off :)

That's awesome you bring the dogs out with you. If I were to bring my brothers dog he would constantly fall in (doesn't have his sea legs). Heck, he can't even stay balanced while riding in a car.

Not only does Jake have four sea legs, he is his own smiley :) :)

Not only does Jake have four sea legs, he is his own smiley :) :)

Sea legs he has. I do need to get him a shower mat for the bottom of the boat though. He does quite well with the commands "In" and "Out" and can reboard usually without help. But I will admit that it helps to have a canoe with a wide beam when he puts his 45# on one gunnel and suddenly decides that the view on the other side is better. I haven't taken him out in the little 12' solo canoe yet.

But I will admit that it helps to have a canoe with a wide beam when he puts his 45# on one gunnel and suddenly decides that the view on the other side is better. I haven't taken him out in the little 12' solo canoe yet.

One of my most, ummmm,....... "enjoyable" paddles was with our dog, newly acquired from the rescue center. It seems that, once in the canoe, the only thing that concerned her was catching her own tail. Round, and round, and round, and round - stop - then back at it the other direction. I considered trying her to a thwart, but..... :rolleyes:

She's calmed down over the years, but its still exciting when she sees a duck off to the side!

The better half with our dog "Scotia":

Can ya see the frustration on my wife's face?

-Peter

Beautiful dog you have there! An active dog certainly can take the boredon out of a flatwater paddling trip! Jake is still young, and Llewellyn setters are high energy dogs. He's ready at the command to launch into the water for an extended swim. So far, he has only abandoned ship twice without the command, both times at inopportune moments when I was setting up for a difficult passage in a rapid with obsticals like strainers. Still, it is hard to stay mad at your grinning dog when he is having the time of his life! Canoeing is Jake's favorite thing to do. Other than riding in the truck to the river, his other most favorite thing. Come to think of it, everything we do together is his favorite thing, even going to the vet for shots, blood draws and butt swabs. :eek:

The river has dropped this week to 917 cubic feet per second discharge at 4.04 feet on the gage. But like clockwork, storms have moved in this evening. We've gotten an inch of rain so far, little wind but a lot of lightning and thunder. Forecast is 80% chance of thunderstorms tonight, tomorrow and tapering to 60% tomorrow night then 40% for Sunday. It isn't looking good for the home team this weekend.

On the bright side, I did get a canoe trailer tire leak fixed this afternoon, and used a gift card from my daughter to buy a Shakespere Ugly Stick and reel. And my wayward fishing lures arrived in the mail from my wayward son in another state. 21 Wordens Roostertails and seven Rebel Wee lures were rusted along with the Plano Mini-Magnum pocket tackle box. Hagerty's Jewelry Clean got the rust off all the lures and even the amber plastic box. So except for the weather, and still needing a better PFD, Jake and I are ready to hit the river and fish for smallmouths.

Unfortunaely/fortunately, the weather clears on Monday and Tuesday with temps up to the high 70's to low 80's... just perfect for a canoe trip. But also perfect to strip and seal a pool deck and install a new liner in the pool. Which gives me the funds for the trip, a pair of rear tires for the truck (I guess that is what it means when steel belts are showing), Jake's annual vaccinations and normal bills. Sometimes I hate being a resposible adult with duties. It was much easier when I was young and could just rip and go when the mood struck.

Again on the bright side, I sold the Quick-N-Easy canoe rack from my Falcon to a guy in New Jersey for enough to pay for the PFD. I just have to locate the right one at the right price and try to get it here before next weekend. If not, I'll just go with my old flat foam box store vest. It works ok, but I really need more floatation in a PFD that will turn me face up if I am unconcious. And not ride up the way the old "fisherman" vest does. On with the search.

ETA: I just dumped my rain guage of 2 1/2" of water since last night, that is 3 1/2" in the past 24 hours and the rain keeps coming.

Last edited:
Back