Paging Eric

I dunno man.

I am pretty sure that my fingernails would hold a better edge than crkt AUS8, and I KNOW that my Benchmade D2 will.

I was also very surprised with performance of my limited edition Ares with D2, and this is why I went with Dozier D2, it is interesting that D2 is both on the top and on the bottom. Which shows what is difference between production and custom HT.

But my biggest surprise - almost striking news were SR101 performance, because I always thought ZDP189 or CPM S90V or SRS-15 is super duper etc. Now I see that old and relatively inexpensive SR101 beat them all easy (as well as INFI sorry Jerry).

Fortunately I have few SR and especially SAR Rat - jewel of SR knives. I also like to see Ratmandu but with Magnum G10 handles and probably as a ideal addition - 3 1/2" SAR Rat if possible.

Thanks, Vassili.

Unfortunately Eric ain't Jerry's brother and maybe there is a bit of nepotism going on here. I probably just pissed off Jerry, Dan and Eric but damn guys, get us Rats something to feed on!! Put out another batch of 'Coots with Micarta or G-10 slabs. Feed me Seymour!!!

1. Dozier heat treated D2.
2. SwampRat SR101 (52100)
3. J.P.Holmes CPM 10V
4. Yuna knives ZDP189
5. Fehrman R3V (CPM 3V)
6. G-Sakai SRS15
7. Kershaw CPM S30V
8. Busse INIFI
9. Benchmade M2
10. Kiku Matsuda OU31
11. Diamond Knives Friction Forged D2.
12. Kershaw Sandvic 1326
13. Fallkniven 3G (SGPS)
14. RosArms 110x18
15. CRKT AUS8
16. Kershaw SG2
17. Benchmade D2

Thanks, Vassili.

No offense, but my conclusion is, clearly, these tests are not about the steels, otherwise you will not see that D2 is Rank #1 and Rank #17 at the same time.

I would guess this is about edge geometry.

No offense, but my conclusion is, clearly, these tests are not about the steels, otherwise you will not see that D2 is Rank #1 and Rank #17 at the same time.

I would guess this is about edge geometry.

There is process called Heat Treatment, which makes blade out of steel. Should be some info on google. It may be good - as Dozier has and it may be not so good.

Thanks, Vassili.

There is process called Heat Treatment, which makes blade out of steel. Should be some info on google. It may be good - as Dozier has and it may be not so good.

Thanks, Vassili.

Be careful, if I were you I would not go there.
People have no doubt on Benchmade's heat treatment process but not sure about your tests.

If you want to prove that results of my tests wrong, you should provide alternative test results.

Thanks, Vassili.

If you want to prove that results of my tests wrong, you should provide alternative test results.

Thanks, Vassili.

Again Nozh202 no offense here, I know nothing about your test. My point is in what basis you conclude that D2 ranks #1 and the last #17 is because of heat treatment.

You may learn about my tests here:

http://playground.sun.com/~vasya/Manila-Rope-Results.html
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=589139
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=509097

In short I sharpen blades under same angle to same sharpness level - hair whittling sharpness. And then after cutting manila rope certain times measure sharpness o very edge by thin thread. Thread is affected by very edge because it it very thin - so only angle of the edge really matter, blade grind, blade length does not matter, as well as edge thickness.

I eliminates all knife features but edge angle, which I sharpen same for all knives. So this is why I think it is only steel condition (composition purity and HT) - edge retention affect results.

Manila rope consists from many small threads which also need small part of the edge to by cut out and fall away (I cut 1/4"-1/3" from the end - cutten pieces of fiber jumps away).

Thanks, Vassili.

P.S. Sorry if I sounds of got defensive...

thanks

i just found a tiger hide one i sent a offer on

if that falls through

i buy one of those!

I think Cobalt would get a better response if he edits the price at the top of his thread when he changes it down the line. I looked at the top of that thread several times, but thought it was just coming back up to the top with plain old bumps rather than price reductions because I didn't scroll down.

Once again SR101 way way better in edge holding then INFI. This is my recent test results in more readable format I guess:

1. Dozier heat treated D2.
2. SwampRat SR101 (52100)
3. J.P.Holmes CPM 10V
4. Yuna knives ZDP189
5. Fehrman R3V (CPM 3V)
6. G-Sakai SRS15
7. Kershaw CPM S30V
8. Busse INIFI
9. Benchmade M2
10. Kiku Matsuda OU31
11. Diamond Knives Friction Forged D2.
12. Kershaw Sandvic 1326
13. Fallkniven 3G (SGPS)
14. RosArms 110x18
15. CRKT AUS8
16. Kershaw SG2
17. Benchmade D2

INFI is in the middle while SR101 is on top. So this "general impression" does not match formal test results. Which happened a lot to those "general impressions"... Of course this is "only" edge retention, but this is what I value in knife first. Plus it cost less, plus it tough enough to chops concrete block!

Obvious winner for me.

Thanks, Vassili.

I have to say, your test results seem fairly random. I've never seen any AUS-8 blade hold an edge as well let alone better than any D2 blade... And it seems you are testing edge retention on only one material. If that is the one material you're cutting the most, then it makes sense to you. But otherwise, not so much. Ever tested cutting, even chopping into wood instead of soft rope?

And I don't very well understand how you get the results you quote in your post. As an example... let's compare your Kershaw ZT302 S30V to INFI. According to you, the S30V ranks above INFI. But why and how?

From your table we find that:

S30 INFI
015 020
025 035
030 040
040 050
050 050
055 060
060 060
055 065
065 070
070 070
060 070
070 080
080 075
075 075

That looks pretty absurd. Some strange details:
1) The S30V starts out sharper than INFI - 015 vs 020. Weren't they supposed to start as sharp?
2) Although INFI started less sharp than S30V, by the time the test finished, both had dulled to be equally sharp (both 075). So it's pretty obvious which one dulled more, considering that it started out a tiny bit sharper. So, why is S30V ranked above INFI, if it in fact started sharper and ended up equally sharp?
3) Your knives seem to be sharpening themselves during the test, going from duller to sharper to duller again. Like the S30V going from 070 to 060 and then back to 070 again. Many of the steels in your test seem to do this, even 420HC. Now, I've sometimes felt as if a knife sharpened itself a little in use, but not with many steels, and only with hard materials, where the case was probably just the edge being misaligned and upon changing grip aligning itself again due to the forces on it changing. But this seems to happen constantly in your tests, which raises some pretty serious questions about how accurate your measurements are...

As for the actual topic, and I speak for myself alone of course: when there's so much INFI out there, it's hard to find any reason to want a Swamp Rat, or a Scrap Yard for that matter...

Last edited:
iirc, he tapes pieces of string to a hollowed out piece of wood then cuts the thread.

his results are supposed to represent the amount of pressure needed to cut the strings and the resulting edge retention.

seems to me there are lots of variables. and there is no way to create a reliable and repeatable experiment with impartial results.

iirc, he tapes pieces of string to a hollowed out piece of wood then cuts the thread.

his results are supposed to represent the amount of pressure needed to cut the strings and the resulting edge retention.

seems to me there are lots of variables. and there is no way to create a reliable and repeatable experiment with impartial results.

Sounds to me that unless he does this with an extremely precise machine, the results are bound to be completely up the wazoo... :eek:

LOL... You will learn that Vasilli's tests and results only make sense to him.

Aw now you gone and done it!

2835631070_af9247c2c6_o.jpg

Welcome to the club. :D

Yo Eric,
This is my point bro, the natives are getting restless, this lack of new steel from the Swamp is causing everyone to get pissy, we need some news from you to settle us down but.

Back