Patina Contest...WIN $100 Swamp Rat Shop Credit!!!

Discussion in 'Swamp Rat Knives' started by MaxRat, Apr 27, 2020.

1. cut it out

cut it out Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 11, 2010
    That patina is sick!!!!! Awesome job.

2. RATequila

RATequila

Dec 30, 2019
    Well it going to be memorial weekend and this competition is coming to an end so if you want to get in on this and have a chance at the $100 Swamp Rat shop credit get some pics posted here so we see them before we make a decision.

3. tinfoil hat timmy

tinfoil hat timmy Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2014
    Soon!

Reserved!

Jalapenos, tomatoes, apples, banana peels! Beware!

4. lex2006

lex2006 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 20, 2014
    [​IMG]

lmcq784 likes this.
  5. SpyderPhreak

SpyderPhreak Rocketman for hire Platinum Member

Apr 13, 2004
    When is it actually over? I've been adding to my patina, and using the MEGA Weiler for all sorts of stuff. Need to know when to post final shots. ;)

6. SpyderPhreak

Apr 13, 2004
    You're DQ'd from the contest, right? No fair otherwise, might as well call it now. :p

7. lmcq784

lmcq784 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 5, 2010
    I was planning on another project this weekend as well. When's the deadline?

8. RATequila

RATequila

Dec 30, 2019
    No I am not in the competition I will be part of the decision on who wins though but this is the last weekend for it. so get your pics in by Monday.

9. RATequila

RATequila

Dec 30, 2019
    The deadline is Monday 5/25/2020

10. SpyderPhreak

Apr 13, 2004
    Thanks for the info @RATequila ! I'll get a few pics this weekend.

11. tinfoil hat timmy

Aug 21, 2014
    I got nothing.

Good luck everyone!
    [​IMG]

954Ink likes this.
  12. clampdaddy

clampdaddy Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 31, 2013
    I absolutely love that finish you ended up with. Looks a lot like the color case hardening that manufacturers used to put on guns.

tinfoil hat timmy likes this.
  13. lmcq784

Feb 5, 2010
    Attempted one more blade with the recommendation of rubbing hot vinegar over the blade.

In order to not end up in a divorce, I let my wife in on the project! She painted the mountain scene, I did the vinegar.

Here it is:
    Fresh nail polish, front & back!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Into The Kitchen I go. (That's my "shop" pan, so I don't ruin anything nice)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I really like how the logo-side turned out
    [​IMG]
    The back side didn't work out as well as the nail polish started coming off pretty soon after I started. (Too thin a coat? Not enough cure time?)
    [​IMG]
    You can see the slight rainbow effect in this pic:
    [​IMG]

Hope you all enjoyed the pics!

tinfoil hat timmy likes this.
  14. lmcq784

Feb 5, 2010
    A couple more pics with Buy Brown pants

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. SpyderPhreak

Apr 13, 2004
    Here's where mine sits. I added some stripes with mustard not too long after my previous photos. It's been used a bit cleaning up the yard recently, then I added some more stripes with some sriracha (never tried that before). Not long after, it was used to cut up some potatoes, tomatoes, and grilled meat. This gave an overall bluish patina, and oddly, made the more recent stripes more blue than everything else. All I can figure is the sriracha "cleaned" the steel off a bit, and allowed the following stuff to blue the stripes more. Kind of a neat look which was completely unintentional, lol. ;) Pics!

IMG_5436.jpg

IMG_5437.jpg

IMG_5438.jpg

IMG_5439.jpg

Back side. There's more bluish patina near the cutting edge on this side for some reason.

IMG_5440.jpg

IMG_5441.jpg

One thing that always baffles me is how hard it is to get a good picture of patina on steel. Even messing around with the exposure and lighting angle, it never quite looks as good as it does in person. Anyway, best I could do this evening. :)

Last edited: May 26, 2020
  16. tinfoil hat timmy

Aug 21, 2014
    I've noticed that too. No matter how hard you try it wont be the same as seeing it in person.

lmcq784 likes this.
  17. RATequila

RATequila

Dec 30, 2019
    WINNER WINNER SWAMPRAT DINNER..... That is right folks we have come to a conclusion in the patina contest and everyone who posted pics of there patina was a candidate But there can be only one winner... or can there be more??? Well it comes down to 2 Mega Ratweilers we just could not decide between so well you guessed it your both winners. As for second place we couldn't decide on that either so there are two second place winners too.

1st place winner of $100 Swamp Rat shop credit goes to IMQ for this fine specimen
    [​IMG]

1st place winner also for $100 Swamp Rat shop credit goes to Spyderphreak for this fine specimen
    [​IMG]
    now for second place we were debating on these two over a bottle of rum and a bottle of tequila and at the end of the bottles we decided that these would be a tie for second and a $50 Swamp Rat shop credit. Winners are Lex2006 and IMCQ748

this is a nice stealthy piece from Lex2006 and gets a $50 Swamp Rat shop credit
    [​IMG]

this is a Beautiful mountain scene on a Swamp Rat custom from IMCQ784 and earns $50 Swamp Rat shop credit
    [​IMG]

I want to thank everyone for participating in this fun and exciting contest we really enjoyed seeing all of the creative things you all have done for this competition (and well yourselves I mean come on these blades are wicked cool now). Winners please contact amy via email [email protected] so she can take care of the details Thanks for Playing and we will have to do something like this again... or will we...!

lmcq784 and tinfoil hat timmy like this.
  18. lmcq784

Feb 5, 2010
    Woohoo! Thanks for the votes and the opportunity to play in the Swamp!

Congrats to the other well-deserved winners as well! Those patina'd blades are Swamp-cooler cool!

I'll be sure to split the winnings with my wife who painted the mountain scene! (She'll be getting her own midnight blue Mega Warden tomorrow, per UPS.)

19. tinfoil hat timmy

Aug 21, 2014
    Winner winner!

20. JACKMANDU

JACKMANDU Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 10, 2019
    Great work everyone! Congratulations