Patina Contest...WIN $100 Swamp Rat Shop Credit!!!

Good morning this is great news for wake up time today.
Congrats every body it was fun to do.
If life gives you lemons make Limoncello, we made 3 bottles last week so that is result of
36 lemons with a bit of saran wrap for an hour soaking after.
Thanks MaxRat and RATequila

Congratulations all of you.
Very nice work.

WINNER WINNER SWAMPRAT DINNER..... That is right folks we have come to a conclusion in the patina contest and everyone who posted pics of there patina was a candidate But there can be only one winner... or can there be more??? Well it comes down to 2 Mega Ratmandus we just could not decide between so well you guessed it your both winners. As for second place we couldn't decide on that either so there are two second place winners too.

1st place winner of $100 Swamp Rat shop credit goes to IMQ for this fine specimen
6imLKna.jpg

1st place winner also for $100 Swamp Rat shop credit goes to Spyderphreak for this fine specimen
O7SvzN5.jpg

now for second place we were debating on these two over a bottle of rum and a bottle of tequila and at the end of the bottles we decided that these would be a tie for second and a $50 Swamp Rat shop credit. Winners are Lex2006 and IMCQ748

this is a nice stealthy piece from Lex2006 and gets a $50 Swamp Rat shop credit
r3nNjHN.jpg

this is a Beautiful mountain scene on a Swamp Rat custom from IMCQ784 and earns $50 Swamp Rat shop credit
8QeJWb4.jpg

I want to thank everyone for participating in this fun and exciting contest we really enjoyed seeing all of the creative things you all have done for this competition (and well yourselves I mean come on these blades are wicked cool now). Winners please contact amy via email amy@bussecombat.com so she can take care of the details Thanks for Playing and we will have to do something like this again... or will we...!
Holy cow!!! :eek: I actually won something! :cool: That doesn't happen very often...

Thanks guys! I'll be taking this beast camping this weekend to properly break her in! :D I'll post pics next week after I get back.

Well, the kids did most of the firewood splitting over the weekend (they were properly trained first, so don't worry, lol), so I didn't get any pics of the MEGA 'Weiler in use. But it worked pretty awesome though. :thumbsup: Love this new Hybrid Grind! :cool: Got a couple glamour shots instead. ;)

IMG_5504.jpg

IMG_5505.jpg

I chopped the head off this White Drum to get the otoliths (lucky stones) out. No problemo.

-------WARNING, GORE PICS AHEAD-------

IMG_5506.jpg

IMG_5507.jpg

OK, I'm dumb. What are the otoliths? Or Lucky Stones, for that matter?
Same thing, different name (one proper, one nickname). They're very hard, shiny Calcium deposits in the ear of some (most?) fish and mammals (to a lesser extent) that help maintain balance and detect acceleration. They grow in rings like a tree, so biologists can use the growth rings to age a fish. They look almost like a cross-section of a large hailstone.

The otoliths in Drum happen to be much larger than most other freshwater fish. I've never kept a Drum until now, so I've never collected these before. My buddy wanted to try the meat, but I've heard it's not great. We shall see this weekend.

Ah. Thanks for the explanation. I couldn’t find anything on a brief I’net search that matched what I was seeeing in the photos. So I was all cornfused.

Here's my Swamp Comp Chubby Warden after a good scrub, then a nice, long, warm vinegar bath last night

IMG_5532.jpg

I darkened the exposure on this pic to make it look more like it does in person.

IMG_5531.jpg

A couple of my user comp finish in the Danny sheath:

IMG_5533.jpg

IMG_5534.jpg

The vinegar patina turned out interesting. I've noticed that the more recent SR-101 doesn't get the black/gray patina of old, it has more brown in it. It gives the look of a case-hardened revolver. I can live with that. :D :cool:

In case you're wondering how I did this, it's pretty simple. Start off by scrubbing the blade down with warm water and Dawn dish soap. Dry it off and soak/scrub it with acetone. This cleans and degreases it.

Next, fill a pot or pan with enough white vinegar to cover the blade. I laid a couple zip ties in the bottom to keep the blade from sitting right on the surface of the pan, to keep it mostly exposed to the vinegar. Heat the vinegar to a simmer over medium heat, so it's just barely steaming. Once the metal heats up to the same temperature, it will bubble profusely in the vinegar as the reaction takes place. Leave it in the vinegar for about 5-6 minutes, turning it over regularly.

Remove the blade from the vinegar. It will be jet black at this point (I wish it stayed looking like this), but that's just the carbon built up on the surface. Take it to the sink, and scrub the carbon off with a brush or sponge under running water. Dry the blade off and return it to the warm vinegar bath. Repeat this process however many times until you get the desired look. I did it 3 times and the patina on mine is a nice medium grey/brown with almost some hints of olive green. It's a bit splotchy for some reason (I've never encountered this using this same process many times before, no clue why), but as I mentioned earlier, it looks a lot like a case hardened antique revolver, and I cannot for the life of me get this to show up in the photos properly. HTH. :)

Another thing to note, this changes the feel of the metal's surface too. It goes from smooth and slick to a slightly matte, bead-blasted feel. It holds oil well though, and I do recommend a light wipe-down with some mineral oil.

Looking good guys !! As usual im getting to the party way to late.. but heres my mega ratweiler!
index.php
index.php

Back