Patina, not sure how to feel.

This is intended to be mostly in the realm of opinion but for folks who enjoy patina on their blades. I have a few knives in tool steels (ie: a2, d2, 1095) and I’ve always kept them as unstained as I could, but recently I wonder why. I know resale value probably is hurt but functionally is there any reason to continue the oiling and rubbing? Such as maybe a stained/patina blade would have more friction going through stuff.

Tl;dr help me decide whether to keep blades shiny lol

If I planned to resell a knife or keep them in a safe, I wouldn’t buy tool steel, M4, etc.

My M4 Spyderco Gayle Bradley’s blade likely looks like a stained mess to a serious collector but to me the knife is as new with some patina showing a bit of use.

I don’t bother keeping them shiny but may oil them a bit.

It looks beautiful and gives the knife character and soul.

If you don't like it keep your blades oiled, but I would let them patina because it looks good. ( Scratches can also hide under that patina )

Last edited:
I dont care for it myself. I wax to keep stains away. works better, if knife is prepped right, than oils and silicones and other ways. if stains/patina happens from use I'm fine with it and i dont put lots of effort to polish it away. I just like steel to look like steel. I really dont like forced patinas. they often look bad to me and I realize it's a personal dislike. too each their own.

Not to waffle, but it depends on what you use the knife for. If you only use it occasionally for mundane tasks, I would keep it oiled but if it is used for purposes such as special meal prep or camping type purposes, its patina has memories. :cool: I have an Opinel 8 with a lot of patina gained while prepping a couple of anniversary meals for the wife and myself; similarly, a Trailmaster with varied patina from chores such as cutting pine for a shelter, even slicing a lime for a Tanqueray tonic on a "gentleman's" camping trip. ;) Each time I use them the memories return. :D

I am mostly a collector. I avoid knives that have steels that patina over time. I just don't like it. IMO, it's a step above rust.

What? I can’t take them with me?

I hate the faux tiger stripe mustard patinas and cringe when I see them but I do love a natural patina.

It is just aesthetics really. I like the rustic and wabi sabi things in life and appreciate the look of wear, age and imperfection on some things including some knives. Some of it may even be nostalgia, reminding of when almost all knives looked that way. Barn boards, old copper, worn out jeans and a beat up pickup truck all have an aesthetic I appreciate.

I am also hard on stuff sometimes and find it hard to keep things looking new so embracing the wear and imperfection in things sets my mind at ease.

Also, patinas are easy to remove. Some metal polish and maybe if it is a deep patina a little fine wet dry sandpaper and you are back to shiny again. If it something like a Spyderco Bradley2 with grind lines running in opposite directions and you are concerned with keeping that then restoring the blade to new is a little trickier but you can still get the patina off.

Does patina actually protect against rust, or is this a myth?

It definitely helps a little but if you neglect it then you will still have issues. My experience is that you need a heavy patina to see noticeable protection. Some light color changing won’t do anything.

There are many products on the market designed to prevent corrosion that will work better than a patina. Most of them are a no go on kitchen knives which, in my opinion, is where the heavy patina still reigns supreme.

It definitely helps a little but if you neglect it then you will still have issues. My experience is that you need a heavy patina to see noticeable protection. Some light color changing won’t do anything.

There are many products on the market designed to prevent corrosion that will work better than a patina. Most of them are a no go on kitchen knives which, in my opinion, is where the heavy patina still reigns supreme.
I agree with this completely.

Having said that, from an esthetic standpoint, I personally like the look of a patina if it manages to give off some visible orange and blue amongst all the gray. For my own folding knife edc use, I'll let the blade patina in the hope that this happens but I'll use real protectants on the pivot area.

Does patina actually protect against rust, or is this a myth?
I've got knives with heavy patina I see no rust on and get no brown when wiped with an oily white cloth while a couple with very light patina that will brown a white cloth.
So this tells me a heavy patina will provide some rust protection while a light patina really won't ( and they're both the same steel from the same company too )

Personally, I like patinas, IMO it gives the blade character. Nothing wrong with trying to take care of your blades though but I wouldn’t view a patina as a negative thing if buying a used knife.

Back